HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:12 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,978 Posts
Build Log
Dz1sfb Oshkosh Sport with plans

Finally got around to finishing up the planes for the Oshkosh Sport. It is similar to the Oshkosh Special in that it shares the same Undercamber wing for slow flying and light wind conditions, but is built with adding a KFm3 wing in mind. The fuselage is a little wider for larger fingers, and also features a fold up assembly design. This particularly suits the machine cut kits that are available as well. I will be publishing an optional tabbed construction fuselage pattern set, for more conventional scratchbuilding.

Features, Specifications, and Equipment:
  • Wider and shorter depth fuselage for bigger fingers.
  • Folded assembly fuselage for cleaner finished appearance.
  • Engineered nose structure. No monoblock required.
  • Intigrated servo mounts.
  • Top mounted horizontal stabilizer for ease of assembly.
  • Reinforced wing saddle area that is ready to be cut to accept flat bottom and KFm 2 or 3 wings.
  • Botttom mount battery at balance point. Facilitates a variety of battery sizes.
  • Wingspan = 40"
  • Overall length = 29"
  • All Up Weight = 11 oz.
  • Motor - 2208-12 1800 Kv outrunner
  • ESC - 18A combo with motor above
  • Servos - two 9 or 10g units
  • Propeller - GWS 9x5 HD
  • Battery - 900-1200 2s
Flight characteristics:
This has similar stability characteristics as the Oshkosh Special, but is more refined. with the shoulder wing there is less pronounced pitching up with increased thrust, and rudder rolls are more axial. Flys well in light to moderate winds (5-15 mph), but calmer air usually equalls calmer nerves.

Should a be a hoot with a KFm2 or 3 wing with ailerons or the newer Armin wing with ailerons if you're needing more control. Plans for a 38" KFm3 wing are included.

Getting 13 kits of this ready to send to Australia. BTW kits are available for $25 and comes with the UC airfoil baked into the wings, and are manufactured from Dow High Performance Underlayment layflat FFF. This is very nice material compared to the Big Box Store foam. Flatter, smoother, and comes with skin on both sides (which is removed for machining). Shipping averages $7 for a single kit to the CONUS.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Nov 20, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:49 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,431 Posts
Nice. When I start mine, will take pictures. Thanks for starting this.

Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:15 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,978 Posts
I will put up some assembly pics as well.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:25 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,123 Posts
Very cool Ken. So I wanna hear more about the nose... no mono block eh? Do you think it will retain the same strength in the event of a nose in?

Definitely want to try the kf with ailerons. This should make a real nice aerobat.

Any vids to come?
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:28 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer View Post
Very cool Ken. So I wanna hear more about the nose... no mono block eh? Do you think it will retain the same strength in the event of a nose in?

Definitely want to try the kf with ailerons. This should make a real nice aerobat.

Any vids to come?
Hi Jimmy,

It is stronger than a Monoblock. The guy that has the original is a total newb. I was able to give him one lesson. He would come into work and tell me how he dorked it and in every case of needed repair we simply replaced the firewall. He kept pushing the motor through the 1/8" lite ply. Finally we replaced the lite ply with the same thickness ABS plastic. No other problems since then. So I would recommend regular plywood over lite ply for the firewall. Changing a firewall is a bit of work without cutting the nose cheeks off.

When I post the plans for the non-folder fuselage I will also include parts options for tricycle landing gear.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:34 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,431 Posts
Ken, just curious here, since I normally always go with the recommended stuff first. The 9x5 prop would appear to be too much prop for the 2208-12 1800kv.

Are you just using good throttle management or maybe is the GWS 9x5 staying within the specs?

I assume the 1800 gives the sport a little more speed, but just a guess. Not an expert on motors by any means, so I normally go by specs (or watt meter).

Not trying to disagree here, just curious really - always learning.

Thanks,
Bob

By the way, there is a 2208-14 that does recommend the 9x5, but it is 1450kv - maybe not as speedy?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:37 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Lurking in foamie school.
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:03 AM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,431 Posts
Ken, I think I found the answer. I re-read your list and noticed the ESC had the word "combo" in it.

I think the motor is actually a B2208-12. I found the "combo" (out of stock) on LightFlightRC. Your prop is correct, as I should have expected.

Bob
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:23 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
Ken, just curious here, since I normally always go with the recommended stuff first. The 9x5 prop would appear to be too much prop for the 2208-12 1800kv.

Are you just using good throttle management or maybe is the GWS 9x5 staying within the specs?

I assume the 1800 gives the sport a little more speed, but just a guess. Not an expert on motors by any means, so I normally go by specs (or watt meter).

Not trying to disagree here, just curious really - always learning.

Thanks,
Bob

By the way, there is a 2208-14 that does recommend the 9x5, but it is 1450kv - maybe not as speedy?
Heres the package I've been using since LightflightRC is not restocking http://www.batteryheatedclothing.com...rop-Saver.html

On 2s the 9x5 prop she runs cool as a cucumber!

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:21 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,431 Posts
I have to say that url is pretty funny.....checking it out..thanks..but then again, guess it gets cold up there :-)
Last edited by helicow; Nov 18, 2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:25 AM
BOXFUSE KING!
NO WIND CITY GUAM U.S.A
Joined Jan 2009
981 Posts
Another cool looking bird! Awesome job as always sir ken!:d:

Albrt
Kronikpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kronikpilot
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:39 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,978 Posts
Shipment to Australia

I finally got the shipment to Australia completed. Bruce keep your eyes skinned for this one.

Thought my friends here would like to see what 13 kits packaged looks like.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:51 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,684 Posts
Congratulations Ken and Bruce.

Ken does such beautiful work even the shipping looks good!

No wonder his planes are flying all over the globe.

If one of these birds gets homesick it's a long flight!
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:11 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,978 Posts
Thanks Don!

I just got the non folded construction templates up in the first post. That will help the folks who want to scratchbuild. Also updated the plans. I saw that I forgot to put the release date along with the length and weight spec's.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:59 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
That packing job looks like 'Christmas in Australia' and someone is going to be very happy when that box arrives! Ken, you are the 'machine'.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B