HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:04 PM
Cobra Driver
Roxboro, NC
Joined Dec 2005
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle View Post
Red, The wings are secured with a small piece of either clear tape or the appropriately colored vynil. I just taped the bottoms on the bottom side and have had no problems keeping the top in place due to the rigging holding everything in alignment.

PAT
Thanks for the quick and helpful response!

Could I make a loop or hook, etc. on the fuselage and upper cabane strut and attach the flying wires to those during assembly at the field instead? Maybe a piece of control horn and use a clevis to secure and keep the flying wires taught. Or will this allow too much play?

Thanks again!
RedTwilight is online now Find More Posts by RedTwilight
Last edited by RedTwilight; Feb 07, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:24 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,595 Posts
Red

On my AgCat I used some rare earth magnets on the root ribs top and bottom and matching magnets on the upper center section and lower fuselage ribs. Works great. I also made a small brass bracket for each lower wing that I bolt to the fuselage for the bottom for added insurance. Just remember that the rigging wires are needed on the AgCat according to Pat.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:35 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Red, Adding harware, especially items like clevices add a lot of unnecessary weight, and will also look a little gangly on a model of this type. So, if you do go with detachable rigging, use a small "home-made" wire hook and loop attachment of some sort. I won't add a bunch of exess weight, take up a lot of space, or become obtrusive looking to detract from the overal look of the model.

PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:12 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,949 Posts
Magnets are a great idea for attaching wings on a plane like this.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:36 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,595 Posts
Greetings All

Well I finally took the bull by the horns and worked on getting the dummy radial mounted. That was the last thing to do aside from installing an RX and getting everything setup.

My flying buddy Ron is real good at working with plastics so he did up the radial. Did a great job on it also. In order to get it mounted I had to round off the corners of the motor mount box somewhat severely. After I had trimmed and sanded the box enough to allow the radial to slip in place I was a bit worried about the amount of the box I had to remove. So I cut some short lengths of 3/8" balsa triangle stock and finagled them into the corners and CA'ed them in place. When trimmed I then remounted the E-Flite park 400 and glued the radial in place with some silicone based adhesive. Added the prop and it looks like an AgCat.

Left to do: Bind up and install and RX and program the TX. Install the flight battery and add a grab tab on the battery access hatch. Check the balance and we should be ready to go. Hopefully the weather will cooperate in the next week or so we can get a flight or two in.

Will post some pictures later tonight or tomorrow. Now to consider getting ready to cover the AgWagon and Luscombe. And of course continue work on the P-3 Orion.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Dec 14, 2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:06 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,105 Posts
Well thanks to everyone posting photos and such , which gave me the drive to start assembly on mine ,.
I am slow ,but its winter , so I have time , its been to cold and windy to fly much .
wattman is online now Find More Posts by wattman
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:09 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,595 Posts
Greetings All

As noted above, attached are a couple of quick shots of my AgCat. Just about done, need to bind up the RX and set things up, add the flight battery and check for balance. Hopefully we will be able to get a test flight in soon if the weather cooperates.

Power is the recommended E-Flite 400 on a 2 cell 2000 LiPo. Covering is World Models Lightex using a scheme I found on Airliners.Net. Have not weighed it yet so I do not know the final AUW. Does not seem to be too bad in the weight department though.

Now to get the AgWagon and Luscombe done and continue on the P-3 Orion, plus the small J-3 Kitten. Plenty to keep me busy.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Dec 14, 2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:01 PM
Cobra Driver
Roxboro, NC
Joined Dec 2005
308 Posts
Looks GREAT! Just about the same color scheme I was thinking of. Good luck on the maiden flight!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:12 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Brian, she's a real creampuff...that radial looks pretty sweet too.
You should definitely get a video of the maiden for us!

Red, here's Brian's paint scheme for reference:

Looks a lot like a friend of mine's paint scheme, he's the reason I'm flying agcats right now
The dark gray and yellow paint give it a tough appearance.

That picture was taken when he was running a Garrett turbine conversion.

Oh, and while I was surfing the web looking at agcats, I found another showcat set up a little differently than Gene Soucy's:

WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:02 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,595 Posts
Greetings All

Well I have the AgCat pretty well wrapped up. Got the Hitec 6 ch RX bound up to the Aurora 9 TX and all the servos and ESC plugged . Everything goes the way it is supposed to go. Put in a 2 cell 2200 and checked the balance. Needed about 1 1/2 oz of nose weight to get everything worked out. At about 25 oz or so right now. I am always a few oz over Pats final weights. Can never figure out how he builds em so light. I have yet to see any of the designs of Pats that I have built mind a few extra oz. Usually in heavier covering and landing gear to fight back against our field which can get a bit rough sometimes.

Now to see if Mother Nature will cooperate and allow us a nice day or so for a test flight!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:26 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1,105 Posts
Has anyone measured a AgCat with a turbine conversion for length width , size at the prop shaft , so someone could build a turbine conversion model also ?
thanks
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:31 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,464 Posts
Three build at the same time - Wow! The ag cat is so pretty (In a pit-bull sort of way).
Best,
Robert
Robert R is online now Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:16 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
wattman, I can get you some measurements but it'll be a little while before I can.
Which style were you looking at?
Garrett, PT6, Walther???

Garrett:

PT6:

PT6: (what were the designers thinking?)

Walther: (apparently they were still thinking the same thing!)

WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:33 AM
Cobra Driver
Roxboro, NC
Joined Dec 2005
308 Posts
Wattman - It is 74" from the leading edge of the forward cabane strut to the face of the cowl for the Garret.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joined Jun 2004
1,105 Posts
The Garrett: one please , and thank you ,