HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
Question
Quick questions about the Art-Tech Eagle Eye heli

So I found out about it recently and it seems to be what I want.

But there are couple problems. One, I couldn't find any reviews on it.

Two, I think it says it has a control range of 762m, which sounds pretty far. Is that true, or exaggerated?

Three. They seem to come without the camera system, yet I wasn't able to find any, or what camera system even, it uses. Not even on the sites that sell the heli. Does anyone know what camera goes with it and where to buy it?

And overall, is it a crap copter, or a decent one, flying wise? The long control range if true sounds great, since I'd like to be filming from far and high. What's the consensus on it here?
toolcopter is offline Find More Posts by toolcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
Nobody? I did search the forums before asking, but didn't find the answers I was looking for. If such a thread exists, would someone be nice enough and point to it?

Basically this copter seems just like what I wanted. Like a dragan fly, except smaller and inexpensive. If it has a range that far, it'd be the bomb. But I don't know if it's a habit by manufacturers to exaggerate certain capabilities, as I've read some people's complaints of batter lives being shorter than stated in the specs, and so forth 763m definitely sounds like a leap from the usual 100m or 50ft in that price range, right?
Last edited by toolcopter; Jan 18, 2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:40 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
Art-Tech helis have a reputation for being fragile. Also, it will suffer bladestrikes unless you can find an extended inner shaft for it. Otherwise, they aren't bad.

It's 2.4 ghz, so the range should be pretty good. But you won't be able to see it at 762m, any way. You need about 1/10 of that range.

There are many micro cameras you can use, just Google them.

It's a coax heli, so you aren't going to be filming anything from far and high except a nice view as the wind takes your heli away. Just because it's calm on the ground, doesn't mean it is above the trees. Coaxes do not handle any wind.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
I was just wondering if those mini cams online can capture anything more than 10 ft away. I'd like to capture high up along building walls, down from bridges and such. Actually I'm not looking for a toy, but something to explore with.

For this reason I also looked into r/c submarines but gave up on those when learning that underwater cameras need a cable to transmit footage through water.

A heli that can handle good heights that doesn't cost like the draganflies, and has a camera or can carry a camera that can shoot decently from say 100ft, would be good. This art tech seemed perfect as it was made for filming and has a good range, plus the price seems perfect, but if it can't handle any wind at all, then I'd have to find something else, if there is.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
You want a quad. You can spend anywhere from $150 to $30k, it's pretty much up to you. Check out the multi-rotor forum. Even a little $150 Blade MQx with a keychain camera would work and handle wind better than any coax.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
24 Posts
I'll look into that, forum. So a single rotor copter is not a good option compared to a quad?

Also, thanks for your answers.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:00 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolcopter View Post
I'll look into that, forum. So a single rotor copter is not a good option compared to a quad?

Also, thanks for your answers.
A single rotor heli is not a good camera platform, compared to a quad. They are both fun to fly and have their own unique characteristics.