Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:04 PM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
171 Posts
Discussion
Telemaster Deluxe

Suitable for relative novice?
Am able to fly Trex Helis, and have about 3 flights on a Multiplex Mentor, 3 on a Dynam Cessna and 400,000 on a champ.

Have built a few all balsa kits, and have enjoyed the process.

Not an expert builder by any means, or even a competent pilot, but like the idea of a slow, gentle plane of a decent size. Reckon there is years of skillbuilding in flying a plane like this.

The only thing holding me back is the cost at moment. Shipping to Australia is HUGE.
But it seems that you need to spend decent money to get a kit made of decent wood, that fits, and doesnt require a degree in engineering to work out.
Not asking for much am I?

My questions are.
Kit - decent quality? ie good wood selection, goes together as it should.
Flight characteristics - docile, plenty of time to react.

all comments, positive or negative are welcomed,
I should add, I am recovering from a stroke, and some other surgery, and see this hobby as part of my rehab. Building is part of this.
Certainly the heli coordination skills have required a lot of work!.
peterreebok is online now Find More Posts by peterreebok
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,098 Posts
I have not built one or flown one of this size. I have flown an older 8 foot Telemaster and it's a good easy trainer. The Sig Senior is also an excellent flying trainer.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:52 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,237 Posts
I'm currently building a 12' one. Wood quality is quite good. Directions and plans are also good.

I haven't done a smaller one, but I understand they are also nice.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:01 AM
Joined Nov 2010
171 Posts
Bigger one

They dont ship the 12' one to australia.
More interested in flight characteristics, at present.
Seems to need to be flown into land, otherwise will 'float' to a stop above the ground!
Tail looks like it will weathervane easily.

Or am I reading too much into the videos on youtube?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,237 Posts
They all seem to be light wing load planes, so I would expect them to be floaty. Light high wing planes to me also seem most difficult to land in cross wind.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,098 Posts
Yes the large ones can really float, makes for nice wheel landings
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Nov 2010
171 Posts
done deal

just pulled the pin on the order, so a delux telemaster 40 will be on its way to me shortly (i hope).

Life could get busy in the evenings here over winter (Autumn starts here on Sunday)

Also have ordered 3 x HK mini stick kits (at $15 each, good building experience, and probably years of flying, throw away when crashed!), and along with finishing the Mountain Models Cub, have plenty to see me thru the winter.

Looked and looked, and just couldnt find many negative comments about the telemaster. But could find plenty of people that have had em for years.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
171 Posts
Arrived this week. Will finish off the other builds before tackling this one.
The quality of the laser cutting seems high. Reckon a few trial fits before adding glue will see thru this build OK.
Slowly slowly build it properly works well with kits. Never quite seem to see things the way the manual writer saw it.
Old May 12, 2012, 03:43 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
889 Posts
I learned to fly on the 55 inch Telemaster from hobby-lobby. Great flying plane, but very light in the wind. (3.5 pounds).

I think that Telemasters make good trainers. Better lighter than heavier. Just watch flying in the wind, with the light wing loading. You will learn to fly the wind, which is a good thing to learn.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141