Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by leaktech
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
Question
Great Planes Planetary Gear Drive 24-28mm

Today I managed to unscrew the motor off the planetary drive while motoring up to altitude. Not good. Landed missing my canopy, tiny bearings and gears, and some pride. I know it's the less costly system but hey it should work if I do the install correctly. Right now with a new Ammo planetary gear drive I could be flying again but I'm not sure what I did wrong to have the motor screw itself off the back of the gear box. Followed the instructions as best I could. Hope someone with more experience than me(none till now) with planetary drives can offer some advice. The motor is a Ammo 28-56-2300kv turning a 16X10 Aeronaut folder, 60A esc, 3000mah 40c 3s batt. Is this too much torque for the Ammo reduction system to stay together?
leaktech is offline Find More Posts by leaktech
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by jackerbes
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
19,592 Posts
Is that the gear box discussed here?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1273614

It looks like that has right handed threads on both ends of the black center section of the part that makes up the gear housing. So I guess you attach the motor end to the motor with machine screws, then screw the black housing ring into that, then screw the end with the output shaft on to the end of the black housing, is that about right?

The torque reactions gets a little more complicated with a planetary gearing system.

To get a CW rotation on the prop, I think the motor (sun gear) rotates CCW, and the ring gear/shaft carrier/prop rotate CW. So the torque forces on the motor would have the motor housing and plane wanting to roll to the right.

All of that as seen from a pilot's seat view.

The roll to the right would want to unscrew the right hand threads, wouldn't it?

I realize I only have a 50/50 chance of being right about this...

Maybe a question over on that thread would gt you some help from other first hand users.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Last edited by jackerbes; Oct 08, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by Painter S
Joined Jun 2009
107 Posts
Your experience is very common-I have done it myself, along with many of my flying friends.It usually happens only once!

For the design shown in the link above, the threaded sections at both ends of the gearbox casing must be very firmly fixed to their mating parts. This is best done using a thread locking compound such as Loctite.I use one of the stronger grades which can only be easily removed using heat.I have never had a motor unscrew since using this method.
Painter S is offline Find More Posts by Painter S
Last edited by Painter S; Oct 08, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:20 PM
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
Thanks painter, Ill try that. Did use threadlocker maybe not enough or grease.got mixed in.

James
Old Dec 05, 2011, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by warwickcorvette1
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
On the Great Planes planetary gear drive 24-28mm, are the mounting holes on the front of the gear box that go to the firewall 19mm center to center, or 16mm?.

Thanks! Mitch
warwickcorvette1 is offline Find More Posts by warwickcorvette1
Old Dec 05, 2011, 04:38 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
19,592 Posts
It is absolutely crazy that you can't find that kind of info listed on the Tower Hobbies pages and even crazier that the tech support guys won't come up with an answer.

I suppose, like a lot of businesses in this country, they are having trouble finding high school graduates that can read a rule?

If you don't get a reply here you might try a PM to the guy that started this thread or the thread I linked to below, maybe one of them knows or can figure it out for you?

The photos in this thread make it look like it is a square pattern, it is supposed to fit 24-28mm motors, maybe it is 19 x 19?

Jack
Old Dec 05, 2011, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by M.Struck
Apalachin, NY
Joined Nov 2004
122 Posts
I had the same outcome with my first planetary gearbox. An Aveox motor and Maxon gearbox unscrewing in flight. There was no mention of using threadlock on the joint. Couldn't buy just the 3 small gears (that left the plane thru an air hole); an $80 lesson learned.

Matt
M.Struck is offline Find More Posts by M.Struck
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:59 PM
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
19mm

James
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by warwickcorvette1
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
Thanks James. I knew it was 19mm but wanted to be sure.

Jack, I actually got annoyed because if I ordered it then it would be in the mail right away. my point to him was if someone is preparing it for shipping than how can someone not pull the item and check it. I tried tech support and the main number and nobody gave me an answer. The tech support idiot kept saying the same thing that it would take 2 - 3 days for an answer and just was not listening to what I was saying. I have not got that pissed off in about 5 years and called him a useless moron and hung up on him. Not my style but he truly frustrated me.
warwickcorvette1 is offline Find More Posts by warwickcorvette1
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:18 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
19,592 Posts
Mitch,

I can understand how you feel, I've been through similar things with Tower Pro and Hobby Zone both.

I guess you noticed that the two halves of the gearbox can be self unscrewing in the most common mounting. I would probably be inclined to put it together and then drill a 2-56 hole for a locking screw. Or two of them if needed. The business about it having to be lubricated and Loctited both is an invitation to disaster. Like Matt says, it invites the use of the high strength stuff and then heat is needed to get it apart, etc., etc.

Jack
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:21 PM
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
War, that kid was more worried about someone telling him to pull his pants back up over his butt...... Future "Occupy" personnel.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:59 AM
Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Electric
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Oct 2009
2,701 Posts
Nobody in this world as any information about maximum motor RPMs.

I have a 3790kv ammo motor laying around and want to run 4s and a 10x12 @800w.
DeadstickDuck is offline Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Nov 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by mustflynow2
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,787 Posts
Depends on your motor, or do you mean for the gb? I ran the ammo, 3600kv on 4s with a narrow 13x9 or wider 13x6.5, model was approx 1.5kg. Motor would come down warm to hot, 6-8 sec runs on the switch
Loctite n kapton tape the outside too
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Nov 17, 2015, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Electric
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Oct 2009
2,701 Posts
It is for my Typhoon 2M glider @1600g and maybe the same 5-7 seconds at a time. The motor lists 60A max for 15 seconds and the 4s1800mA HV pack I use holds 15v at 56A....so, I'm aiming for 55A load for @825w at 80%eff(motor/gear losses).... So, like 675w to the prop.
DeadstickDuck is offline Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by KRProton
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,590 Posts
I don't know what you are looking for or what is your question, but seems you are looking for a little information on the Great Planes 4.3:1 gear box. Here is my experience and some figures in my blog on the Siren:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686872

More information in the Siren thread too beginning here, and more as the thread continues:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...356191&page=91

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton