Mar 14, 2013, 10:56 PM
I like Runnnnnning

Here' A Video

MOTIONRC F-16 FALCON PNF Flight Demonstration by Rich Baker in HD (5 min 9 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2013, 05:02 AM
Family, Work, FPV!
Based on my experience with the FMS F-18 I would think this would be a great first EDF. Looks really floaty on approach and not stupidly over powered. If you can fly warbirds and have your orientation sorted then I would think this would be no worries. I actually found landing the FMS F-18 to be easier than any of my prop planes. Very similar sized model...
Mar 15, 2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the input guys....this just went up my list of 'wanna buys'
Mar 15, 2013, 08:16 AM
I never have flown the Habu, everyone says its great, but I think a good entry level EDF is going to be of the 64mm variety running on a 3S pack, like this one is.

My first EDF was the Phase 3 F-16 and it was great because it was a little bit on the slow side and also it was a belly lander, which took a lot of the scariness out of landing.
Mar 15, 2013, 09:19 AM
Memento Mori
Thread OP
64mm are fun and more affordable. The habu is so stable though. Even in low speed and it handles wind a lot better than the 64mm birds. Plus parts are in abundance to keep you in the air longer. She can belly land also.

My first EDF was a J-Power/Sky Angle 50mm L-39. They're (50mm line) fun and super cheap which takes the nervousness out, but you have to research each model and check with the users thread as the CG in the manuals are typically wrong.

Here's some windy day Habu flying from me last year. Theirs some J-Power 50s on my page as well. Videos for the L-39, T-45 and T-33.

Parkzone Habu: Windy day flying (5 min 0 sec)
Mar 15, 2013, 09:28 PM
Well I maidened it this evening and it was an eventful maiden!

Just as it lifted off the ground we all heard a 'clunk'. It seemed terribly underpowered and I was fighting to keep it in the air. I flew several circuits and brought it down (thankfully in one piece).

Discovered when I retrieved it that the 'clunk' had been a rock going through the intake and had broke a blade on the impeller.

So it looks like this is going to be a hand launch aircraft for me, our runway has a ton of gravel on it.

BUT...........Motion RC actually HAS PARTS IN STOCK!!! A new fan is only $13 shipped. Heck, I might get two!

I do have video, I'll see if I can get it uploaded, its not pretty flying by any stretch.....
Mar 16, 2013, 06:19 AM
Family, Work, FPV!
Love to see the video mate. Glad you got it down in one piece!
Mar 16, 2013, 10:35 AM
Memento Mori
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by realms View Post
love to see the video mate. Glad you got it down in one piece!
+1!
Mar 16, 2013, 11:22 AM
RocHobby F-16 64mm EDF (2 min 35 sec)

My wife shot the vid with our 9 month old daughter in one arm.

It cuts off just before I land but I got it down OK

I kind of feel stupid now because even though I heard the noise as I was lifting off, I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I landed. I thought it was underpowered, possibly the bombs and drop tanks were too much, or maybe even the battery had an issue.

I'd like to point out that the design for accessing the motor is really nice! Also I placed an order last night for a new fan and they shipped it out this morning.... on a Saturday!
Mar 16, 2013, 11:29 AM
Memento Mori
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohdem View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrbD-...ature=youtu.be

My wife shot the vid with our 9 month old daughter in one arm.

It cuts off just before I land but I got it down OK

I kind of feel stupid now because even though I heard the noise as I was lifting off, I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I landed. I thought it was underpowered, possibly the bombs and drop tanks were too much, or maybe even the battery had an issue.

I'd like to point out that the design for accessing the motor is really nice! Also I placed an order last night for a new fan and they shipped it out this morning.... on a Saturday!
It still flew decent even with a busted fan. Better than some if these other cheap edfs

Motion seems to be awesome!
Mar 16, 2013, 09:33 PM
Memento Mori
Thread OP
With just the wing tip missiles and the EnrichPower 3s 2200 I came in at 1lb 10.8oz. Very light model. About 400watts and 33 amps on the Watt meter.
Last edited by Diesel6401; Mar 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Mar 16, 2013, 11:00 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Please tell your wife that she is an absolutely first-rate videographer - that would have been excellent video without baby in arm; with baby, spectacular.

Compared to much of the other vids out there, she is worthy of a good-paying job.
Mar 17, 2013, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Please tell your wife that she is an absolutely first-rate videographer - that would have been excellent video without baby in arm; with baby, spectacular.

Compared to much of the other vids out there, she is worthy of a good-paying job.
I showed this comment to her and she was very appreciative of the kind words!

You are right, she has become very good in the role of my "multimedia assistant". It is not easy to zoom in that close and keep the plane in the frame, especially in the bright outdoor light looking at a small 2" display. She is very good at it.

Full disclosure though, the video was ran through the youtube 'stabilization filter'. The original was a little more bumpy, but she still did a heck of a job.

She also took this picture last year, which I find quite amusing. (yes, its my plane)
Mar 17, 2013, 01:10 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Whoops.

We have all been there. Luckily, some of us don't have the "multimedia assistant" who can provide veracity to all our claims.
Mar 20, 2013, 07:18 PM
Family, Work, FPV!
My F-16 is on its way to Australia

Can't wait to shoot some flight footage. How's everyones holding up?

Quick Reply