HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
Discussion
HFP resistance to High Voltage EMI?

I just did a scout for a shoot that I have coming up on Friday. Much of where I will be flying is near several high voltage power transmission lines. My question is: Has anyone flown HFP near high tension lines? I'm not going to be crazy near them, but they are in the area. I just remember as a kid holding a fluorescent tube up in the air at night, under the towers in our neighborhood and watching it glow. Curious if I may have an issue.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:53 AM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
I definitely haven't flown near any power wires, but magnetic field strength decreases and the inverse cube of the distance. This means it falls of VERY quickly the farther you get away from the source. I would say just don't get too close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZSlenker View Post
I just did a scout for a shoot that I have coming up on Friday. Much of where I will be flying is near several high voltage power transmission lines. My question is: Has anyone flown HFP near high tension lines? I'm not going to be crazy near them, but they are in the area. I just remember as a kid holding a fluorescent tube up in the air at night, under the towers in our neighborhood and watching it glow. Curious if I may have an issue.
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
Thanks George, the shoot went fine, other than loosing a prop. I didn't notice any handling issues. I did switch AL on a time or two just to check it out.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
I flew very close once - and that made my machine unresponsive to nick & roll & throttle - I waited till the battery got low and it descended quite slowly, then I hold it on the ground (while I cut my jeans with the props...) till the battery died.

This was definitely the power lines, but whether it was the Spektrum Receiver or the Hoverfly Board that couldnt handle it, is still unclear --> I just wont fly that near any more. (about 10 metres).

Good to know anyways
ed.ge is offline Find More Posts by ed.ge
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:02 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
964 Posts
If not HT lines - has anyone done cell-site tower inspections? 800-900Mhz bandwidth and relatively low transmitted power (compared to HT lines). I am looking at getting approx 5m away from the active aerial.
I know several AP guys used to fly rc-helis in the US doing this but now we are flying miniature computers... we might be more suseptable to interference.

I might do some tests near a local cell tower with a "disposable quad" first.

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz