Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:00 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
732 Posts
Build Log
Flying Foam Nurf FPV

I love flying FPV wings....I currently fly a Stryker,Zephyr II, Grim Reaper, PopWing, and Black Knight regularly...as well as a few of my own designs...
I also have a conventional planform FinWing Penguin for long haul Gopro missions...

while the Z2 can get me over 40 minutes of flight time, its a heavy plane at 5.6 lbs...

I wanted something to take over for the Penguin, in terms of duration and stability down low, but really wanted a flying wing...it would have to be able to carry full fpv gear, pan/tilt Gopro, use a 4S 5000mah hard pack Lipo, and be a really smooth flyer....

then I came across FlyingFoams Nurf and after seeing their intro Gopro footage, decided to try building it as an FPV plane....besides it looks like a Klingon Bird of Prey in the air

Here is the maiden flight....even with a stripped gear in my tilt mechanism(just threw an old $3, 9gram on there...now replaced with a new metal gear EXI 9gm), it was a very successful maiden...(select 1080P for best definition)

FlyingFoam Nurf FPV Maiden (2 min 14 sec)

The build followed FlyingFoams' videos with a few minor exceptions:

1. Had to bend the wing rod joiners a bit to get the correct fit (Flying Foam is looking into it)
2. Instead of tape re-enforcing the wing saddle overhang in front, I used a scrap piece of hard plastic, expoxied on top of it, to re-enforce...also, by positioning the mylar battery hatch underneath the plastic in its final position, and being careful not to glue it along with the plastic, I got a tuck under front hold down for the hatch at the same time...I could have used 1/8 ply instead of the plastic, but it was handy and was already white to match the foam...
3. I made the battery bay long enough to achieve either the most foward or rearward CG positions recommended and used a ply floor with velcro battery strap to secure the battery.
4. Instead of the supplied aileron control rod keepers, I used Dubro EZ connectors on the aileron control horns.
5. I used a metal washer for the rudder's pin retaining rod hole re-enforcement, instead of fiberglass and CA as recommended...also, it helps to taper the insertion end of the carbon rod/pin to aid in insertion..
6. I chopped off the nose to allow the Gopro clear view at max down tilt.

Equipment list is in the video and AUW came in at 71oz.

Flight impressions:
1. Extremely smooth and graceful....almost no yaw wag common with most flying wings using winglets for yaw stability
2. Very efficient....cruises at 3.5A (>1 hour duration) at ~28mph....glides very flat...does not bleed speed quickly...I am still learning how to flare it enough to slow it down for landing....at 12oz/sqft loading, it should stall around 13mph, but my first landings were at 20+mph...I should get better with time...
3. Capable of hauling a$$....with only 14V on the batt WOT of 65mph at 25A (I draw 39A with a fresh battery on takeoff...cant wait to see how fast that is)
4. For a big wing, its small....once the narrow 6 foot long wing is off...the fuselage pod is relatively small and compact...easy carry in a small car, although the wing will have to sit front to back...

the wing has been offered since Feb of this year, but I haven't heard much about it....its a little more expensive than other large wing kits, but I think its capability and handling characteristics make up for that...looks like the Penguin is up for sale now

I plan to work on determining the extent of its flight envelope this weekend and, hopefully, do some long range tree-topping with it...
Atx_Heli is online now Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Last edited by Atx_Heli; Aug 30, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:49 AM
Foam Guy
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jan 2011
145 Posts
Thanks for sharing and glad you like it!

R,
C
cglusky is offline Find More Posts by cglusky
Old Aug 31, 2013, 06:38 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,346 Posts
cool wing,
Looks like a PLANK wing....
https://www.flyingfoam.com/content/nurf

Nurf V3 Maiden (3 min 2 sec)
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Sep 02, 2013, 05:23 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
732 Posts
Pan/Tilt tweaking

Made a few mods to get the vertical bounce out of the pan/tilt...same things I've had to do in the past....from now on, from the first on any Gopro pan/tilt

First, I removed the large output double arm as the base for the P/T unit and replaced it with the stock winch output wheel that comes on the GWS 360 servo...I had tried the other arm since its lower profile...but it allows more rock on the servo output shaft....

that got rid of 75% of the jitters...

finally, I added a piece of ply as a shim between the top of the servo case and the output wheels bottom...sanded for a wiggle free fit but not binding...hot glued to servo case top...that got the last bit...giving support to the output wheel and preventing it from rocking back at all...

Am satisfied with video quality now...

Tweaking the Nurf's Gopro pan/tilt (4 min 22 sec)

I also noticed this weekend that my RSSI was dropping way too fast....at 2 miles out and 300 feet AGL I was getting below 25%....checking the antenna when I got back home, thinking that it had broken, I discovered that I had used a dipole that I had made up for another plane that used RP-SMA cables to extend it out the wing...so this connector had NO CENTER PIN...I was effectively flying with my antenna cable open circuited

amazing that the Rangelink system flew me low, out two miles, flawlessly without a real RX antenna connection!
Old Sep 02, 2013, 05:51 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli View Post
Made a few mods to get the vertical bounce out of the pan/tilt...same things I've had to do in the past....from now on, from the first on any Gopro pan/tilt
You can check out how Daemon does his gopro pan. His works fantastic.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:48 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
732 Posts
The more I fly this plane, the better I like it....I think its the best jack of all trades FPV platform out there....
-Wide flight envelope:
It has great duration on a single 4s, 5000mah (>1hr at min cruise of 3.3A, 25mph)
It has great cruise climb of >10fps @ 8A, 27mph)
Normal cruise 5-6A @ 32-34mph
It has economical fast cruise of 40mph @ 10A
It has good high speed of 63mph @ 25A
-Stable in turbulence with little yaw wag common to flying wings, very much goes where you point it
-Very Aerobatic, easy rolls and loops from normal cruise power of 5-6A, very smooth
-Extremely easy setup and tear down
-Although it has a one piece 6ft wing, combined with its small fuselage pod, it makes for easy transport

I still love my lite FPV Styker for nearby proximity and cow chasing and my ZII for zooming around and its massive weight making for uber smooth videos...but if I could only have one FPV plane, at this point Nurf has taken that spot...

Some initial distance and altitude stretchs of its legs...still had >1/3 of my battery left after the distance run...
More Fun with the Nurf (4 min 54 sec)

Then my friend Craig and I chased each other around a bit, he with his SkyHunter, me with the Nurf..

Nurf SkyHunter Aerial Chase (3 min 6 sec)
Old Sep 29, 2013, 08:16 PM
UAS Engineer
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined May 2012
215 Posts
How well does it handle wind?
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Old Oct 03, 2013, 08:41 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2013
26 Posts
Atx - which one would you recommend between the Nurf and the Ritewing ZII. I like the design of both and am having a hard time deciding which one to choose.
Vince_2000 is offline Find More Posts by Vince_2000
Old Oct 03, 2013, 08:56 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_2000 View Post
Atx - which one would you recommend between the Nurf and the Ritewing ZII. I like the design of both and am having a hard time deciding which one to choose.
Totally diiferent wings....Nurf is an all round type with easy launch...Z2 is big performance ,heavier with a launch that requires practice or experience to avoid "pancaking".....if I could only have one it would be Nurf....but I would make sure I got a Z next
Last edited by Atx_Heli; Oct 03, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:24 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
732 Posts
Wind handling

@Carbonflite: for some reason I cant reply to your question...
as to wind, I have flown it only in winds up to 10-12mph...handles fine...from its high speed performance, I expect it to handle wind well...
Old Oct 06, 2013, 02:06 PM
Foam Guy
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jan 2011
145 Posts
I have flown one of our prototypes in 20+ w/ gusts to 30mph. Would not recommend it as a plan, but it can handle it well if you find yourself stuck in a gust front like I was.
cglusky is offline Find More Posts by cglusky
Old Oct 07, 2013, 11:11 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
732 Posts
Nurf FPV in the Wind

Finally got some high wind following a cold front....here is some video of the Nurf HD1080p available..

15mph, gusting to 25mph....trees in the area generating rotors that can be felt all the way up to 1,000 feet...much stronger down low....

Autolevel of the Storm WAS on in the video....I like to not worry about turbulence on any plane I fly FPV...much more relaxing....however, since the amount of roll deflections was so low during the passes at or below tree level, I dont think the Nurf would have been a handful even if the stabilizer was off...

Nurf in the wind (3 min 26 sec)
Old Oct 16, 2013, 03:42 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hexham
Joined Apr 2011
42 Posts
Just ordered one

Just ordered one for delivery here in the UK, I'm impressed with the design & layout and simple robust construction. It'll be a winter project and I'm looking forward to getting it into the air in the early spring if not before. Weather here is fickle (unlike those blue sky days I see in the vids) it is unusual to get a windless bright day to fly.
I've noted comments about build and watched the Flying Foam build vids a number of times - if anyone has any further comments on construction they would be most welcome

Cheers
gr4ndp4 is offline Find More Posts by gr4ndp4
Old Oct 19, 2013, 11:31 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,001 Posts
Was checking out the website, and I see mention of both a Nurf with landing gear, however I do not see a kit, picture, video, or option of landing gear...

Any info?
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Oct 20, 2013, 07:00 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
Was checking out the website, and I see mention of both a Nurf with landing gear, however I do not see a kit, picture, video, or option of landing gear...

Any info?
no detailed instructions...assumes some building experience for the mod...here is the video:
Nurf V5 Landing Gear (2 min 30 sec)