HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2015, 12:55 PM
Joined Aug 2014
345 Posts
Discussion
Rewinding another Radian motor

I am waiting for a battery to charge then its off to look for work and then to fly. Its a perfect day today. 70 plus degrees and couds plus sun with a gentle breeze (Thermal) here and there. I want to do another re wind. It seems nobody is posting anything in the other thread posibly due to the fact the motor is in the plane and done.
I am thinking of doing a 16 Magnet wind with curved Magnets but I have no clue where to get the Magnets or How to instal them Then I also am not sure even how to wind. I ordered more wire I have 30 ga which is what came out of the motor and I have 24 ga which I can get 9 wraps in one direction on 1 stator , If I do 11 wraps the remaining 2 or 3 wraps can be done close to the hammer head.
I can also do 2 wraps should I do 1 wrap then the second start where I finished the last wrap? Because that seems to be what was done with the three strands on the original motor. It was impossible to tell because on the original motor the wire was glued in close to the hub and I could not un wrap neatly.
It seems the other motor was confusing to figure out. I will look at other threads to try to find my own answers . any help wood bee appreciated.

Thanks to all who reply Joseph

ps a noisy motor Is a good thing, higher tourque Is also good, Higher tourque and kv Wood Bee Awsome lol all in fun
flying ferret is online now Find More Posts by flying ferret
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2015, 12:56 PM
Joined Aug 2014
345 Posts
same motor not good I wil just get another motor lol
Old Jan 09, 2015, 06:58 PM
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Jan 2007
414 Posts
heh, perhaps you should just buy another motor. without proper knowledge of turns per pole and no facility to properly impregnate the windings with insulating varnish you are going to end up with hot spots that will cause failure after maybe 5 flights.
circletree is online now Find More Posts by circletree
Old Jan 09, 2015, 09:03 PM
Joined Aug 2014
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by circletree View Post
heh, perhaps you should just buy another motor. without proper knowledge of turns per pole and no facility to properly impregnate the windings with insulating varnish you are going to end up with hot spots that will cause failure after maybe 5 flights.
not true don't need varnish I also have a motor I re wound thats doing just fine allot better then the original that was wound with 3 layers of 30 gauge . of which the last layer was wraped loose as a goose lol thats what causes shorts loose lousy Chinese factory windings
Old Jan 09, 2015, 09:04 PM
Joined Aug 2014
345 Posts
heck the new motor doesn't even get warm it runs cool
Old Jan 09, 2015, 11:03 PM
Cubs
United States, NY, Hoosick Falls
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
I have a few motors that I abuse regularly after rewinding them and using no varnish. I don't think it's necessary for these motors because their not transformers and the stator doesn't turn and I like balance my props. If you wanted to get picky, you could put some on and use a blow gun to blow it in or a vacuum, preferably a shop vac, to pull it in. It does help to dissipate heat to air but that's not it's primary purpose. If you're using good wire, vibrations / chaffing won't be a problem.
bnesbitt is online now Find More Posts by bnesbitt
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:33 AM
Joined Aug 2014
345 Posts
I cant see Vibrations being a problem as long as I have a good prop and as I said before as far as the motor getting hot as long as I am not just continuously buzzing around at full throttle (which I am not!) Heat is not an issue either. I don't think 22ga por24 ga wire is going to move attall
Old Jan 10, 2015, 01:03 PM
Cubs
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Vibrations shouldn't be a problem at all. The varnish mostly helps with brushed motors where the armature is wound and rotating at high speeds connected to machinery that does vibrate and temperatures that are very high like the stuff you used to work on. They don't deal with permanent magnets so they can run at much much higher temps.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 01:22 PM
Joined Aug 2014
345 Posts
Well I found a Bird to stick this beast in when its done. I was tossed between a Berkly super buck 96" which would more likely need a Bigger motor.I will hold off on that and go ahead and do a modified Bird of time with flaps and the outer wing panels will Pivot like full Ailerons Like I did with the experimental radian wing I made . I feel like NASA with all this experimental stuff Perhaps when the Bird of time is done I will stick a FASA simbol on it and when the folks at the ama field ask what it means I will reply Ferret Aviation and Space Administration. I will need a wee ferret in the cockpit with a wee ferret space helmet lol

Pivot point needs to be closer to leading edge but its rock solid
Old Jan 10, 2015, 01:28 PM
Joined Aug 2014
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnesbitt View Post
Vibrations shouldn't be a problem at all. The varnish mostly helps with brushed motors where the armature is wound and rotating at high speeds connected to machinery that does vibrate and temperatures that are very high like the stuff you used to work on. They don't deal with permanent magnets so they can run at much much higher temps.
I seem to have nothing to do . how would i search for those curved magnets ? or should i just go with regular rectangle magnets?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 05:00 PM
Cubs
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Curved magnets are custom made. I know super magnet does custom magnets because I talked to them on the phone. Their the ones who prompted me to draft them in CAD. They also said that custom magnets are only about 20% more than for a single magnets of equal volume. However, they didn't quote me yet so I don't know how much they will charge for shipping. What I'm seeing here and in other groups is that shipping is very high for custom magnets so I'm going to find that out before I commit to anything. I'm looking to get magnets for about 15 or so motors. I have about 3 - 5 more to draft in CAD.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 05:14 PM
Joined Aug 2014
345 Posts
do you have a contact # if so when you complete the cad draweng for my motor you can e mail it to me and I will contact them If the price is reasonable for a loud and powerful motoe I will go for it. If not then I will keep it simple and stupid . perhapse measure my old magnets and get new ones and just wrap the motor with 2 layers of 24 ga wire. I will wind up with more copper then both 3 wraps of 30 or 1 of 22 either way I will have a better motor. I told the guy at the hobby store what i am doing and he said don't do it; you have enough power as it is. Not sure why someone would be so negative maybe he just wants to sell motors lol . not to mention I can get a decent hobby king motor for 20 usd through there east coast ware house.
Monday I am going to a print shop and printing the plans for a bird of time. I want to do a custom build with ailerons and flaps. fly long time lol. I will call it bird of a long time lol
Old Jan 10, 2015, 05:31 PM
Joined Aug 2014
345 Posts
heres a better question to ponder I have 24ga wire i can get 9 wraps in one direction with it . I can also fit 2 wraps on each pole posibly 3 although that would be tight.

The question is . do I wrap one layer in one direction and the second exactly opposite??? or
do I start the second wrap where i finished the first wrap and wind in the same direction?

the only reason I ask is i am not realy sure how the original motor was wrapped the only thing i know it 3 bundles and 11 wraps but the wires seemed to go in all different placesand they were glued in after the first wind so they broke as i un wound them.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 06:11 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
11,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ferret View Post
do you have a contact # if so when you complete the cad draweng for my motor you can e mail it to me and I will contact them ...
George Mizelli
www.supermagnetman.net/index.php?cPath=37
www.engconcepts.net

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jan 10, 2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:18 PM
Cubs
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
All the strands go in the same direction on one leg. When I use multiple strands, I wind all the strands at the same time. I have a hand full of small metal thread spools. I guess their better called bobbins. I wind what I need onto each spool and put all the spools on a rod and clamp the rod in a vice so the spools can turn freely as I wind the motor.