http://creswellrcflyers.org/Text/Vanessa_CG_Machine.pdf
andrewbrockman is online now Find More Posts by andrewbrockman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:36 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
802 Posts
Very creative, Andrew!

Looks you're all ready for the maiden flight!

Wow! A 1/6 scale Cub! Building that baby will certainly keep you busy on these cold Winter nights!

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:40 PM
Joined Dec 2006
802 Posts
Here's the 'custom' box I use to transport my Yak and Wilga.

The box was purchased from a local storage company and was modified so I could carry either two foamys, or one foamy and the Wilga or Yak.

The material lining the wing slots is pipe insulation foam. The slots for the foamys were simply cut to fit and foam added to stabilize and protect the wings. I did something similar for the Wilga, but of course the slots were wider.

When I got the Yak I needed another modification because of the wing struts. I cut the slot to accommodate the wing struts, but then the opening was much too wide for the Wilga's wings. So, I added a 'door' marked in the pictures below. The door is simply a piece of cardboard hinged with tape. In the open position as shown, the Yak's struts are cleared. To support the plane, I cut a piece of pipe wrap at 45°, reversed the pieces shown in the right picture, and used Welder glue to form it into the right angle piece shown. This, plus the cord around the fuselage keeps the plane stable in transit with no stress on the control surfaces.

When I bring the Wilga, I fold the door to the closed position. The opening is then lined with foam and the wing is secured. They're not visible in the pictures, but I use Velcro tabs to keep the door either open or closed as needed.

I always get lots of comments on my setup.

Crude, but effective I guess!

Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Feb 24, 2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 04:16 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,883 Posts
Now I like that idea. Cheap and easy.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 24, 2015, 06:16 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2015
35 Posts
Don,

That is an awesome idea to transport the two planes!!! Excellent use of brain power there

Yea, the cub build is going to be interesting, to say the least. I'll send you a link to the build log once I get going
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:05 PM
Joined Dec 2006
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrockman View Post
Don,

That is an awesome idea to transport the two planes!!! Excellent use of brain power there

Yea, the cub build is going to be interesting, to say the least. I'll send you a link to the build log once I get going
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Now I like that idea. Cheap and easy.
Thanks guys!

Don
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:45 PM
Joined Jan 2015
35 Posts
TX was shipped back from Horizon today. I don't care what anyone says about Spektrum, but I'm happy. If you remember, I dropped my TX on the tile living room floor. That broke the left gimble stick and the "F" switch.

I mailed it to Horizon for repair and told them what happened. They made repairs, updated to latest firmware, and then mailed back via FedEx on their dime. It only cost me the initial mailing of approx $12. I was fully prepared to pay $50-$75 for the repairs. They said "no problem, we just want to get you back in the air again with minimum cost and hassle." NICE!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 08:47 PM
Joined Jan 2015
35 Posts
Oh, here is the Cub build thread. It's going to take a while, as I'm a little anal with building things

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2355609
Old Today, 12:03 AM
Joined Dec 2006
802 Posts
Hi Andrew,

I've liked Cubs.

Wish I could find one around the same size as the Yak and Wilga, made of foam. E-Flite has a very nice L-4 but it's balsa.

I do about 99.999% of my flying indoors and I'm always on the lookout for a small size scale model to add to that hangar.

Here's a picture of a Cub I built about 20 years ago. I didn't want another yellow Cub so I modeled mine after the Navy version designated NE-1 used in WWII.

Good luck with your build!

Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Today at 02:07 AM.
Old Today, 02:51 AM
Finland
Joined Aug 2013
188 Posts
This starts to sound more a Cub thread than Yak thread, but never mind.

What about FMS J3 Cub? Probably might be too big / heavy inside, but I would guess that it tolerates wind a little bit better than our Yaks...

I've got Mini Cub hanging in my boy's room. However it's a model I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Way too heavy for it's size, doesn't fly well inside or outside (too fast inside and outside doesn't tolerate any wind).
Late99 is online now Find More Posts by Late99