HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:20 PM
R/C power engineer
China
Joined Oct 2006
30 Posts
Discussion
Chargery 1500W, 1200W, 600W and 400W RC power supply

I would like to recommend you S series of PFC power supply designed and manufactured by Chargery, the series are built-in Active PFC and all kinds of protection, 90~265VAC wide input voltage, and programmed wide output voltage.

ZVS Full-Bridge PWM with Synchronous Rectifier AC/DC control converter technology---an advanced converting technology, Chargery is the first manufacturer of use the technology design RC power supply--- assure up to 94% of efficiency. Not only save the power but also make the power supply smaller, easy to use and convenient to take.

S1500 can output 10-25V, rated 60A, 62A peak and 1500W maximal.
S1200 can output 11.5-24V, rated 50A, 55A peak and 1200W maximal.
S600 can output 6.0-15.5V, rated 40A, 45A peak and 700W maximal.
S400 can output 6.0-15.0V, rated 25A,, 27A peak and 400W maximal.

The following are main specifications
Code:

S1500                                  S1200                             S600                              S400    
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Input voltage range        90~265VAC                              90~265VAC                         90~265VAC                         100~240VAC  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rated input freguency
range                      47~63Hz                                47~63Hz                           47~63Hz                            47~63Hz               
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maximal input current      18.0A@90V, 7.5A@220V                   15.0A@90V, 6.0A@220V              8.0A@90V, 3.3A@220V                4.5A@100V, 2.0A@220V 
Efficiency                 94% @ 68% load and 220VAC              94% @ 60% load and 220VAC         92% @ 60% load and 220VAC          92% @ 60% load and 220VAC      
Active PFC                                                    PF>0.99 at 110VAC,100% of load 
                                                              PF>0.97 at 220VAC,100% of load                         
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Output voltage             10.0-25.0V programmed                 11.5-24.5V programmed              6.0-15.0V programmed,USB 5V 500mA   6.0-15.5V programmed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Voltage accuracy           1%                                     1%                                1%                                  1% 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ripple voltage             100mV                                  150mV                             150mV                               150mV    
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Output current             0~60A(62A max.)                        0~50A(55A max.)                   0~40A(45A max.), 5V 500mA max.      0~25A(27A max.),
Over voltage 
protection                 25.5V max.                             24.5V max.                        15.5V max.                          15.5V max.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over current 
protection                 62A max.                              55A max.                           45A max.                            27A max.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over load 
protection                 1550W max.                            1250W max.                         700W max.                           400W max.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over temperature 
protection                 85℃ max.                             85℃ max.                         85℃ max.                             85℃ max. 
Short-circuit 
protection                 YES                                   YES                                YES                                  YES
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Size                       25214568(LW H, mm)             28614568(LW H, mm)           22310655(LW H, mm)              14510655(LW H, mm) 
                           9.95.72.7(LWH,inch)          11.35.72.7(LWH,inch)       8.74.22.16(LWH,inch)          5.74.22.16(LWH,inch)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Weight                    2.3Kg without input cable             2.3Kg without input cable          1.25Kg without input cable            0.8Kg without input cable
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Voltage and current 
display                    YES,by TFT color LCD                 YES                                 YES                                  YES    
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intelligent cooling fan    YES                                  YES                                 YES                                  YES
Start at full Load         YES                                  YES                                 YES                                  YES

For more information, please visit www.chargery.com/, and download the detailed datasheet.
For any suggestions or questions, feel free to send email at admin@chargery.com.cn
jasonwang is offline Find More Posts by jasonwang
Last edited by jasonwang; Jun 09, 2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: S400 add
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:57 PM
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
449 Posts
How much and where can we buy them ?

Cheers
crusey_aus is offline Find More Posts by crusey_aus
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:50 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
ok that's beautiful - this looks to be the daddy of power supplies

here's a test vid with the power supply driving 3 chargers simultaneously

test speaks for itself - this guy really pushes the power supply hard and its stable and solid

Chargery S1200 Power Supply Test (19 min 13 sec)
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:55 AM
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined Nov 2011
71 Posts
I can't find these anywhere for sale? Anyone else?

sts41
sts41 is offline Find More Posts by sts41
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:58 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,279 Posts
Hi!

Chargery power representative Jason was kind enough to send me one sample of the S1200 for my general opinion and some tests.

I made the video that "big bird" posted.

In the recent years, I have come across various power supplies, and some general information I have posted here.

I work in the quality assurence department in my company, so I have seen quite some flaws. This lead me to trust noone, and I usually take apart and check every servo, charger, and, of course, power supply that I get.

But first, there is an outside check.
The power supply comes in a sturdy cardboard box enclosed in a dense foam protection. Transportation damage is almost impossible. Also in the box is a manual and the biggest power cord I have ever seen.
Use this one - not, like me, a smaller one.
For giggles, go to 5:00min in the vid and watch my mishap with a smaller cord.

Everything on the outside is solid, nothing rattles. No loose screws, no gaps, everything is nice. On the bottom, there are big rubber feet to ensure a good stand.
So far, so good.

On the inside, everything looks good as well. The PCB looks clean and tidy. The soldering joints of all cables are inspiring confidence, and the ground contact is actually connected with the case.
No loose screws on the PCB either, and the nuts holding the fans are secured with threadlocker.

I like that no parts, like FETs or rectifiers, use the case as heatsink. This way it will not heat up. All power components are bolted to generous heatsinks at the inside of the case.

After putting it back together, I made a quick comparison with my WattsUp. Voltage and current were within 0.2V and 0.2A tolerance.

To check the behaviour under maximum output, I discharged all A123 packs I had. The bulk of the power will be used by my iCharger 3010B and my 5s10p A123 field battery.

For additional load, I connected my 208B and 1010B, both charging various 4s A123 packs in parallel.

I dialed the voltage to 18.0V, as this is the maximum the smaller chargers can take.
I started the charge on all chargers simultaneously, and one could see the current ramp up. It stopped at around 57A, which is even a bit over the rating. The fans came on quickly, but the air they blew out was only slightly warm. The cooling of this power supply is definitely on the healthy side.

It is nice to note that even with the maximum current, the adjusted voltage stays stable. The display flickered between 17.9 and 18.0V, which I consider stable enough for this world.

I am always interested on how things behave when they are driven to the edge. The behaviour in case of overload, user error, or unforseen incidences is always a hint on how much thought went into the design process.

So I lowered the output voltage a little. This forces the chargers to draw more current to keep the same output power. At close to 60A, the output voltage began to decrease sowly.
I consider this a very practical approach: For the charger electronics, a gradually reduced voltage is definitely healthier than a hard cutoff. Most chargers cannot provide the full power at a reduced voltage, so the load on the power supply will decrease automatically. iChargers can even be programmed to decrease their power when a specific input voltage level is undershot. If one programs this level to 1-2V under the level the power supply is adjusted to, this configuration will work with a great harmony.

To end the overloading of the power supply, I stopped one charger. Immediately, the voltage began climbing back to the initially adjusted level.

Very nice indeed! This is exactly the way a power supply should behave. No sudden cutoffs, but gentle movements to avoid the overloading.

During the whole charge process, none of the typical phenolic smell of overloaded electronics was noticable.

So, all in all, I can really recommend this power supply. Being versatile with it's adjustable voltage, it can both be used for lots of small and cheap chargers, as well as for high-powered ones needing a higher voltage to achieve their rating.

Cheers,

Julez
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Last edited by Julez; Feb 08, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:01 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,439 Posts
Julez I figured that was you after I noticed the a123 field pack..
Nelapaty is online now Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:14 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
thanks for the excellent and thorough review, nice work
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:16 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sts41 View Post

sts41
so far i've only seen them for sale on German sites ... use www.google.de and you will find
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:27 PM
R/C power engineer
China
Joined Oct 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sts41 View Post

sts41
hi Sts41, now the power supply is sold in Germany, you can click the following link:
http://www.mttec.de/Ladetechnik/Netz...55A-1200W.html
thanks
Last edited by jasonwang; Apr 08, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:30 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,909 Posts
U.S., ever?
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
U.S., ever?
Yes--soon

Steve Neu
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:39 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,909 Posts
Price, Steve?
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:32 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Price, Steve?
TBD--I still am waiting for the details and shipping charges. Should know next week.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:05 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,909 Posts
Will you announce it, here, as my alzheimers is getting....
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:08 AM
R/C power engineer
China
Joined Oct 2006
30 Posts
About PFC for 1200W power supply

About active PFC, there is a great explaination on the following link, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=19 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=25 by Mark.
for S1200, if 110Vac input voltage and 1000W charge, the maximal input current is 1000W charge / .99 (PS power factor) / .92 (PS conversion efficiency at 110V) / .8 (charger DC-DC converter efficiency) / 110V (line voltage) = 12.47 amps.
if no active PFC or no PFC, when 1000W charge, the input current will be 19A, so if 110V/15A is stardard socket, the 1200W power supply must be with PFC and PF >0.95.
Jason
Last edited by jasonwang; Apr 09, 2012 at 04:15 AM.