SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2015, 08:04 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,998 Posts
Discussion
Flight Model Mini Excellence

The Mini Excellence is manufactured by Zhuhai Flight Model in China and distributed in the USA by Tower Hobbies.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXENFU&P=ML
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2015, 09:34 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
625 Posts
I'm awaiting the arrival of mine. Hopefully, I'll have it in the air by Spring.

Thanks,
Tom
tmulligan is online now Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:08 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,998 Posts
Post some pictures of your build, Tom. I'm planning to start on mine soon - I'll try to take some pics of the assembly. This looks to be a straightforward build that should go smoothly.

The recommended motor printed on the box label is a 28/20 which is about 15 size. The assembly manual doesn't include any specs for the plane nor the power system. The EMP 15 1000kv motor I have on hand is a 500+ watt motor. That is a lot of power for a plane with a spec weight of only about 2 pounds.

Dave
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:21 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,927 Posts
Well Dave it looks like you are going to get me for two in one day. I'll have to work awfully hard to top that one. My guess is you have been planning this double whammy for quite some time. Probably even been in contact with some of the big boys at Hobbico to pull it off.

I have everything I need to put it together. Probably that OS 15 on a 3s 2200. Might even use it as a test sled for a gyro receiver. Not sure what servos or speed control just yet. I think I will be after servos with nice resolution since it doesn't call for much throw. I'll have to look through my stash to see what looks best.

Gonna have to make sure I do well at the swap meet next weekend!

Jay
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Fentonflyers; Feb 21, 2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:22 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,998 Posts
This is a larger similar plane by Flight Model. This review was just now posted.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2270360

There are some significant differences other than just the size. eg: Apollo wings are glued together, mounted in a fuse wing saddle, then a filler panel installed. Mini's wings mount to the side of fuse with a carbon fiber wing tube and aluminum thumbscrews securing them.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 20, 2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:25 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,998 Posts
Remember Jay. You got me onto the Enigma, Sonic, and Tidewater in rapid succession. Glad I was able to return the favor!

That OS 15 should be a perfect match for this plane.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:59 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
625 Posts
I would be very grateful if you (plural) would tell me which motors, props, servos, etc you find work best as you build and fly this plane. I was planning on using an Orange receiver with a flight stabilizer, and I tend to overpower my planes with larger than necessary motors, ESCs, and props. I've always just guessed on which servos to use. So, I would be grateful for your guidance as you build and fly your's.

Thanks,
Tom
tmulligan is online now Find More Posts by tmulligan
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,927 Posts
Far from an expert here Tom but I will surely be glad to give all the input I can.

Just found this video:

140514 Mini Excellence (2 min 25 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2015, 07:26 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,154 Posts
I assembled mine last Fall, but ran out of good weather before I got a chance to perform the maiden.

I'll watch as you warm weather fliers get yours into the air, and share your experiences.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 21, 2015, 07:53 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,998 Posts
TomCrump gave me some good input via PM's that lead me to give this plane a try. Good to see you here, Tom.

We discussed the build quality of the plane but I don't think you mentioned exactly what components you used. Could you share that with us? Any particular assembly issues to watch out for? I'm a bit concerned about balance - seems the recommended motor is going to be heavy. But maybe that's necessary to offset the rear mounted servos and long tail moment?

It looks like we've got two Toms here. Could get a little confusing. I was the second Dave in another assembly thread - but we could always attribute questionable advice to "the other Dave".

Dave
Last edited by dbc; Feb 21, 2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:00 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,998 Posts
That video looks promising, Jay. Thanks for locating and posting it. That prop must have been way out of balance to make that much noise. It sounded like it was glow powered!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:38 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
TomCrump gave me some good input via PM's that lead me to give this plane a try. Good to see you here, Tom.

We discussed the build quality of the plane but I don't think you mentioned exactly what components you used. Could you share that with us? Any particular assembly issues to watch out for? I'm a bit concerned about balance - seems the recommended motor is going to be heavy. But maybe that's necessary to offset the rear mounted servos and long tail moment?

It looks like we've got two Toms here. Could get a little confusing. I was the second Dave in another assembly thread - but we could always attribute questionable advice to "the other Dave".

Dave
My Mini Excellence is in Winter storage. I can't get to it until Spring. Being new to the electric side of things, I'm not familiar with the common terminology and product names.

I installed a 25 sized motor, and 45 amp ESC purchased from Heads Up RC. Balance looks like it can be achieved with battery placement.

The motor box looks a little weak, but I saw no other obvious problems with the airframe.

I assembled mine over a two day period. It went together easily.

I seem to remember something about the servo mounts needed to be enlarged when using the suggested servos.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Last edited by TomCrump; Feb 21, 2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:46 AM
Joined Jan 2012
2,927 Posts
Thanks for your input Tom and welcome to Dave's lair, oh sorry, I mean, thread.

Jay
RCG Plus Member