Old Jul 10, 2016, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by OldLady
V911, V912, Nano CP S
Joined Dec 2014
177 Posts
Discussion
Learning figure 8s

Hi again

I'm trying to increase my skills at accurate flying. I think I'm doing well with orientation hovers... it's winter here so I'm only flying indoors. How do you know if you are satisfactory at orientation hovers?

I am hopeless with figure eights and I'd like to work on doing those nicely so what are the steps?

Work on circles each way first?

Work know flying back and forth with just rudder turns?

I'm happy to take it as slowly as I need to so I'd love dome advice ☺
OldLady is offline Find More Posts by OldLady
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2016, 03:18 AM
Find More Posts by abenn
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
13,430 Posts
The thing about figure 8s is you're always turning so that the tail is towards you, so it should be easier than complete circles, where you're nose-in for half the time. I would suggest just practicing with slow rudder turns at each end, and gradually increase the forward motion so that the turns become more aileron.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jul 11, 2016, 06:41 AM
Find More Posts by denis747
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Nov 2015
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLady View Post
Hi again

I'm trying to increase my skills at accurate flying. I think I'm doing well with orientation hovers... it's winter here so I'm only flying indoors. How do you know if you are satisfactory at orientation hovers?

I am hopeless with figure eights and I'd like to work on doing those nicely so what are the steps?

Here are some good videos

Rc-Heli flight lesson 2... tail turns vs momentum turns (freddycanflyrc.com) (14 min 2 sec)

Rc-Heli flight lesson 3... Figure eights and variations (freddys flight academy) (11 min 30 sec)
denis747 is online now Find More Posts by denis747
Old Jul 11, 2016, 06:52 AM
Find More Posts by Steve_
Venting Nowlege
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
5,646 Posts
Quote:
Hi again

Are you working with the Nano CPS?

If so, banks in stunt mode are very tricky because it's so light and fast.

Larger helicopters are easier since there is more mass and momentum to work with.

That's why they say that if you can fly a micro CP, you can fly anything.

Keep at it. The only way to get better is to fly more. As you do, stuff will start to "click".

Helicopters are pretty much the pinnacle of RC, unless you are running a huge jet or battle bot with a 14 channel radio.

Freddy Can Fly is a great series. Although I have only watched a few of his videos, there are lots of folks that swear by them.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
Last edited by Steve_; Jul 11, 2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 02:17 PM
V911, V912, Nano CP S
Joined Dec 2014
177 Posts
Thanks guys... I'd seen that first Freddy video before and gotten a bit lost... but after doing some reading and watching it again after it kindly being posted in this thread it makes more sense again.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say I'm only up to practicing figure 8s on my v911... it's probably pretty basic but I just want to learn slowly and the right way so I know what I'm doing properly and thoroughly.

My figure 8s are not pretty so I want to practice simple moves that will help transition to pretty ones.

I really appreciate the replies... thanks ☺
Old Jul 19, 2016, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by holtneil
Heli nut " the wife said so "
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2012
2,173 Posts
Hi bank turns are hard to master speed helps a slow bank turn can come out ugly , this a video I did for my friend I am no expert but this worked for me so try this
how to go from hover to flight as a newbie (7 min 2 sec)
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Jul 20, 2016, 01:01 AM
V911, V912, Nano CP S
Joined Dec 2014
177 Posts
Awesome thanks... looks like I'm doing all the right things... in between practicing hovers I'm practicing flying backwards then turning 180 degrees and flying forwards... it looks cool ☺
Old Jul 20, 2016, 02:16 AM
Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
7,052 Posts
When you start turning it is a good idea to turn away from yourself. You don't want to turn towards yourself and not be in control.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jul 20, 2016, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
15,049 Posts
Quote:
Awesome thanks... looks like I'm doing all the right things... in between practicing hovers I'm practicing flying backwards then turning 180 degrees and flying forwards... it looks cool ☺
If you can master backwards flight then you are doing great. flying backward is still something that I struggle with, it just seems so unnatural and disorientating.. Give me inverted any day.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 20, 2016, 08:13 AM
Find More Posts by Steve_
Venting Nowlege
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
5,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
If you can master backwards flight then you are doing great. flying backward is still something that I struggle with, it just seems so unnatural and disorientating.. Give me inverted any day.
Cool, I feel much better now.

I thought I was the only one who struggled with backwards flight (let alone inverted flight).

The last time I crashed my mCPX hard enough to require serious attention was during a trial backwards run.
(It ended up being just a broken link, but my heart stopped for a second when it went in.)
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
Last edited by Steve_; Jul 20, 2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 02:54 PM
V911, V912, Nano CP S
Joined Dec 2014
177 Posts
Thanks guys... only a little backwards move but as I said it looks cool... to me at least... still very much a beginner but I must say practicing hovers and orientations has helped me immensely. Last time I attempted this hobby I didn't practice those things and got put off by my lack of progress and crash repairs.