HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:29 AM
Fairfield, IL
Joined Jun 2006
161 Posts
Discussion
Eagle Tree Vector for Fixed Wing

It was mentioned several times to split the Vector thread into a Fixed wing and multirotor because of confusing information that didn't state which type of model the info was for. So I thought I'd try a new thread for fixed wing and see if it lives.

Someone asked if the FC had to be centered on the Roll axis. I checked page 26 of the manual and it said it "Needed to be as near as practical, however, precise mounting may not be critical." Pg. 26

Mine should be here this week and I'm planning on sticking it in an Apprentice with a AR8000 and DX9. I'm hoping it will be as stable as the as3x.
WarrenM is offline Find More Posts by WarrenM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:32 AM
Fairfield, IL
Joined Jun 2006
161 Posts
DX9 file

Wilanz was nice enough to offer a DX9 file after he had his set up.

Thank you and I may be hitting you up since I have a DX9 also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilanz View Post
This worked! Just did three flights this morning with these settings on a FX-61 Wing with AR7610 Receiver. It took more mixes than I expected but got this to work on a Spektrum DX9. If anyone would like the SPM file let me know (wilanz@gmail.com). It's also nice that we can share Vector files to match! My goal was to access SubMode settings without having to move the Mode switch, too. Moving RTH to a Throttle setting also opened up one more mode.

Mode
- 2D+Submode -> For launch/landing
-3D -> for General flying
-Stabilize Off ->To figure out how much wind there is up there and direction.

Submode
-No Hold
-Hold (mixed for 1 switch operation) -> To use the pan/tilt gimbal
-Loiter(mixed for 1 switch operation) ->walking to/from launch points and ground adjustments

RTH - Switch to low throttle mix ->for failsafe and video emergencies. (or just because I can!)

RTH Switch overrides all the other mode/submode settings except for Throttle Cut. If I hit throttle cut it goes into whatever mode I have on the switch. Works for me since I primarily use throttle cut before take off and after landing.

2D mode with hold was impiressive at low altitude. I kept going lower and lower getting some nice tree top passes while panning and tilting. I like that it gives nose up with less throttle and really slows things down.

My previous RTH issues with no throttle were all corrected once I went through the wizard on the computer without having throttle cut active. Having both altitudes for RTH is a nice feature. Come home high and slowly descends.

Next step for me is to figure out the color thresholds. I think I set the hi-lo backwards for the distance,speed, altitude. The audio warnings worked nice but there was some break up noises between audio.

I'm very happy with these results. It's going to be hard to use another plane without. Time to sell some EZOSDs and get another Vector before they sell out.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 02:59 PM
Fairfield, IL
Joined Jun 2006
161 Posts
Reading through the manual again, it says the current sensor needs airflow. It will get a little in the batt compartment of an apprentice if I make some air slots or would it be better to mount it outside of the plane?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 03:47 PM
United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2013
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenM View Post
It was mentioned several times to split the Vector thread into a Fixed wing and multirotor because of confusing information that didn't state which type of model the info was for. So I thought I'd try a new thread for fixed wing and see if it lives.

Someone asked if the FC had to be centered on the Roll axis. I checked page 26 of the manual and it said it "Needed to be as near as practical, however, precise mounting may not be critical." Pg. 26

Mine should be here this week and I'm planning on sticking it in an Apprentice with a AR8000 and DX9. I'm hoping it will be as stable as the as3x.
I think you'll find the Eagle Tree Gains a little loose compared to AS3X. I found I needed to add more expo(10-15%) when going from Spektrum AS3X to Eagle Tree Guardians. The Vector stability feels pretty close to the Guardian.

I haven't moved my Vector from the Flying Wing to my other planes. I didn't order another one because of this recent FAA/Goggles mess. So I'm happy to just keep tuning the flying wing. I made a pretty good mess of the colors, multiple OSD screens and data logging. So I'm having to go back and start from scratch.

After flying the FX-61 in the wind, that poor airframe was a mess. So I put some carbon reinforcement rods to help changing the CG which of course requires a little more tuning.
wilanz is online now Find More Posts by wilanz
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:19 PM
Fairfield, IL
Joined Jun 2006
161 Posts
Thanks, I'm still figuring out all the 2d 3d Gyro stuff. Never flew with a guardian so It'll take me a while just to get their modes figured out and which one I want to use. I've got one cam pointed down the left wing and like circling seeing if I can keep that wing cam centered on an object.

Do you set your AR8000 up in Preset failsafe with sticks centered and throttle all the way down as described in the manual? Correct right?
Last edited by WarrenM; Jun 30, 2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2014, 04:29 AM
United Kingdom, England, Yateley
Joined Feb 2014
98 Posts
Quote:

Thank you for starting this - it was getting confusing reading a mix of Fixed and Multi-Rotor.

ANDREW
adchesney is online now Find More Posts by adchesney
Old Jul 01, 2014, 07:16 AM
Darwin
Joined Aug 2002
699 Posts
I to agree Andrew
CrocEnd is offline Find More Posts by CrocEnd
Old Jul 01, 2014, 09:23 AM
Joined Apr 2013
500 Posts
Attached is the DX9 SPM file that I'll be using as a template for the other planes.

This is how I have the Vector leads plugged into the receiver..just a habit from previous Guardians to have Mode on Aux 1.

Gear(Receiver)-Aux (Vector) - Switch C on DX9
Aux1(Receiver) -Mode(Vector)- Switch D on DX9

I use mixes 1-6 for pan/tilt. didn't include them in the template to avoid mix ups.

In the Mix screen you'll see Mix 7 and 8 for for Gear and Aux1. Also Abs Travel in the Servo menu limits Aux 1 high end.

Both of these allow for single switch operation of submodes without having to move Mode to 2D+Submode

Mix 9-10 - Switch A on DX9
Both of these keep the Throttle down to -150 Regardless of Throttle position.

Switch H has Throttle Cut to take Throttle down to -100. Useful for anything on the ground .

Then in the Software/Stick menu here's what I have selected as my options.

Mode
- 2D+Submode -> For launch/landing
-3D -> for General flying
-Stabilize Off ->To figure out how much wind there is up there and direction.

Submode
-No Hold
-Hold (mixed for 1 switch operation) -> To use the pan/tilt gimbal
-Loiter(mixed for 1 switch operation) ->walking to/from launch points and ground adjustments

RTH - Switch to low throttle mix ->for failsafe and video emergencies. (or just because I can!)

RTH Switch overrides all the other mode/submode settings except for Throttle Cut. If I hit throttle cut it goes into whatever mode I have on the switch. Works for me since I primarily use throttle cut before take off and after landing.

For initial set up, I put all switches forward and just pull back on Switch A(Brings Throttle down to-150). Go through binding process to preset that as failsafe. Then open the software, move all switches forward and I go through the RC wizard selecting Aux as submode and RTH as Throttle position. The wizard does the rest.

Then set the modes for each of the switches. Lastly test each switch to make sure it does what I expect.

After flying and trimming be sure to repeat all of the steps! You have to rebind and run the RC wizard. Then test to make sure all switches work.

Finally, got complete flight today with the FX-61 with everything working as expected. So many issues with the colors on the voltage. Its apparently per cell and not total voltage so I had it all messed up.
Old Jul 01, 2014, 09:45 AM
Just FPV'n
Orange County Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
563 Posts
Subscribed

Quote:

Someone asked if the FC had to be centered on the Roll axis. I checked page 26 of the manual and it
said it "Needed to be as near as practical, however, precise mounting may not be critical." Pg. 26

Subscribed..!!

I hope Eagle Tree will support this thread....
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2014, 10:56 AM
Fairfield, IL
Joined Jun 2006
161 Posts
Quote:
Attached is the DX9 SPM file that I'll be using as a template for the other planes.
Thanks for taking the time to explain and share your file! I may do some switch changes to emulate my F450 naza set up but this will be a great base.
Old Jul 01, 2014, 11:12 AM
Joined Apr 2013
500 Posts
Also sharing my latest Vector settings. You can load these while using the Vector software offline. (don't plug in your vector or you may overwrite your settings).

It's a Elevon wing with gains lowered to 40%

Most of the customization is on the Advanced OSD screens. You'll see I have three OSD screens

Screen 1 - Same as EZOSD (Basic info and a clear screen)
Screen2 - All the stuff I could put on there!
Screen3 - Waypoints (Starting to play with this feature)

The toughest part was setting the color thresholds for each setting. I kept messing up the main pack voltage by doing total instead of per cell. So I would keep taking everything down and then putting it up again.

I have about 6 versions of my Vector on the same plane. Started simple and then added on screens and settings as I went. That makes it easy to go back to previous settings. I just have to remember to reset level and RC settings before I fly when I make the change.
Old Jul 01, 2014, 08:18 PM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
I may try the multiple screens thing like you, Wilanz - Minimal and critical flight on first screen, everything else on second. I never took advantage of the multiple screens with OSD Pro.

Initial Vector switch setup on my Taranis:

Mode:
RTH
3DHH
2D+Submd

SubMode:
No Hold
Hold
Loiter

Additionally, I've used the Flight Mode features on the Taranis to enable the Gain knob for Aux 2 input as well. Just flip a switch on the radio, quickly change the Aux2 from SubMd to Gain in the on-screen menus, Good to go. This will be best done on the ground, but if absolutely necessary can be done in flight.
Pushjerk is offline Find More Posts by Pushjerk
Old Jul 01, 2014, 08:25 PM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
I won't know until after my first flights with the vector, hopefully on Thurs, so I'll ask you gents here:

How has Loiter been for y'all? How tight are y'all making your loiter circle diameters? Turn rate? The default values seem pretty tight,I think bringing the circle out to well past 100ft, if not more, would be appropriate. Turn rate is 60% I think by default - Curious how that is. Again, prob gonna chill that out a bit. I'll post results.

Penguin, btw.
Pushjerk is offline Find More Posts by Pushjerk
Old Jul 02, 2014, 01:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Northwich
Joined Jul 2013
65 Posts
Pushjerk, I've just had my first 4 flights over the last few days. The loiter mode is fairly tight but it holds its altitude and speed pretty well. I'm also using a penguin and the stock settings are really good for me! I'm loving the vector!
ThunderstruK is offline Find More Posts by ThunderstruK
Old Jul 02, 2014, 03:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, Yateley
Joined Feb 2014
98 Posts
Quote:

This is how I have the Vector leads plugged into the receiver..just a habit from previous Guardians to have Mode on Aux 1....

Dear Wilanz,

THANK YOU for sharing.

I am hopeless at understanding how to set-up channels, etc. on my Taranis.

So if anyone would like to share their config and EEPE on a TBS Disc Pro, Vector, and Taranis - I'll be their best friend :-)

ANDREW
adchesney is online now Find More Posts by adchesney