SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by MaXziim
Joined Jul 2013
40 Posts
Build Log
Long Cabin 1935

I found the plans for this model while browsing through outerzone and I figured scaled down to 65" might suit my new PAW 2.49.

I have not much of an idea about the history of the original 78" Long Cabin design or if it performs well but it ticked the boxes for me purely on looks and fairly simple construction, and as I'm still pretty green on the whole building from plans exercise, this is an important consideration!

Made a start last weekend by redrawing the plan in 2D and scaling from 78" to 65" At this scale the nose mount area is exactly the right width for the 2.49.
MaXziim is online now Find More Posts by MaXziim
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM
Joined Jul 2013
40 Posts
Starting with the fuse
Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM
Joined Jul 2013
40 Posts
More work on the fuse
Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM
Joined Jul 2013
40 Posts
The 2.49 fits well. I'm fairly sure it will tow this reduced size version around ok.
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM
Joined Jul 2013
40 Posts
Tail group made up and one wing panel off the board.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,889 Posts
Hi, I've never built one of these, but several guys here on the forum have built one, and you'll find at least one other Long Cabin thread (Bill's, from 2009).

They have a reputation of being great flyers. As you can see, the structure is light, but easily sufficient for easy, calm weather flying.

The only history I know (or think!) is that the "Long Cabin" name is more or less "by default".
When the model was originally published, it didn't have a name, but it's a cabin model, built by a gentleman whose name was "Long" (Fred Long, I think), so the publishers (perhaps Frank Zaic) called it the Long Cabin.

Anyway, it's a very nice plane.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
RFJ
Find More Posts by RFJ
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,940 Posts
This is what Model Builder had to say about it.

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
12,524 Posts
If you're looking for a gentle flying model or one that can climb and glide well with some thermal soaring then you signed up for the right model. And the power to size will be just right to suit this sort of behavior.

Your construction looks like you would not need to feel guilty by showcasing it behind some transparent or translucent covering either. Nice job!

With the size of rudder you've got do not use a lot of throw. You'll find that with the generous original dihedral that the rudder response is snappy and strong. You'll likely find that you don't need more than about plus and minus 3/4" of throw. At least that would be a good starting point.

If you elect to take out some of the dihedral don't make the wing TOO flat. Keep at least 1/2 of the original amount. And my own recommendation is to retain more like 2/3's. You'll want that much both to make sure you keep the crisp response to rudder inputs as well as keeping much of the original look of the OT design.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM
Joined Jul 2013
40 Posts
Thanks guys for the info. Certainly I'm looking for something with climb and glide performance, or just ticking around at minimal power, hence the RC version of the PAW diesel.
I'll be keeping the dihedral as per original with absolute minimum control surface throws. I'm not looking for a sport plane, rather something that will fly mostly unguided and just nudged in the right direction.

Covering will be SIG tissue and nitrate dope, its proven very durable on my other models so happy to go this way again.
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by williame3590
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
3,146 Posts
It's an outstanding flyer. I powered mine with an OS 40fs with loads of power to spare.
When I covered mine I was just using up all my odds and ends of Supercoverite.

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by gossie
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,600 Posts
A wonderful pre war model. I've been navel gazing at the plan for years.

A guy in our club had a proper size one back in the '70s, and flew it F/F with from memory with a PAW 2.5 or perhaps a PAW 3.5???? It later on had an R/C rudder added to steer it about.
It had thousands of flight.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie