HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2015, 03:50 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Feb 2011
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Baker View Post
The rules don't govern displacement (weight) other than specifying a minimum weight battery i.e.: 48 gr . This would seem reasonable as all boats are the same and modifications are not permitted (unless authorized).

I recently assembled a new "version 201405" and the specification (on the front page of the instructions) identified the RTR total weight at 1350 gr. All up with AA batteries mine weighs 1335 gr and with the minimum weight battery weighs 1274 gr. So we have a 76 gr spread from the specified weight, to my boat.

At what point does this weight variance become an advantage - lighter being potentially faster ? Are other boats within this weight range ?
Chris Macaluso won the Texas DF series last year and sailed the entire series with a stock battery pack covered in plasticote , and placed in the main hatch battery hole. Conditions on average winds ranging from 5-8 mph ( not super strong) but that pack weighed a whopping 180 grams!! Admittedly he suffered in the last couple races, and borrowed one of my Lifepo packs in the last regatta and not surprisingly the boat was better balanced, and peroformed a bit better in the lighter winds.

Obviously lighter is better in RC sailing, but really and truly because the DFs are about as close as you can get within one design sailing, the skill of the skipper in these boats will always win out... period
Windward RC is offline Find More Posts by Windward RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2015, 03:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
889 Posts
Honestly there are a lot of negatives to using a LiPo pack in these boats...

1) They have to have a voltage regulator because of the requirement of the stock main servo being a 6v servo... one more point of failure
2) LiPos dont seem as survivable as LiFes in a water environment

3) Most Lipos are light and you will need to add weight. (although maybe not that 1800 MaH one you speced Denison)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisoni1 View Post
Rice in a mesh bag works too

Was thinking of using this setup:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iver_Pack.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_Display.html

Works out to 118 g (typical 4 AA akaline receiver packs are approx. 120g)

I've been using these succesfully - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...NiMH_4pc_.html

Lots of capacity but take a bit to charge up.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 05:53 PM
RB
Joined Nov 2012
122 Posts
So what other boats weigh ? Windward , have you weighed yours ?
R Baker is offline Find More Posts by R Baker
Old Jan 21, 2015, 05:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
889 Posts
Quote:
Nope I was gonna start with the DF series in a couple weeks when we host it and have 20 boats or so...

We will get the good scale and throw everyones rigged boat on the scale, and see what it shows...

I know Buzz Coleman did a lot of weight testing and found very little variance between boats... most of it will come from battery packs
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:03 PM
Joined Feb 2011
889 Posts
Quote:
It might be interesting to compare our results with some of the other groups sailing as well in the UK, AUS, etc...

Since this is a one design class , we should share anything we can on how to optimize the class, and sail within the rules
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:15 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
585 Posts
@WindwardRC:
If you are going to ask people to post the weight of their boat, you need to be specific about the conditions when weighing. I suggest the weight point should be with the boat ready to put on the water (battery in and hatches sealed) and with the A rig installed. (There doesn't look to be much variation in rig weights anyway, all my rigs seem to be around 75 grams.)

The other challenge is finding accurate scales - I had previously used our digital kitchen scales - found out they were hopeless!!! Have since bought some that produce the same number each time, much better ;-)
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:15 PM
Plymouth, Minnesota
Joined Mar 2006
72 Posts
denison1 this is the battery pack I have been using for the past two years: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ver_Pack_.html

It's a LiFe pack that Windward RC talk about. They are safer to use than Lipo and the voltage works better with receivers and servos. Be sure to change your charger from Lipo to LiFe. It weighs 85g so you may want one a little lighter.
nopryde is offline Find More Posts by nopryde
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:34 PM
melbourne, australia
Joined Jun 2009
921 Posts
i have been running these since i got my df.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iver_Pack.html

i throw a fresh one in evey couple of hours.... have run 12 races over 4 hours without any problems.
it will need additional weight to comply with the rules.... they weigh between 35-38grams

cheers
a
ado1974 is online now Find More Posts by ado1974
Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:35 PM
Joined Feb 2011
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpenguin View Post
@WindwardRC:
If you are going to ask people to post the weight of their boat, you need to be specific about the conditions when weighing. I suggest the weight point should be with the boat ready to put on the water (battery in and hatches sealed) and with the A rig installed. (There doesn't look to be much variation in rig weights anyway, all my rigs seem to be around 75 grams.)

The other challenge is finding accurate scales - I had previously used our digital kitchen scales - found out they were hopeless!!! Have since bought some that produce the same number each time, much better ;-)
I agree , I intend to make note of which hatch is used, which hull model, and which battery, not really worried about any other variations
Old Jan 21, 2015, 07:54 PM
Chasing Yellow Pinkie
United States, MI, Grosse Pointe Farms
Joined May 2002
345 Posts
In most boats I would agree that lighter is better, but on several occasions I have seen where having some more mass might help carry through some chop. I bought a 1450mah 2S LiFe battery to test my hypothesis. The Zippy 1450 was the biggest that fits in the hole without modification. I don't recall how much more it weighs, but I can look it up.

SS
SecretSquirrel is online now Find More Posts by SecretSquirrel
Old Jan 22, 2015, 03:47 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2013
152 Posts
DF65 weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward RC View Post
It might be interesting to compare our results with some of the other groups sailing as well in the UK, AUS, etc...

Since this is a one design class , we should share anything we can on how to optimize the class, and sail within the rules
I have one of the pre production boats which I have repaired a few times and then repainted. I use a Zippy LiFe 700 mah battery brought up to min weight with a washer glued to it. With the A rig (Housemartin sails) the boat weighs 1250 grams ready to sail.
Radsail is online now Find More Posts by Radsail
Old Today, 03:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
889 Posts
There are now 23 entries for the upcoming RG65 USA National Championship Feb 27- Mar 1 in Melbourne Florida, making this officially the largest RG65 National Championship Regatta ever held in the USA!!
There are also now 5 entries for the Dragon Force Category!
Check out the entry list at: http://www.rg65usa.org/2015-rg65-ncr-entry-list.html
Old Today, 06:17 PM
United States, FL, Safety Harbor
Joined Oct 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward RC View Post
There are now 23 entries for the upcoming RG65 USA National Championship Feb 27- Mar 1 in Melbourne Florida, making this officially the largest RG65 National Championship Regatta ever held in the USA!!
There are also now 5 entries for the Dragon Force Category!
Check out the entry list at: http://www.rg65usa.org/2015-rg65-ncr-entry-list.html
Chuck,
The hosting clubs web site states that it will be a Dragonforce regional championship, is this correct.
mohsb is offline Find More Posts by mohsb
Old Today, 07:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsb View Post
Chuck,
The hosting clubs web site states that it will be a Dragonforce regional championship, is this correct.
Good question... I will check