26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromodel View Post
Thanks for your reply.

The important settings you should use for your Castle ESC are:

Timing - "Normal (5)"
Switching (PWM) Rate - "12KHZ"

These are both found under the "Motor" tab in the Castle Link Software
Changes were made and retested. No change in performance. mad: Any other solutions, things I can test/try?
sfaust is offline Find More Posts by sfaust
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined May 2009
22 Posts
Sfaust,
Based on the two graphs you posted, your battery voltage is falling off very badly. No matter what ESC you are using, this will not allow the system to reach it's max power. Notice that when you went to full throttle, your voltage immediately falls to under 20 volts, and was as low as 17 volts. Your battery is either completely discharged, or is defective. Even a low "C" rated battery at 5000 mAh capacity should be able to hold 3.5v-3.7v per cell when freshly charged at 60 amps. Your battery is dropping off to 2.83v per cell!

Unfortunately in your case, the firmware may not have been the problem.

Please retry with a good battery
aeromodel is offline Find More Posts by aeromodel
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 04, 2013, 06:18 PM
www.giantscalerc.com
Boston, MA
Joined Jun 2004
26 Posts
You're right, I wasn't paying attention to the voltage. The symptoms matched the known problem with that motor, so my mind just went there in troubleshooting mode.

Fortunately, you're reply got to me just in the nick of time. I was heading out to fly the helis when I saw your reply. So instead I grabbed the Bigfoot and some known fresh packs, Glacier 6S5300 35C packs purchased recently with few flights on them.

The following is a graph from the test flight flown today. Better, but still below performance others are reporting. I've got a new ESC coming for one of my helis, and I'll re-purpose it for testing and comparisons here first.

I appreciate the help given. I'm much further along than I would have been otherwise. Thanks.

sfaust is offline Find More Posts by sfaust
Old Dec 10, 2013, 02:09 AM
Joined Jan 2013
120 Posts
if i get the "old" caste ice regulator 100amp the same that smith is using, is there a problem with this one??

i have a new jeti master mezon 120 also, but i only get conection error on the jeti box,
so i dont know what the issue with this one is ?
any tips?
Mrloseth is offline Find More Posts by Mrloseth
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:15 AM
Joined May 2009
22 Posts
The early ICE design (not ICE2) with firmware version 3.27 or older should work fine.

Which Mezon ESC do you have?
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Jan 2013
120 Posts
Master mezon 120.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2013
120 Posts
Somebody have info on programing master mezon?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 08:52 AM
Joined May 2009
22 Posts
On the Mezon, you must use either a Jeti Box or Jeti Box Mini. Since the original Jeti Box has been out for some time, it is possible that if it was an older Jeti box that was used with the original Spin ESC line, it may not have firmware on the box that is compatible with the newer Mezon ESC's. If you bought the box at the same time as the Mezon, it should have the newer firmware.

The steps to connect the Jeti Box (or Mini) are as follows:

1) Make sure the Radio system and Receiver power are OFF or the ESC lead going to the RX is unplugged (the wire with the black plug). The Mezon will not allow programming if it "sees" signal coming from the RX line.

2) Plug the Jeti Box into the other ESC lead with the RED plug on it. This will go into the lower port on the right hand side of the Jeti Box, that is marked with "- + S" which is Ground, Power, and Signal. (The upper port is only for supplying power to the jeti box with a receiver pack, and therefore is only labeled "- +" for power and ground.)

3) Plug in your main battery into the Mezon ESC. Of course, safety precautions should be taken since you are powering your motor system at this time. Preferably, remove your propeller, or make sure you are clear of it. It should NOT ever ARM in this condition, but you can never be too safe!

4) The Mezon ESC and box should now be communicating. On the JetiBox, you should now see the name of the ESC you are using, as well as some info about it. If you press the arrow, it will take you to the other menu options such as settings, profiles, and data.

5) The motor you are using should be run with 25 degrees of timing, and 8khz PWM Rate.

Please give us a call if you have any other questions at (480) 726-7519
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 14, 2013, 09:24 AM
Joined Jan 2013
120 Posts
Hello :-)
I have now got a new mezon 120 on warranty, but its the same problem, no comunication. So then i think i need a uppdate on my jeti box. Since its the same problem with 2 mezon.
But i see that the newest jeti box uppdate is from 8-2013.
And my jeti box is only 2 mounts old.
So do you think that i have a jeti box with old software???
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:45 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jun 2013
38 Posts
Any news on getting a fix for 28pole motors? I am still having issue with Phoenix edge 110hv

4.19 version didn't work

My set up

Hacker a60 s7 28 pole
phoeniX edge 110hv
5 cell nano tech 5000 mah batteries. X2
Xoar 22x10
Extreme flight RC 78
serget is offline Find More Posts by serget
Old Jan 26, 2014, 04:50 PM
I can fly anything..... Once!
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Feb 2004
1,131 Posts
This problem did not affect the Original Castle Phoenix HV ESC. Only later ICE and the EDGE Series.

Can you describe the problem you are having?
FL62 is offline Find More Posts by FL62
Old Jan 26, 2014, 06:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serget View Post
Any news on getting a fix for 28pole motors? I am still having issue with Phoenix edge 110hv

4.19 version didn't work

My set up

Hacker a60 s7 28 pole
phoeniX edge 110hv
5 cell nano tech 5000 mah batteries. X2
Xoar 22x10
Extreme flight RC 78
Serget,

22x10 props won't work for some reason with that setup and firmware. If you drop to 21x10 you will get full power. Seems strange I know. 22x10 i would get around 1100 watts. 21x10 I would get around 1800 watts. 6S 5000mah Lipo.
jason360 is offline Find More Posts by jason360
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:36 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jun 2013
38 Posts
I will try 21x10 when the weather gets better.

Thanks
serget is offline Find More Posts by serget
Old Apr 02, 2014, 07:36 AM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Feb 2013
13 Posts
CC Edge Firmware??

Does anyone have an update regarding Edge firmware? Version 4.19 didn't resolve the issues people are having with 28 pole Hackers and it's been over six months since CC has issued this update. Just wondering what people are going to be doing with a new flying season rapidly approaching.

Also, I was under the impression Hacker 28 pole motors should be configured to run at 8kHz, not 12kHz as reported in an earlier post. If I am wrong about this, please point me in the right direction!
mm2icbm is offline Find More Posts by mm2icbm
Old Apr 03, 2014, 04:21 AM
Joined Jan 2013
120 Posts
I have 8khz because som one told thats best. I dont know this is the best. Use 3.27 software