SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:56 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,054 Posts
Question
40 size Yak 54 for Sportsman

I just purchased a 40 size Yak 54 from Phoenix models - I'm interested in competing in IMAC Basic next year and intend on flying this plane.

I realize it's a bit (ok...a LOT) on the small side but understand anything can be flown in Basic...

Upon reviving the model yesterday I noticed it has a pilot and dashboard - two items required for the Sportsman class.

How does a pilot go about obtaining proof of scale?

OR is this model so small that I could never hope to compete in the Sportsman class with it?
Thanks!
Trent
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Last edited by blunight; Sep 19, 2013 at 07:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:51 AM
NCFR !!!
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Jul 2013
155 Posts
Anything goes in basic so i say go for it and have some fun. I don't think the pilot's scale truely matters as long as it's there.

Is it to small for sportsman? No as long as it's a scale aerobatic airplane you can fly it. But.....

If it were me a 50cc would be the smallest plane i would use. They just present themselves better in the sky and are way easier for the judges to see and score.

With all that said just go to some IMAC events next year and have some fun. You'll quickly see what the other guys are flying.
My best advice it to learn to fly in a straight line. It's harder than most think it is. A good caller helps too.
JRjoe is offline Find More Posts by JRjoe
Old Sep 20, 2013, 05:03 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,054 Posts
What is the caller's function?
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:34 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
533 Posts
He/she alerts the judges when the pilot is ready and when the pilot begins and ends the flight. He/she also communicates with the pilot on which maneuver is coming up next. About as valuable to the pilot as a caddy is to a pro golfer, IMO.
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G