Old Mar 18, 2015, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by Aerogance
U down with EPP? Ya u know me
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
3,287 Posts
Build Log
48" jw!!

There has been interest in a 48" JW. I have the first prototype ready to build and will try to get it in the air as soon as possible. The kit is a cut-down 60" wing with custom fuselage and custom fin. It will use the same elevon stock as the 60" so it should have some good roll rate for acro, but not quite as extreme as what the 36" can do. I am going with top and bottom spars like the 60 but plan to kit it with lighter joiners if I can get the tooling dialed in to mass produce them (saves about an ounce). Ultimately there will probably be a regular and a pro version with extra carbon.

The 60" JW is the best plank ever, so the 48" should hopefully fit right between the Mini and the 60 as far as stick feel and speed. It should be easier to store in your car than a 60" if you plan to fly after work and have a small vehicle and don't want the plane visible in the parking lot.

Based on how the first prototype flies, I will determine if anything needs to change with the planform. Once it is dialed in, I will keep a couple of kits in stock for immediate shipping.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Last edited by Aerogance; Mar 18, 2015 at 10:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2015, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
6,046 Posts
Hey Aaron, was wondering if you could do 1 piece spars Without a joiner? I have been doing this on recent jw builds with fiberglass rods. No difference in bend than the carbon with joiners. But you never have the spars coming out of the joiners and it is much easier to build also lighter not having a joiner. Just wondering
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2015, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by deputybuzz
Pledged to Always Chase Wind
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,655 Posts
Anxiously waiting for results on this one. Always wondered why there was just the jump down to 36"

One piece spar could be a good option but much harder for shipping. Maybe consider a flat ribbon spars. They coil up well for shipping and are surprisingly stiff when installed.
deputybuzz is offline Find More Posts by deputybuzz
Old Mar 18, 2015, 09:55 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,287 Posts
I am not opposed to ribbon spars but they do not easily fit into the grand scheme. I am trying to consolidate the BOM's for the different kits to eventually start lowering the price through economy of scale.

For example, with the carbon spars I can be more efficient for everyone's benefit as follows:
JW60 top spar is the same as the JW72 bottom spar
JW60 bottom spar is the same as Sonic spar and the JW48 top spar
JW36 spar is the same as the JW48 bottom spar

As far as ribbon spars, my plan with the 48 is to simply stock the 60" wing and cut down as needed for 48" kits. If the 48 proves to be a very popular model I could then spend the money on the tooling required to mass produce foam blanks which could allow for alternate spar configurations. I really would like to see more interest in the 36" JW since I can drop the price of the kit about $10-$15 once it hits sufficient volume to go the route of custom tooling for the foam. Its a fantastic little plane.

I am trying to get the tooling dialed in for processing kite ferrules since they will save a little weight and a little coin per kit for the smaller planes. Everything takes time and money, but in the end I just want the kits to be as good as they can be and at the best price I can offer them at.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:05 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,287 Posts
I started the build. I am building this like a typical JW. The only mods from a Classic build are that I am not using any TE wood and I cut the joiners down to 3".
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:09 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Hey Aaron, was wondering if you could do 1 piece spars Without a joiner? I have been doing this on recent jw builds with fiberglass rods. No difference in bend than the carbon with joiners. But you never have the spars coming out of the joiners and it is much easier to build also lighter not having a joiner. Just wondering
Do you any pictures of how you deal with the angle at the root? Curious about this for sure. With sanding the carbon and JB weld, I have not had one come loose yet. I have done tons of crash testing!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:11 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybuzz View Post
Anxiously waiting for results on this one. Always wondered why there was just the jump down to 36"
Bowman originally had the 36", 54" and 60" at one point. I can see why he probably skipped the 48" since there were already 3 sizes.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,947 Posts
A 48" JW sounds great. Put me down for a pro DS version. I bet you can almost fit a std sized servo out there.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by ScaredyCat
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Aug 2005
314 Posts
Jw48

Now you're talking!
ScaredyCat is offline Find More Posts by ScaredyCat
Old Mar 19, 2015, 03:13 AM
Find More Posts by garyholland
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
610 Posts
This is my old Bowmans 48". A good friend of mine (who's sadly no longer with us) gave it to me 10 years ago and I immediately tore it down and did a recover. Fuz is my own design ply box clad in EPP. Still looks tight after all these years - the power of 77 eh

Shame customs hit's us in the UK so hard, as I've got a bit precious over this one and would love a spare
garyholland is offline Find More Posts by garyholland
Old Mar 19, 2015, 05:10 AM
Find More Posts by Swoopdown
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,397 Posts
I loved my 54'JW. This one should be a ripper.
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Mar 19, 2015, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by Wacko1
Joined Sep 2004
280 Posts
Aaron- Glad to see you have added the 48" to the J-dub line up! Should be less twitchy than the 36", and more acrobatic than the 60". I have wanted one for awhile so I came up with a bagged "Woody" version. Instead of cutting down a 60" to 48", I stretched a 36" to 48" keeping the same root and tip chord from the 36" creating a higher aspect wing. The woody fuse is an experiment also. I've always wanted a break-away removable fuse for ease of transport and for those less than perfect landings. This is a high wind machine at 50oz. I may pick up one of your 48" for my light air version. Keep up the good work!! Matt
Wacko1 is offline Find More Posts by Wacko1
Old Mar 19, 2015, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
6,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance View Post
Do you any pictures of how you deal with the angle at the root? Curious about this for sure. With sanding the carbon and JB weld, I have not had one come loose yet. I have done tons of crash testing!
I just radiused the apex of the join in the foam slightly and bent it around slightly in the one go. Always wondered why the JW spars were angled so much and not straight??
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2015, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by ScaredyCat
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Aug 2005
314 Posts
Jw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacko1 View Post
Aaron- Glad to see you have added the 48" to the J-dub line up! Should be less twitchy than the 36", and more acrobatic than the 60". I have wanted one for awhile so I came up with a bagged "Woody" version. Instead of cutting down a 60" to 48", I stretched a 36" to 48" keeping the same root and tip chord from the 36" creating a higher aspect wing. The woody fuse is an experiment also. I've always wanted a break-away removable fuse for ease of transport and for those less than perfect landings. This is a high wind machine at 50oz. I may pick up one of your 48" for my light air version. Keep up the good work!! Matt
FYI... My 36 isn't twitchy...until it collides with another plane!
ScaredyCat is offline Find More Posts by ScaredyCat
Old Mar 19, 2015, 06:57 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,287 Posts
With today's computer radios, it is easy to dial out any twitchiness. The plane is actually very stable and totally locks in, I love the Mini.