HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2007
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcMaine View Post
Just joined the forums, and ran across this thread.

what a time to decide I want my first "bigger" plan to be a balsa kit.

I'm currently fiddling with the ultra-micros. So this will be my first larger plane.

I'm thinking about the Steven's Aero Fullhouse.

Skill level: Newbie

Is it too late to join in? I haven't even order a kit yet. :/

First newbie question: When ordering the kit is it better to order the extras with it or pick them up later as you come to them? Specifically the electronics and covering material really.
Have you flown 4 channel yet? Done any balsa builds in the past?

I agree with Frank, that a Squirt would be a good 'first big plane', but if you have a little building and flying experience, go ahead and jump into the FullHouse. I designed it, so I can answer any questions you have.

Buy all of your supplies now - as Frank said, it'll save you shipping. Bill offers a package deal with all of the electronics and the kit for a $32.00 savings. That'll go a long way towards covering and glue.

Mark
fleaz is offline Find More Posts by fleaz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:52 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Okay, folks, I've started my Tiger build. I'll be posting photos and updates on my build thread. However, every once in a while I think those of us who have built a few kits will come up with something that everyone should know about.

For instance, a tip I got from one of the old timers at my local club is that the the first thing I do when I remove a piece of wood from the box with the intent of doing something with it, is to lightly sand both sides and the edges. Not enough to change any shapes, but enough to remove any surface sealer that might have been applied to protect against moisture. He said they put on a light coat to keep the wood from warping before it is sold. Unfortunately, this can also keep glue from getting a good grip. Not certain this is 100% true, but I have seen wood pop out of a joint leaving the glue in place like a socket, so I am confident there is some truth to it.

--
Tom
RCPtero is offline Find More Posts by RCPtero
Last edited by RCPtero; Sep 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Typos
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:21 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,315 Posts
#21 model building clinic >> Great Planes J-3 Cub .40 <<

Here is a link to my build thread for a 1:5.5-scale 76.5" Great Planes J-3 Cub .40:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post22871353

Please join me there for an open discussion of this build.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:28 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Here is a link to my build thread for a 1:5.5-scale 76.5" Great Planes J-3 Cub .40:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post22871353

Please join me there for an open discussion of this build.
Got it. Thanks!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaz View Post
Have you flown 4 channel yet? Done any balsa builds in the past?

I agree with Frank, that a Squirt would be a good 'first big plane', but if you have a little building and flying experience, go ahead and jump into the FullHouse. I designed it, so I can answer any questions you have.

Buy all of your supplies now - as Frank said, it'll save you shipping. Bill offers a package deal with all of the electronics and the kit for a $32.00 savings. That'll go a long way towards covering and glue.

Mark
dmcMaine,

That sounds like too good of a deal to pass up. Although the SQuiRT is a great plane and perfect for a first time builder, if you feel up to it, go for the FullHouse. Rarely do people get this kind of offer from a designer of an airplane. No pressure of course.

Thanks for helping out Mark! We appreciate that.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:48 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Okay, next tip. If your plan calls for building two fuselage sides with re-enforcement on the inside, be sure to build mirror image sides rather than two rights or two lefts. I didn't mess up on this Tiger (yet), but I have a Super Skybolt with one side cut by hand and a spare of the other side sitting on the shelf!

--
Tom
RCPtero is offline Find More Posts by RCPtero
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:46 PM
United States, ME, West Bath
Joined Sep 2012
61 Posts
OK. The FullHouse is ordered. I do have the UM T-28 so can at least keep an aileron plane in the air. Plus by spring I should also have a flying club to lean on.

Thanks for the advice on the Squirt. I didn't want to go that path because of the absence of ailerons. For this build I wanted:

1. Relatively easy to build
2. High quality laser-cut kit
3. 4-channel high wing
4. An 'off-the-beaten-path' design.

FullHouse fits all four perfectly.

Now to make sure my workshop is ready for it when it arrives....
dmcMaine is offline Find More Posts by dmcMaine
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,772 Posts
Quote:
OK. The FullHouse is ordered. I do have the UM T-28 so can at least keep an aileron plane in the air. Plus by spring I should also have a flying club to lean on.

Thanks for the advice on the Squirt. I didn't want to go that path because of the absence of ailerons. For this build I wanted:

1. Relatively easy to build
2. High quality laser-cut kit
3. 4-channel high wing
4. An 'off-the-beaten-path' design.

FullHouse fits all four perfectly.

Now to make sure my workshop is ready for it when it arrives....
Very good choice. Even though the SQuiRT does have an aileron wing that is availavble to purchase, I was hoping someone woould build the FullHouse.

See post #2 when you decide to start your thread. If it were me, I'd start it on the beginners forum here on RCG so they can see building a balsa plane is not such a scary thing. And since this is a trainer plane, that would fit in perfectly there.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, ME, West Bath
Joined Sep 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Very good choice. Even though the SQuiRT does have an aileron wing that is availavble to purchase, I was hoping someone woould build the FullHouse.

See post #2 when you decide to start your thread. If it were me, I'd start it on the beginners forum here on RCG so they can see building a balsa plane is not such a scary thing. And since this is a trainer plane, that would fit in perfectly there.

Frank
Thread started: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743644
dmcMaine is offline Find More Posts by dmcMaine
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,772 Posts
Quote:
Got it and great first post!

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Some of you builders might want to look at a new forum we are trying to start:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744238

Balsa and Lite Ply Scratch and Kit Build Forum

Go and make your vote count!

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:31 PM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Some of you builders might want to look at a new forum we are trying to start:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1744238

Balsa and Lite Ply Scratch and Kit Build Forum

Go and make your vote count!

Robert
Agreed we need all the votes we can. Yes votes that is.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,772 Posts
I've seen this happen before and I am not holding my breath. Sadly, the word gets out and just to sabatoge the new forum, a lot of people vote "no" even though they don't even care about or would even participate in the new forum.

But I guess we can always hope for for the best.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:53 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,811 Posts
That's a shame that someone would do that. I understand if they think the forum too closely replicates another forum and they're worried about watering down the 1st forum, but other than that, I really don't see what an additional forum would hurt. Even with the additional pictures and all, with hard drive space being so huge and cheap now, it's not like an extra forum is going to bog anything down or cost RCG any additional money. Now if they completely changed their software like ANOTHER un-named RC site and screwed everything up, that's different!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,772 Posts
It is a shame and it looks like it is already happening. People are capable of very spiteful things and I have seen some very ugly things happen here on RCG in my time here.

Frank
RCG Plus Member