Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Apr 11, 2016, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by grant31781
Joined Jun 2003
752 Posts
Discussion
Coning, rotor thrust vector and hang angle

Since the rotor thust vector aligns with the tip plane of the rotor, would a higher coning angle move the rotor thrust vector more forward than a rotor with little coning? If so the same gyro airframe would need more hang angle to keep the cg ahead off the rtv as the coming increases.

It seems like the higher flap back angle of the advancing blade would shift the rtv forward however with more coning the retreating blade would not fall as far as it would if there was less coning since the rotor is still canceling asymmetrical lift.
grant31781 is offline Find More Posts by grant31781
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2016, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Shipman
Joined Apr 2016
6 Posts
New build

Autogyro scratch build

I'm going to scratch build an autogyro and have been mulling over the concept of using a cyclic pitch head from a 450 helli. I have a 2 blade flybar head and a 3 blade fbl head to choose from and will use aerobalsa blades for this build.
The post about gyros by M. Nowell, and the head used there is really good but its a fixed pitch head and I'm not sure how to transform that theory into a cyclic pitch head version.
Has anyone tried a cyclic pitch head?
Has anyone got any ideas or theory they can share?
All and any help will be much appreciated and combined with the info that has already been posted in this thread I hope this build will fly successfully.

Phil Shipman is online now Send a private message to Phil Shipman Find More Posts by Phil Shipman
Phil Shipman is offline Find More Posts by Phil Shipman
Old Apr 12, 2016, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by grant31781
Joined Jun 2003
752 Posts
Phil,

The gws Dragon fly head is a cyclic pitch head with fly bar. I think you meant collective pitch. I think all you would have to do is lock the collective pitch for it to work. Or better make it adjustable so you can fine tune the blade pitch.
grant31781 is offline Find More Posts by grant31781