Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:54 PM
I like turtles
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
I'm gonna run it in my foamies and my pa addiction while I build the pattern. Don't trust the dx8?
Mattfoo83 is offline Find More Posts by Mattfoo83
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:35 AM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts
The World Models Super Taiji EP (40)

[Quote]Mattfoo83, I'm gonna run it in my foamies and my pa addiction while I build the pattern. Don't trust the dx8?
__________________________________________________ ____________

I always test a new radio, in a inexpensive airplane, before I trust it to a plane that I have a sizable investment in. That's just common sense.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:38 AM
I like turtles
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
Very true. I do the same just in a different way I guess
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:23 PM
I like turtles
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
Ok so I was at the flying field today and there where 2 pattern guys there. Both had gp sequences. And I don't know what setups they had but one was blocked at 78mph by a radar gun. The guys where pricks and didn't talk to anyone but themselves so getting info from them was like talking to my teenage daughter. The one being clocked was a 62". So will the tiaji fly at these speeds? I do kinda want it to fly fast. This guy was kinda pissy when I clocked my ultra stick on a 5s at 98mph....... But id be happy with my pattern ship a 70.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:08 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts

Mattfoo83,

If you are going to use your E-Flite Power 32, On 5s with a 12 x 6 Prop, you should get around 65 to 70 mph, But you will probably be pulling close to 60A and that's at the limit of your power 32.

Using a 4s with a 13 x 8 will also get you about 65 to 70 mph and the amps will be about the same as with the 5s. I would probably use a 70 to 80A ESC with that set-up and limit my flight's to 5 min.

J
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:42 AM
I like turtles
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Mattfoo83,

If you are going to use your E-Flite Power 32, On 5s with a 12 x 6 Prop, you should get around 65 to 70 mph, But you will probably be pulling close to 60A and that's at the limit of your power 32.

Using a 4s with a 13 x 8 will also get you about 65 to 70 mph and the amps will be about the same as with the 5s. I would probably use a 70 to 80A ESC with that set-up and limit my flight's to 5 min.

J
Is there a better suited motor than this? Ill buy the correct motor.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:39 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts

Mattfoo83,

Your power 32 will fly the plane ok. You, just have to be careful not to run it a max throttle all the time.

I am using a Scorpion Sll-3020 890Kv motor in mine, Running a 11 x 8 prop, 60A ESC, 4s, 14.8v 25c 2650mAh Lipo It's pulling about 42Amps and I'm around 70 - 75mph.

Ever since the price went up on the Scorpion and Hacker motors, I quit using them and went to a different brand of motor.

Mattfoo83, If you don't already have one, I would suggest that you invest in a Watt meter, It will help you tremendously in determining the proper set-up for your motor and prop.

I have two watt meters and one of them is a expensive meter, while the other one isn't. There's only a 10th of a volt difference between them.

J
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:47 PM
I like turtles
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
Yes that is something ill pick up. Was planning on it. I'm not interested in running a setup that I can't abuse. Its not that I will...... Just want the ability to, if I so chose. So ill save the .32 for something else.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:51 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfoo83 View Post
Yes that is something ill pick up. Was planning on it. I'm not interested in running a setup that I can't abuse. Its not that I will...... Just want the ability to, if I so chose. So ill save the .32 for something else.

Mattfoo83, You probably wouldn't be abusing your power 32, But you would be running it close to the maxium Amps that is recommended for it. I run my motors as close to the max amp rating as I can. So I can get the most out of the motor, as I can. The motor will unload in the air, So if I go over the amp rating by a few amps, I don't worry about it, unless after flying, The motor is very hot. That's why I use a watt meter to get the most out of the motor.

Take a look at this watt meter. http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...wattmeter.html

J
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:21 PM
I like turtles
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
So do you you just put so deans plugs (its what all my planes use) on both ends and run it in line between the battery and esc? Or between esc and motor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:42 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts
Matfoo83,

Yes, You install the connectors of your choice (deans, EC-3, EC-5 etc)) on each side of the watt meter, you would mate the connectors according to the mating connectors of you battery and ESC. The two outputs on the watt meter are called the LOAD and SOURCE. Here's a manual that shows everything and more than you ever wanted to know about watt meters. On page 17 is a chart showing the various options of hooking up the watt meter to perform various functions.

http://www.rc-electronics-usa.com/do...ser_manual.pdf

The first diagram is the one to use for checking the load on the ESC and Motor. It will show you Watts, Voltage, and Amps then, show you the load in amps, the total watts and the decrease in volts as you increase the throttle to the motor.

J
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:05 AM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
591 Posts
Hi guys

I've been watching this thread of some time now. I picked up one of these ARF's last summer as a project for this winter. I was going to go with an electric power system but the one I have has no battery hatch and it looked like it was going to be pain to put one in and make a nice job of it. Then I saw the new 10cc gas engine by Evolution.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ngine-EVOE10GX

It is supposed to replace a .40 to .60 nitro engine. I have other larger gas planes and love them. There cheep to operate, fly for ever on one tank and not too messy. What do you guys think? Is this enough power? Is it too heavy? The cost should be close to that of a quality electric power system. I think it mite be a good match.

Rick
hammer833 is offline Find More Posts by hammer833
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:32 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts
hammer833,

Where did you get the Super Taiji 40? The only one I've seen is set up for EP right out of the box. Doesn't the canopy on the one you have come off?

If the one you have is the same size as the EP, The Engine that you plan on using should work fine.

J
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:34 PM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
hammer833,

Where did you get the Super Taiji 40? The only one I've seen is set up for EP right out of the box. Doesn't the canopy on the one you have come off?

If the one you have is the same size as the EP, The Engine that you plan on using should work fine.

J
I got it from KMP models at a fun fly last summer. He said it was really old stock. It was setup for nitro so the canopy doesn't come off.
hammer833 is offline Find More Posts by hammer833
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:53 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
994 Posts

hammer833,

It must be from old stock, As Airborne models ( that's where I got my Electric powered Super Taiji) shows the old nitro version, But it's been discontinued. I would like to have one of the 50 size nitro powered ones, As I have a Saito 4 stroke that would fit right in it.

I've seen the new Evolution 10 gas engine, but I've never tried to run any of my planes on gas, If Glo fuel keeps getting higher, I may switch over to gas, since they are bringing out small gas powered engines.

J