HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Question
Hobby King FPV Rx Power Source?

I just recently purchased Hobby King's FPV combo setup, and it arrived in the mail today (woot!). I also bought a 3S battery to power it. Now, the problem is that I don't have the right plug yet to connect to the battery.

I also purchased Hobby King's power brick to use to power their battery charger. It outputs 15v at 4A. However, it appears that the Rx operates at 12 volts. But I noticed that the plug on the power brick is the perfect size fit for the Rx.

Does anyone know if the power brick would be able to power the receiver in the meantime, while I'm waiting on getting a matching plug for my battery?

Sorry I don't have any links posted, as I'm typing this on my phone. Let me know if you need any clarification, and I'll try to get the links when I get home.

Thanks!
kenzietech is offline Find More Posts by kenzietech
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:35 PM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2012
117 Posts
The reading I've done suggests that the HK/BevRC/Foxtech receiver should be powered by a 2-cell battery, ideally. Apparently it gets rather hot when powered with a 3-cell, and this means it's wasting energy. I would NOT be trying to power it with a 15V charger, that sounds dangerous.

Personally, I'm currently using a 9V battery (like the ones in a smoke alarm) and it can easily power the receiver for a couple of hours. As a short term solution, just cut the power supply wires a few cms back from the plug, strip the insulation and connect it to whatever you like....anything between 7V and 13V is ok, but not more or less.
klaw81 is offline Find More Posts by klaw81
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Woot!

As it turns out, I found that the transformer / adapter for my computer's surround sound sub is the exact size, and outputs 1A @ 12V. I plugged it in, and it was a perfect fit, and worked like a champ! It started up, and I was able to get the right channel (after swapping the incorrect adapter, and all was well.

Where did you read that it should be powered by a 2S? Everything I was reading, including on HobbyKing's site was saying a 3S, and the receiver casing shows 12V on it.

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Jul 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzietech View Post
Woot!

As it turns out, I found that the transformer / adapter for my computer's surround sound sub is the exact size, and outputs 1A @ 12V. I plugged it in, and it was a perfect fit, and worked like a champ! It started up, and I was able to get the right channel (after swapping the incorrect adapter, and all was well.
Perfect. I actually did something similar when I first got my gear in the mail - I hunted around the house for DC adaptors with the right plug and voltage.

But as I said earlier, I'm currently using a 9V smoke-alarm battery because it's much more convenient for portability while I'm testing. It has now run for about 2 hours continuously....I have no idea how long I should expect it to keep going.

Incidentally, a 9V battery is NOT enough to run the Tx + camera - mine cut out after maybe 30 seconds due to low voltage.

Quote:
Where did you read that it should be powered by a 2S? Everything I was reading, including on HobbyKing's site was saying a 3S, and the receiver casing shows 12V on it.
I think I read it in the below post first...but then found some Youtube videos saying the same thing. I sent a few PM's and decided that 2-cell would be the way to go.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=5

12V won't damage it, but it's more than the electronics actually needs and will create excess heat. It's probably not a problem unless you're using it for long periods in a hot or poorly ventilated environment.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:58 PM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
9volt battery eh? That's awesome! I will deffinatley use this idea in my testing phases! Thank you..
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder if we're talking about the same Rx.

This is the setup that I purchased:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mera_NTSC.html

It doesn't say anything on there in the description about what the input voltage is for the Rx, outside of the labeling on the Rx itself, which says 12V. But if you look down in the discussion / reviews about it, they say that a 3S is required to make it work, and that a 2S isn't enough voltage for it.

If we are talking about the same Rx, then that's interesting that yours is working! I did feel mine getting slightly warm after running for about a half hour, but other than that, it wasn't too bad.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Jul 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzietech View Post
Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder if we're talking about the same Rx.

This is the setup that I purchased:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mera_NTSC.html
Eeek - nope, not the same one. I was referring to the 5.8Ghz Tx/Rx combo. So disregard most of what I've said.

You know what they say about assumptions....
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:45 AM
Suspended Account
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
87 Posts
You could use a 9v battery and make some kind of temporary connector, idk...
FirstPersonView is offline Find More Posts by FirstPersonView
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaw81 View Post
Eeek - nope, not the same one. I was referring to the 5.8Ghz Tx/Rx combo. So disregard most of what I've said.

You know what they say about assumptions....
Ah! That makes more sense now.

Lol, that's what I get for trying to make a post on my phone without links (and not realizing that there were two different types of receivers!).