HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2015, 08:15 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,347 Posts
Discussion
Offshore Mono.

Our club is starting an Offshore mono & Cat class this year as a demonstration class. If there are enough entries throughout the year, it will become a fully fledged race class next year.

Well, always up for a challenge I decided to build a wooden mono, as I've never built one before.

CornelP posted some plans of a Wasabi 900 some time ago, & I know he has had some success with the hull.
Although the freeboard is probably a bit low for Offshore racing, I have always liked the look of the hull & thought I'd give it a go, blown up to 44" in length.

See the attached plans at the bottom of this post.

I've made a few alterations.
Firstly I had to remove the ride pad as we are not allowed them for racing here in Australia. I simply just made it a rounded V.

Secondly I didn't use the motor mount frames because I will be making it a twin drive mono. And outrunners at that. Well, if you are going to stuff something up, you might as well stuff it up properly.

So two of these on a 6s pack each will drive it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ass_Heli_.html

Here's a few pics so far.

Cheers.
Paul.
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Last edited by 785boats; Jan 19, 2015 at 02:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2015, 09:58 PM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
1,046 Posts
That looks nice, is it done yet? jk lol... cant wait to see it on the water!

cheers
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Jan 19, 2015, 01:08 AM
Joined Aug 2012
145 Posts
Awesome Paul.

I would like to do a 8th mono or cat one day.

Mmmm now how can I hide that from my missus
madracer is offline Find More Posts by madracer
Old Jan 19, 2015, 02:09 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,347 Posts
Thanks guys.
Farmer.
It might take a bit longer now. I've taken on building another 1/8 scale hydro for another club member, at the same time. I framed that one up yesterday afternoon.

Mark.
You won't be able to hide a boat that big.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:06 AM
Farmer
United States, CA
Joined Oct 2011
1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
Thanks guys.
Farmer.
It might take a bit longer now. I've taken on building another 1/8 scale hydro for another club member, at the same time. I framed that one up yesterday afternoon.

Mark.
You won't be able to hide a boat that big.
awesome you going to post pics of that build too?

btw i got my cheetah sort of running right now check out my thread i had to raise my strut really high to get rid of the torque rolling. i wonder if thats normal lol
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Jan 22, 2015, 01:39 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,347 Posts
No pics on that one. It is exactly the same hull as this one that I recently completed & will be built exactly the same way.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2263944

But an ML Boatworks "Miss Renault" 1/10 kit arrived yesterday & I stuck a few bits together this afternoon. So I'll probably start a build thread on that one.

I'll take a look at your Cheetah thread.
Like I said earlier in your thread, some guys have their struts up more than 1/4" to get the rear planted on the water.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 01:45 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,467 Posts
Nice build Paul, beautiful hull lines.

Question: are those motors gonna be enough beef for you? Is there a size limit?

Just thinkin if they each pull 100 amps, thats roughly 2500 watts x 2 = 5000 watts or 6.5 horsepower...............is that enough? Seems like it'll get you into the mid to high 50's, maybe low 60's.(mph)
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Jan 22, 2015, 02:23 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,347 Posts
Yeah mate. That will be heaps. I've got no idea what any of the other guys are running in theirs yet. Or what type & size of hull they are using. It's a combined Cat & Mono class. Most, I think, are considering cats. The idea of a twin drive mono is just to be different. Plus the fun factor of course.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 01:04 AM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,998 Posts
Looks really nice Paul, I've never built it bigger than 750mm (although I built about about 6 of them). The ride pad is also worth removing, it does nothing for the electric motors anyway.
Are you going to glass it?
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:05 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,347 Posts
Thanks mate.
And thanks for posting those plans. I've also been using your build thread as a bit of a guide. So thanks for that too.

I won't be glassing it. I don't glass any of my wooden Hydros & they seem to stand up to racing ok.

Are you still racing one of these hulls?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:27 AM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,998 Posts
I still have them, but I stripped the hardware some time ago...
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP