SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:44 PM
Joined Dec 2013
16 Posts
Question
Traxxas Villain IV reborn!

I have a Traxxas Villain IV (RTR) that I purchased new back in the early to mid 90's. I ran it for a couple of summers (just a few outings each summer) and it did great. I always dried it off fairly well and kept it clean after each outing but I did minimal (if any) oiling or greasing of the shafts etc. I am not a big builder so I like minimal maintenance and plug n play when I can get by with it. I dug out the boat this year and thought I would get some new batteries and have fun with it but I would like to oil the shafts and put a touch of oil on the motors. I was wondering if anyone has a video log or even pictures of the process that I could look at. I was not able to find anything when I did a search for those types of resources so I thought I would check here. Thanks for any assistance in advance.
Striker22 is offline Find More Posts by Striker22
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2014, 07:35 AM
Norway, Finnmark, Kjøllefjord
Joined Aug 2013
150 Posts
My guess is that you have a flex shaft on that boat, so here is a YT video showing how to do that

HorizonRC.com How-To: How-To Maintain Your Boat's Flex Shaft (7 min 58 sec)
viceguy is offline Find More Posts by viceguy
Old Aug 30, 2014, 03:35 PM
Joined Dec 2013
16 Posts
Thanks for the video reference - I found it to be informative and think it will help me out. I have 3 in 1 oil instead of grease as that is what was recommended in the original manual but I think most of the steps should be the same.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 09:21 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
The Villain doesn't have a flex shaft, instead you have a solid shaft, a universal joint, and another solid shaft (for the prop).

IIRC, the motor mount has a nipple for oiling the main solid shaft, so shoot some oil in there and also give all the moving parts of the u-joints some oil as well.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 31, 2014, 06:55 PM
Joined Dec 2013
16 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I decided to try and take the grub screws out of several spots near the prop and u-joint but had problems as they would not budge (probably due to age) so I will have to get better allen wrenches or something to break them free if I want to get to them. I have an oil can and tubing already to go for the nipples but I was not sure if they would still work after all these years. I also ran into questions regarding the battery packs - I have a couple of Dynamite Super-Sport 1800 packs (NiCD) but I am sure that they are no good. I was trying to locate the correct replacement batteries for this boat - does anyone have any suggestions. I saw several NiMH 1800 packs but I was not sure if I could use the NiMH packs instead of NiCD. Thanks for the guidance in getting this boat back in the water where it belongs.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:33 PM
RcBoater
Joined Feb 2014
252 Posts
Stricker 22------ Now on Offshore electrics has a gentleman from Idaho who is into Villian iv pretty deep. --name is ---gsbuickman---just stroll down in building projects aways down. Pretty sharp gentleman. Title is Villians and etc.
Dennis Manning is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Manning
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:51 PM
RcBoater
Joined Feb 2014
252 Posts
Villian ex

I have one but revamped to make it a single motor like a 2030 UL-1 motor. I make my own stuffing tube and strut. Nimh batts are heavier than lipos so where you position the lipos will be important. Since you are going to keep it original as possible. gsbuickman on OSE can help you a lot. I'm not lazy but I want to run it a lot with original equipment and I could see too many hours on maintenance and expense that most likely exceed a single setup and took that route. No trim tabs and small turn fins. I'm done.
Dennis Manning is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Manning
Old Sep 01, 2014, 04:36 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
You can absolutely use NiMH packs instead of NiCad. You can get higher capacity packs for longer run times too.

Newer versions of the Villain ran on two packs in series for higher speeds. You could do the same by swapping out motors, adding water cooling and upgrading the ESC, or you could leave it all stock and enjoy it as is.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 06, 2014, 02:17 PM
Joined Dec 2013
16 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I am going to see what gsbuickman has available. I am really looking forward to getting it back in the water.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:35 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,332 Posts
You can go single brushless as well, I'm in the low 40's with mine. I have quite a few Villain build logs if you care to even give it a go. I also have stock versions if I can be of any assistance.

Here's one of 'em:

Traxxas Villain on 6s Lipo (1 min 9 sec)
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1