SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2015, 03:42 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,787 Posts
Discussion
Pusher jet Douglas Skyray

This beautiful '50s American delta has been among my favourites since making a balsa chuck glider version when I was, oh, about 10. I had been given "The Eagle Book of Balsa Models" for my birthday and in its glorious pages (balsa wood box-kite, anyone?) was a Bill Dean designed Skyray. It flew really well and I can remember flying it round the streets near my house every evening that summer.

Only 60 years later, here's my depron version. It's 20" span with scale outlines. Power is a 20g pole and stator 2500kV motor from Robotbirds here in the UK,, with a 17A SC and the option of a 2 or 3 cell 450 mAh battery. The 2 cell battery gets a cut-down 6x4 prop: the 3 cell turns a 4 x 4...which I have not yet tried. Two servos work the delta mix ailervators on my Spectrum DX7 to a small Spectrum RX.

The model is made from 6mm depron. The wing is one thickness with no reinforcing, ailerons hinged with blenderm tape, the fuz is four thicknesses of 6mm with the outer thicknesses being the forms for the side fairings. These are not fitted yet, as you can see from the pics.

I gave it a test glide in the garden then took it up to our Club field near Lymington. A very low-power glide got me to remove a lot of aileron reflex, then after a test flight I removed most of the rest. Again, you can see how little remains on the pictures.

She flies very well indeed for an untrimmed and untested design. I was really chuffed until a rather abrupt arrival took the nose off. It's glued back on now, and I plan on fitting the side fairings and getting out the paint pots.

Total weight is ridiculously low and the wing loading something like 5 oz/sq ft.

I got the 3-view from the web. Photos are by Christchurch Club-mate Alan Butterworth - thanks Alan!

This jet seems perfect for up-grading to EDF. I have a 70mm fan sitting around. I reckon 35" span might be about right. What do you think?
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Jan 23, 2015 at 05:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:39 PM
2 left thumbs!
Lake County, Ca
Joined Jan 2006
71 Posts
Nice work, always loved the skyray. Cant wait to see it with the fairings on.
Filthybeast is online now Find More Posts by Filthybeast
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,360 Posts
Thats' Great.
Amazing just how quickly easily one can build up a Flat Foamy.
As compared to the massive time/energy demands of a 'scale' model.
I'm just gong in the opposite direction ..having just built an accurate scale model ..
I'm Now slapping together a flat foamy version . I've done (so far) in an ~hour what took me weeks on the Scale version (exact same scale /3 views)
IMO Flat foamies are all about flying ... whilst Scale is All about building.
Pick your passion :-)
Slap some paint on that ? and you may just satisfy/mollify the Scale 'wants'
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Today, 10:10 AM
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Feb 2009
238 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965489 here is a link to one a friend of mine built, these things fly great we have been building them for years.
adgnade is online now Find More Posts by adgnade
Old Today, 05:25 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,787 Posts
Thanks guys - foamies fly well, but they don't always look as good as I'd like. I have done the painting on my Skyray and just waiting for some decals from Tim "Model Markings" Calvert, so it looks a bit like this one.

Is there a plan or kit for a EDF version? I'm still looking for a home for a 70mm fan. It would be my first EDF, so quite a challenge.
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Today, 05:31 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,217 Posts
Great Job SM , one of our absolute Favorites , especially the profile version ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Today, 06:33 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,360 Posts
here's a Kit for a Wemo minifan. Semi local to you too.
It's a proven Good flier as well. .. one could do a lot worse.
http://www.rbckits.com/shop/index.ph...&product_id=11
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Today, 06:55 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
994 Posts
Shipping may be prohibitive, but here's a full fuze F4D that can be done as a pusher or an EDF.

http://6mmflyrc.com/catalog/f4d-skyray

I'm a Skyray fan as well. Have built 2 profiles, both were excellent flyers.
Even a profile shows off that beautiful wing shape.
Mazzepa1 is offline Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Old Today, 11:14 PM
2 left thumbs!
Lake County, Ca
Joined Jan 2006
71 Posts
Here is Corsair Nuts F4d, There are plans in that thread somewhere for pusher prop and edf, which could be scaled to fit that 70mm fan.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537052

Plans are in post 234-
Filthybeast is online now Find More Posts by Filthybeast
Last edited by Filthybeast; Today at 11:23 PM.