SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:04 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2003
545 Posts
Question
2.4 use at Open class contests this summer

At the big thermal duration contests this summer, how many have switched to 2.4 in open class molded ships? Is it fifty-fifty (2.4 vs. 72Mhz) or a small percentage of pilots using 2.4 ?
Hoot is offline Find More Posts by Hoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:24 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Eventually everyone is gonna move to DSS frequencies. Whether 2.4 or 5.6GHz. 72Mhz FM is obsolete as it stands.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:28 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,609 Posts
2.4 was still a definite minority at the Polecat DLG contest last weekend.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:41 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,481 Posts
When we switched to narrow band on 72Mhz how many years did the AMA and/or FCC give us?

I'm guessing 72Mhz will be around for about 10 more years.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:58 PM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
I'd say that I'm currently 50-50.
About half of what I fly is on 72, half on 2.4. Contests and sport flying.
72 is definitely NOT obsolete in my stable, and works great at contests. 2.4 is wonderful, it allows me to go down the street and practise at the local church field where 72 is not allowed due to proximity to the local power club's field.
It's all good.
Robglover is offline Find More Posts by Robglover
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:04 PM
W0X0F
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2005
1,003 Posts
Steve if you had come out to the field today to fly with the rest of the club you would have seen that 1/3 of the planes flying were on 2.4 ghz. Oh, by the way you missed a great day for flying.

Walt
IBWALT is offline Find More Posts by IBWALT
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:33 PM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
At the big thermal duration contests this summer, how many have switched to 2.4 in open class molded ships?
Can't answer that exact question, but close.

What % of pilots entering one large contest are using 2.4? Look at the AMA NATS.

http://www.silentflight.org/NATS2008/Register.html

I added the #'s up. For the classes with large entries:
Code:
                2M    UNL      RES 
# entrants      62     96       86
# SS entrants    9     13       11
% using SS      15%    14%      13%
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:40 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
St. Louis
Joined Apr 2002
1,454 Posts
The table above is very informative, but we should note that Nats contestants may represent a biased sample. First, they are competitive by definition, and may be more likely to have the latest gear than a random sampling of flyers. OTOH, they may also be more likely to have carbon fuselages than a random sampling. In any event, it might not be accurate to guess that 14% of sailplane flyers have 2.4 gear.

Still, it's a big jump from zero, which is what it was not long ago.

Paradoxically, as more guys go to 2.4, the incentive to change diminishes, since the prospect of a frequency conflict 72 becomes lower and lower. So the dying-out of 72 will probably have a long tail, sort of like one of those exponential decay curves.

I've been on the 6 meter ham band for 30 years and I'm staying there with my sailplanes -- my park flyers and helicopters are on 2.4.
tonyestep is offline Find More Posts by tonyestep
Old Jun 22, 2008, 07:25 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,547 Posts
Hoot, from talking to Pete Goldsmith at JR/Horizon, our segment of the hobby has been slow in implemanting to 2.4, but...

As I have told Pete, 72 works just fine and is still and for a long forseeable time will be legal. some segments, such as IMAC, Pattern, and Pylon have changed almost entirely. IRCHA, the Heli guys at there jamboree held at Muncie, only ompounded about 175 72mz TX's out of 600 some that were at the event since so many had already changed.

The numbers from the Nats are some good numbers to reach for on a competition side, but at a contest like Mid South, there were two of us that flew 2.4 end to end. I have had a great start with it, it works great and at our MOM contests it makes functioning in that environment flawless.

A lot is coming in the future and 72 will fade some day, but not right now.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Jun 22, 2008, 07:28 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2003
545 Posts
Thanks Nuevo for some objective information regarding 2.4 at large contests in Open class planes.
Hoot is offline Find More Posts by Hoot
Old Jun 22, 2008, 09:14 AM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,876 Posts
To add what Tony said, the diehards that stick to 72mhz (I'm one of them myself) will find more and more reasonably priced gear as its unloaded from modelers inventories. I know I'll make the switch someday, but in the meantime, I'm happy to let somebody else blaze a trail

Steve
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:01 AM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
St. Louis
Joined Apr 2002
1,454 Posts
Old technologies die slowly. I know 2 guys, active contest flyers, who still use Ace transmitters! On a similar note, I saw an article somewhere about how many millions of lines of Cobol are still running today. And the Hollywood video store chain has a whole network of checkout PCs running DOS. And so on...
tonyestep is offline Find More Posts by tonyestep