SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2015, 02:05 PM
United States, WV, Morgantown
Joined Aug 2012
74 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Sony Actioncam AS100V / Analog Video Out cable pinout

I have had my Sony AS100V for about 10 months now and it surprises me how little information I see about its FPV capabilities. Therefore, I have decided to create this thread in hoping it would help rc fellows take advantage of this little powerful camera.

To begin, the sony actioncam AS100V is fully capable to connect to an analog video device via a port that sony calls "multiport". It boggles my mind how little this feature has been mentioned on any of the Sony's advertisement for this particular camera.
The "multiport" looks very much like a traditional micro usb 5 pin connector; however, it can do way more than simply charging the camera. It will accept your traditional micro USB cable to charge and transfer data back and forth when connected to a computer. Most importantly, you can connect to this port to a video transmitter or analog screen but there is one caveat... you only get analog composite video and audio out if you use Sony's VMC-15MR2 cable.

After getting this cable I was able to verify that the AS100V does analog video out and with no noticeable lag. I have made a couple of videos to demonstrate how simple it is to do true fpv with this amazing little camera.

After several requests about the VMC-15MR2 cable pinout, I went ahead and dissasembled the magic sort of expensive cable. To my surprise, I found out that this cable is far from the traditional 5 or 7 pin micro usb connector. As you can see from the pictures below, this cable has 15 pins. Of these 15 pins, only 5 are used for the composite out; however, the 5 pins connected to the composite out wires are not connected to the 5 pins on the "traditional" side, making it unlikely to fabricate a DIY functional av out cable from a "traditional" micro usb cable (Look at the cable picture for clarification).

Where to find the cable: ebay, amazon

Video demontration of a as100vsimple fpv setup (camera, VMC-15MR2, 5.8ghz TX/, TX battery, )
Sony actioncam HDR-AS100V FPV setup using composite out with Sony's multiport cable (4 min 16 sec)

Flying a crapy DIY quad with the Sony as100v

I hope you have found this information useful. Although I am not an expert in the matter, I will be glad to answer any questions you may have in regards to this little action cam

Happy flying,
Paisa
paisa is offline Find More Posts by paisa
Last edited by paisa; Feb 11, 2015 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Adding Video
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2015, 03:13 PM
I like to run with balloons!
United States, HI, Kahului
Joined Jan 2015
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisa View Post
I have had my Sony AS100V for about 10 months now and it surprises me how little information I see about its FPV capabilities. Therefore, I have decided to create this thread in hoping it would help rc fellows take advantage of this little powerful camera.

To begin, the sony actioncam AS100V is fully capable to connect to an analog video device via a port that sony calls "multiport". It boggles my mind how little this feature has been mentioned on any of the Sony's advertisement for this particular camera.
The "multiport" looks very much like a traditional micro usb 5 pin connector; however, it can do way more than simply charging the camera. It will accept your traditional micro USB cable to charge and transfer data back and forth when connected to a computer. Most importantly, you can connect to this port to a video transmitter or analog screen but there is one caveat... you only get analog composite video and audio out if you use Sony's VMC-15MR2 cable.

After getting this cable I was able to verify that the AS100V does analog video out and with no noticeable lag. I have made a couple of videos to demonstrate how simple it is to do true fpv with this amazing little camera.

After several requests about the VMC-15MR2 cable pinout, I went ahead and dissasembled the magic sort of expensive cable. To my surprise, I found out that this cable is far from the traditional 5 or 7 pin micro usb connector. As you can see from the pictures below, this cable has 15 pins. Of these 15 pins, only 5 are used for the composite out; however, the 5 pins connected to the composite out wires are not connected to the 5 pins on the "traditional" side, making it unlikely to fabricate a DIY functional av out cable from a "traditional" micro usb cable (Look at the cable picture for clarification).

Where to find the cable: ebay, amazon

Video demontration of a as100vsimple fpv setup (camera, VMC-15MR2, 5.8ghz TX/, TX battery, )

Flying a crapy DIY quad with the Sony as100v

I hope you have found this information useful. Although I am not an expert in the matter, I will be glad to answer any questions you may have in regards to this little action cam

Happy flying,
Paisa
Thanks pasia, this really helps those of us who want to use our Sony's for FPV. I also am amazed how little information there is on this. Thanks for pioneering! You really helped a lot!
rc808hawaii is online now Find More Posts by rc808hawaii
Old Jan 28, 2015, 03:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
74 Posts
You are welcome! I hope people start to realize how much potential the as100v has for FPV use and maybe we can start seeing more accessories such as gimbals and light AV cables being mass produced by third parties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc808hawaii View Post
Thanks pasia, this really helps those of us who want to use our Sony's for FPV. I also am amazed how little information there is on this. Thanks for pioneering! You really helped a lot!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 03:49 PM
Joined Sep 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisa View Post
You are welcome! I hope people start to realize how much potential the as100v has for FPV use and maybe we can start seeing more accessories such as gimbals and light AV cables being mass produced by third parties.
This is great, I have been looking for info on this for months! How did you connect the USB av cable to the video tx as I assume the av end needs an adapter to fit the transmitter? Thanks again for posting from Berlin b
brandenburg is offline Find More Posts by brandenburg
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:46 AM
Joined Aug 2012
74 Posts
Branderburg,

I am glad you have this information useful... You are right in your assumption, I ended up clipping the heavy yellow, red, and white composite connectors and soldered a balance plug (since I did not have a female servo connector on hand) to the yellow and white wires. I did not use the other wires from the cable (the audio left and right) since my video TX only transmits video signal.
I went ahead and ordered a new cable (since I ruined the one in the pictures)and will be cutting all the heavy wires; I will then solder the yellow and black wire from pins 3 and 6, to a lightweight servo lead (The original cable weights quite a bit).

Paisa
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandenburg View Post
This is great, I have been looking for info on this for months! How did you connect the USB av cable to the video tx as I assume the av end needs an adapter to fit the transmitter? Thanks again for posting from Berlin b
Old Jan 29, 2015, 02:05 PM
United States, WV, Culloden
Joined Aug 2013
544 Posts
I wonder if this cable works with the Sony action cam mini, HDR-AZ1?
syotr is offline Find More Posts by syotr
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
74 Posts
I would be happy to test it out if you send me an HDR-AZ1
I would venture to say that it will work as long as the camera says it supports multiport micro usb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syotr View Post
I wonder if this cable works with the Sony action cam mini, HDR-AZ1?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
Range

How much range does it have?
Nasp is offline Find More Posts by Nasp
Old Feb 01, 2015, 11:21 AM
Joined Apr 2013
7 Posts
Hi, great job
This is like an easter egg.

I have the HDR-AS15, is older but I love it and is capable of 1080p at 60fps too, so I'm not thinking about buying a newer model.
Do you think my camera is capable of av out like this awesome HDR-AS100?

Thank you and sorry my poor English.
Greetings.
Paulo L.
SepolP is offline Find More Posts by SepolP
Old Feb 02, 2015, 02:57 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,723 Posts
@ Sepo
my AS15 has no AV out
on a positive side it's just 28g uncased and works w/4v step_down, I power the action cam off flight-pack
SONY HDR-AS15 DIY BG gimbal and quad (0 min 53 sec)
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Feb 02, 2015, 03:08 PM
Joined Apr 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmkit View Post
@ Sepo
my AS15 has no AV out
on a positive side it's just 28g uncased and works w/4v step_down, I power the action cam off flight-pack
http://youtu.be/DxkNLov0hRc
Thanks fmkit.
Did you tried with the VMC-15MR2 cable?
Old Feb 02, 2015, 03:14 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepolP View Post
Thanks fmkit.
Did you tried with the VMC-15MR2 cable?

yes, just look at USB port, you'll see 4pins (USB only)
real multiport has 15pins
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Feb 02, 2015, 04:40 PM
Joined Apr 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
yes, just look at USB port, you'll see 4pins (USB only)
real multiport has 15pins
Oh ok, that makes sense. Thank you
Old Feb 04, 2015, 02:56 AM
I like to run with balloons!
United States, HI, Kahului
Joined Jan 2015
252 Posts
Quote:
@ Sepo
my AS15 has no AV out
http://youtu.be/DxkNLov0hRc
How are you controlling your quad? Do you have a thread or info on your build? Thanks.
rc808hawaii is online now Find More Posts by rc808hawaii
Old Feb 18, 2015, 03:46 PM
youtu.be/-BG4w4XMBeE
Bat-Yam, Israel
Joined Jan 2009
146 Posts
Great thread!
Does anyone tested AS30 and AS20 models for same video composite compability?
AndrewID is offline Find More Posts by AndrewID