SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2015, 07:29 PM
Joined Feb 2009
107 Posts
Discussion
Shortening wires

I'm setting up my eSupra and would like to tailor various leads to get rid of excess wire especially with the ESC to motor and ESC to battery. I am using a CC 75a Edge ESC to a NEU 1110 and a TP 1300 3s battery. I have searched for threads on this topic and can't find anything specific. I don't intend to change motor leads. Any recommendations?
Randy Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Randy Reynolds
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2015, 07:52 PM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
293 Posts
The leads on the ESC can be shortened and connectors soldered on, no problem.
Mark Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
Old Jan 09, 2015, 09:19 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,578 Posts
Just did this today setting up a 4 metre Eagle. . Lopped off 2" on the Powerline 1025, 2" more on ESC both sides, then still more on the lipo. It'll be fine.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SUSA Eagle assembly stuff
Old Jan 09, 2015, 11:40 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,949 Posts
Randy,

You can shorten the ESC and battery leads as much as you'd like.
The recent NEU motors often have soft, flexible leads and these can be shortened too.
It the motor leads are stiff wire they should not be shortened.

To locate the ESC right behind the motor you may want to fold the ESC leads back and solder to the motor leads.

Good luck,
Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:37 AM
Joined Feb 2009
107 Posts
Thanks guys, good info. Surprisingly, my search didn't turn up very much on this topic but in the related threads which comes up below there was quite a bit of discussion. I wonder if manufacturers shouldn't address this in their instructions?

Lenny, thanks for the picture as that makes it pretty clear! My Neu motor has stiff but small diameter wires and they seem to be about the right length for my likely set-up. Likely I am going to have to move the ESC and battery further back into the fuse in order to get a balance and place the receiver in between them and the motor.

Can't say enough good about the Supra in terms of quality and completeness of detail. It makes sorting all these new steps (to me) a lot easier.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:34 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,881 Posts
I made this photo up years ago as a reminder for me.
I would assume it still applies.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2015, 04:48 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,787 Posts
Would suggest that you be careful lengthening BATTERY leads to the ESC. See:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952523

I blew up a Castle ESC a few years ago and one of the things they were concerned with was whether I had extended the battery leads. Apparently this creates more inductance and with the limited capacitance on most ESC's can set up an unstable current flow which will cause big trouble. (That wasn't the problem with my setup).

My understanding is that if you want to increase the battery lead length that you need to add additional capacitors in the circuit.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Jan 11, 2015, 06:12 PM
Joined Feb 2009
107 Posts
Don, that is quite the thread! It certainly seems authoritative and well beyond my endurance to get through never mind any technical comprehension.

In any event I likely need to lengthen wires as given the weight of my equipment things will need to move rearward from the motor including the ESC in order to get some balance without adding lead to the tail.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 02:26 PM
Joined Jun 2007
53 Posts
If the total length of both of the wires on the ESC and battery exceed about 12 inches you should consider adding caps. This is based on (1) experience with failed ESC and (2) discussion with Castle some years ago. While the caps may be bigger today on some brands it is still a good ref point. If you don't understand how to do this you can buy pre-made cap add-ons and guidance on this topic. I think it maybe on Castles site. None of my set-ups exceed 12-13 inches. Do not underestimate the risk of ignoring this. Not only did it destroy the ESC but the cap wires disappeared!

Ray
Raymey is offline Find More Posts by Raymey
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:48 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Reynolds View Post
I'm setting up my eSupra and would like to tailor various leads to get rid of excess wire especially with the ESC to motor and ESC to battery. I am using a CC 75a Edge ESC to a NEU 1110 and a TP 1300 3s battery. I have searched for threads on this topic and can't find anything specific. I don't intend to change motor leads. Any recommendations?
Is your e supra a long nose or has a nose cone?
If long nose F5J I will post some pictures of mine so you can see the placement of ESC.
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:39 AM
Joined Feb 2009
107 Posts
Ben, my eSupra has the long nose. It also has a Neu 1110 with a P29 gearbox so my objective is to be able to shift weight back from the motor in order to hit the recommended CG location. I should be able to locate the TP 1300 battery further back to acheive this but won't know until I'm ready to assemble everything. A picture of your set-up would be helpful I'm sure.

I intend to fly the Supra with a Taranis and so I'm trying to learn how to program that while solving various structural puzzles. I do have all the servos mounted in servo trays and that has gone well while trying to be accurate in location. Interestingly the supplied clevises with their 1/16" pins are too tight in the threaded metal horns and I had to drill a couple of them out so they would rotate without binding. Now the MKS servo arms have very small 1/32" holes in them but even when drilling those out with a 1/16" bit the clevis pins are still way too tight.....and so it goes. Looking forward to getting to solder up the power package components and I have been properly admonished but to exceed ESC/battery lead length.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:07 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,678 Posts
Sorry for delay
So as you see in the picture the cc50 ice lite is all the way in the front, there are no other obstical in the fuse it is wide open for battery placement, now my setup is diffrent than yours, I have a Reiseauer peggy pepper in mine on 17x10 RFM that is way lighter than your motor and my ESC is also lighter. My RX is installed in the wing so it is out of way of anything in the fuse, so my battery placement is way forward in the nose to reach 100mm CG.

In your case, now this is just MHO is to do the same so you can place your battery all the way in under the wing to get your CG. You can use a stick attached to the battery to easily place and remove it.
Ben
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:43 AM
Marc PUJOL
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
How do you put some ballast then?
marc.pujol is offline Find More Posts by marc.pujol
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:20 PM
Joined Feb 2009
107 Posts
Ben, great pictures, thanks. How is it that you can mount the rcvr in the wing?

Randy
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:44 PM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,678 Posts
All the wiring is done to the plugs installed in the wing, there is a compartment hatch in the center panel , there are 2 x4 pins plugs my ESC wire is also attached to those. Everything gets connected once center panel is attached to the fuse. Leaves you a wide open fuse to move things around.

Thank to Lenny with his incredible way to install thing so clean.
Ben