HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Jul 2012
28 Posts
Help!
PZ Ultra Micro T-28 Ailerons Not Working

Hello,

When I plug the battery into the T-28 the throttle, rudder and elevator work fine but the ailerons do not. The aileron servo is making a loud buzzing or humming noise. As soon as I unplug the aileron servo the noise stops. Would that be a problem with the servo or the Rx board? I see no movement at all from the aileron servo. Should I try plugging the aileron servo into the reversed aileron port and test and if so would that be the same movement on the transmitter? I would hate for the problem to be with the Rx board they cost over $50.00. How would this plane fly without using the ailerons?

Thank you,

Nomadtech
Nomadtech is offline Find More Posts by Nomadtech
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:00 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
It would fly terribly. Both the micro and full size parkzone T28 dive at the first touch of rudder. As for the aileron problem, switch them, see if it does anything.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:38 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Open it up, spin the aileron servo by hand and see if it sticks at a certain point, the gears can get dirt stuck in them or a tooth can even get bent over.

On mine, I did have to replace the aileron servo at one point (I think it was crash related, but not sure).
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
I could almost guarantee you have a bit of debris in the servo gear. Happens all the time to my kids' Champs. We fly around baseball fields so any tiny bit of sand is enough to trip them up.

Roll the gear by hand and you'll probably feel it hang up. You may not even see the dirt unless you use magnification. That servo is right in the airflow line, so anything picked up by the prop can travel over it. It's a simple fix, just try not to use anything that'll damaged the gear to remove it.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Jul 2012
28 Posts
I tried the reverse servo and the ailerons are still not working. I also rolled the gear to make sure it wasn't blocked by anything and it still is not working.
how do I determine whether it is the Rx or the servo? Hopefully it is the servo that is the problem.

Thank you for everyones help.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:43 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,000 Posts
You're not alone. I'm having the same problem. In fact, the ailerons completely reversed on me. I've been flying my UM T-28 since beginning of last summer. I've been through 3 motors. I have hundreds of flights on it. I know the ailerons ran from the beginning set on the TX (DX6i) in regular orientation. Recently I lost control of the ailerons. Yup, strange buzzing sound and ailerons were not working. Unplugging and plugging the battery in and I had control again. I launched, went to bank left and it banked right!

I've switched and reversed the ailerons on the TX. Been flying for over a week like that. It still loses aileron control now and then. I get it back and fly just fine until the next day it happens again.

I did some work on the wing today and opened up the fuse. I found the aileron servo wire slightly loose where it plugged into the brick. Pushed it in and was fine.... for a while (still reversed though.) They stopped on me in mid-air again tonight. Got the plane down fine this time using the rudder (like was said, it doesn't fly well with the rudder only at all, anything more than a breath of air on the rudder stick and it sends the plane straight down.)

I don't think it is dirt. While working the aileron stick with the fuse opened up, I can see it wasn't even trying to move the aileron servo. There is absolutely zero control. The brick just emits a strange buzzing sound.

Haven't looked at it after the last flight yet. I'll look tomorrow to check the aileron wire again. I recall reading someone elses post with the same issue a few weeks ago, right before mine did it. I can't remember where I read it at now though, might have been on the UM T-28 thread in the "micro RTF" subforum.

The reversing ailerons really baffles me.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Jul 2012
28 Posts
The buzzing is exactly what mine is doing. But the buzzing stops while I am moving the aileron control on the transmitter. Once I determine which servo to get I will replace that and test. I plugged the aileron servo into the reverse aileron port on the RX and followed the instructions in the manual to enable that port for the ailerons as recommended but still didnt work. hopefully it will be a problem with the servo. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you,
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Jul 2012
28 Posts
I replaced the servo and she is ready to fly so the problem was caused by a fautly servo. Although I am not qualified to fly it yet it will be waiting until I finish my training with my UM J-3 cub.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:21 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadtech View Post
Although I am not qualified to fly it yet it will be waiting until I finish my training with my UM J-3 cub.
Qualified? who says you have to be qualified
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:37 PM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Qualified? who says you have to be qualified
agreed, if your feeling it and your doing fine with the cub, take the 28 up make a nice slow pattern and bring it back down calmly over some grass, let the nerves cool down and take it back up. I'm guessing you'll be fine, unless your just having a nightmare of a time with the cub.
boats
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My staple plane the UM P-51
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Jul 2012
28 Posts
I flew the UM T-28 Trojan today for the first time and after some adjustments it flew really good. It did seem easier to fly then the UM j-3 cub but alot faster and more responsive with the ailerons. Well now I have two very good flying planes. Now I have to start working on my skills. The only bad thing that I noticed with the T-28 is I often have a hard time telling which direction it is going.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:18 PM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadtech View Post
The only bad thing that I noticed with the T-28 is I often have a hard time telling which direction it is going.

I have the same problem with my P-51, do you have the landing gear on? if not keep it on, that helps me alot. I think that is just one of the major draw backs of having a UM plane, I tried putting a strip of bright orange tape on the bottom of the wings, but honestly it didnt help that much when i get it farther out. also, if its farther out try "wiggling" the ailerons a bit kind of like a wave, that should help also
boats

congrats on having another flyer tho!
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My staple plane the UM P-51
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:49 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I found differing wingtip colors to be very useful, a set of invasion stripes on the bottom is also useful.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave