SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:51 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,337 Posts
Discussion
Gaui X5 FES Super Combo - w/ Microbeast & other

I am starting this thread because i have not found any thread for this heli here at RCgroups. Though HF has a large section devoted to the heli. I just thought that this board could use it's own Gaui X5 FES with microbeast thread. Since i just put one on order that should arrive any day now. It will be my first legit quality Heli and i plan on giving my honest opinions on it's performance. The truth is i can't find anyone saying anything bad about it. So i don't even see a need for a review But here is a place to talk about it. I am moving up from Walkera products like the 4f200, v450 and the v120. They are okay for learning and i have completely overhauled most of them to perform better. But it's time for some quality flight. Plus the high winds here are a pain. I'm sure this heli will handle much better than any of those ever did.

GAUI X5 - Team Gaui Canada Alvin Chai winter wonderland "Are you cold?" (3 min 27 sec)

Key Features:

Newly designed Main Rotor Head and Swash Plate, produces quick control response and best stability.
Kit comes with SCORPION 910KV (1820W) BL Motor / GAUI 100A ESC / 500mm CF Main Blades which
provide the best power efficiency and the best power to weight ratio ratio of all EP helicopters.
New layout for Direct-Drive CCPM servos which results in a precisely control to Swash Plate.
CF main frame combines with integrated CNC servo / motor mounts results in a high rigidity frame
cage to withstand ultimate power output.
Equipped with heavy-duty torque tube driven tail.
Stylish painted FRP canopy.
Overall length: 1000mm (including cabin & canopy).
Main rotor diameter: 1120mm.
Tail rotor diameter: 235mm.
Tail Blade length: 82mm.
Overall height: 343mm.
Overall width: 160mm.
Motor: SCORPION 1820W/910KV BL Motor.
ESC: 100A ESC.
Total weight: 1820g (Equipped with blades and electronics. No battery).
Main rotor blades: 500mm to 530mm.
Flying duration: 4~5minutes with 6S1P (22.2V/4200mAh LiPo).

X5 Upgrades Link

Flybarless E-Stabilizer(FES)

X5 PARTS Link
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Oct 24, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:12 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,746 Posts
Hopefully this turns out to be a long lasting thread. I have never heard anything negative mentioned about the gaui x5. Plenty of positive reviews abound. I was considering this heli And still am. ( anyone who knows me, knows I'm a Lil wishy washy on my next upcoming heli ) From what i hear the power to weight ratio is off the hook when it comes to the gaui x5.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:38 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,477 Posts
Good luck with the thread!

I have an X5 FES w/uBeast myself that I got used around a year ago, and it is a beautiful setup.

I cannot speak too much about the performance, as all I've done with mine is hover in all orientations and do some gentle circuits, but it definitely does manage the wind, even in that mild regime in normal mode.

I am finally starting to work a bit more with helis now that my plane inventory is stable, so I'll be interested to look in on the thread for tips and info!

Pics of mine naked, and with both canopies (Canomod Dragonus and stock), and some of the Walkera stuff for my 4F200 fleet
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Oct 24, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:41 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Hopefully this turns out to be a long lasting thread. I have never heard anything negative mentioned about the gaui x5. Plenty of positive reviews abound. I was considering this heli And still am. ( anyone who knows me, knows I'm a Lil wishy washy on my next upcoming heli ) From what i hear the power to weight ratio is off the hook when it comes to the gaui x5.
As do i, I linked the thread in the other threads where i have been talking about getting one for a while now. So hopefully some of the people interested in or own a Gaui will come over and join the thread. I too am a little bit back and forth when it comes to deciding. Right until the money is in my hand. Then I figure it out. I really couldn't see any reason to get anything else at the end of the day. 6S over 12S makes the heli much lighter. The heli is not all that heavy in the first place and can accept a 4200 mAh pack. 5 minutes with that should be plenty! You can find the packs for under $80 from some manufacturers too. Even if you buy $130 Hyperion packs. Either way, 6S sure beats 12S any day when your pimping on a budget! So for the same amount of money for batteries for either a X5 or Align 600. I get 2 flights on the X5 vs 1 on the align. The X5 parts are fairly cheap and affordable. THE ONE AND ONLY gripe i have so far is that you can't buy a complete screw kit for the heli direct from Gaui. Though a Stainless Steel screw set is available after market. Once i looked at the size comparison i found here: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=439715 That locked the deal for me. Almost the same size as a 600, much lighter and has a really nice electronics package. For the price, the align 600 is not that appealing to me. It looks a little hard to build and repair too. Kind of flimsy with all those gaps in the CF too. /shug. Check it out in the link. But here is some pictures from the above link:

Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Nov 2011
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
As do i, I linked the thread in the other threads where i have been talking about getting one for a while now. So hopefully some of the people interested in or own a Gaui will come over and join the thread. I too am a little bit back and forth when it comes to deciding. Right until the money is in my hand. Then I figure it out. I really couldn't see any reason to get anything else at the end of the day. 6S over 12S makes the heli much lighter. The heli is not all that heavy in the first place and can accept a 4200 mAh pack. 5 minutes with that should be plenty! You can find the packs for under $80 from some manufacturers too. Even if you buy $130 Hyperion packs. Either way, 6S sure beats 12S any day when your pimping on a budget! So for the same amount of money for batteries for either a X5 or Align 600. I get 2 flights on the X5 vs 1 on the align. The X5 parts are fairly cheap and affordable. THE ONE AND ONLY gripe i have so far is that you can't buy a complete screw kit for the heli direct from Gaui. Though a Stainless Steel screw set is available after market. Once i looked at the size comparison i found here: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=439715 That locked the deal for me. Almost the same size as a 600, much lighter and has a really nice electronics package. For the price, the align 600 is not that appealing to me. It looks a little hard to build and repair too. Kind of flimsy with all those gaps in the CF too. /shug. Check it out in the link. But here is some pictures from the above link:

Looking at the dimensions it's kind of surprising just how big that thing is. At some point helis in pictures just start looking the same size without a reference. The tail rotor diameter is larger than one of my 250's main blades and it masses about 5 times as much.

I really like the Gaui narrow frame designs, it seems like it should have been a no-brainer that the frame size only needs to be bounded by the width of two servos. Don't forget to strap in your batteries tho like in the pics!

Also, since this is your first go at non-walkera FBL systems I'd recommend grabbing a digital pitch gauge and a swash level tool. It'll make setup alot easier. No more of the walkera guess, test, and play with the swash links setup
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:16 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
Looking at the dimensions it's kind of surprising just how big that thing is. At some point helis in pictures just start looking the same size without a reference. The tail rotor diameter is larger than one of my 250's main blades and it masses about 5 times as much.

I really like the Gaui narrow frame designs, it seems like it should have been a no-brainer that the frame size only needs to be bounded by the width of two servos. Don't forget to strap in your batteries tho like in the pics!

Also, since this is your first go at non-walkera FBL systems I'd recommend grabbing a digital pitch gauge and a swash level tool. It'll make setup alot easier. No more of the walkera guess, test, and play with the swash links setup
I agree, but i honestly don't need to test more than once. I usually have my blades zeroed and tracked on the first go. The most i have to do is eye ball it again when the tracking is off and give it one turn on the swash link. That usually gets me perfect. I'm pretty well practiced after all my V450 lock outs. But your absolutely right. The same night i ordered the heli i also ordered a RC logger gauge. Which seemed to be much nicer and easier to calibrate than the Align pitch gauge. Because the box on the RC logger one can be removed to be calibrated. I find the pitch gauge on my phone app is pretty damn accurate too. But just in case i ordered one anyway. (pictures below are links to the vendor i used)

I also grabbed this swash leveler for the Trex 500. The gaui uses a 8mm shaft so this should work fine:

I also ordered the frame strengthener with the battery rails to block the battery from moving up into the motor.

The kit comes with some good Scorpion battery straps too. So it's not going anywhere. They cinch down pretty tight. I used them on my 450 for a while till the plastic ring broke from me pulling to hard.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:24 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,477 Posts
Yup the Scorpion straps are awesome, and while having that battery stop would be nice, of course once you've flown it a time or two, you know to check and set the battery in the right spot. I think it would be new owners who might somehow let the battery get up into contact with the outrunner. That's the one design feature that I'd say is 'bad' on the Gaui, but once you understand the possible danger, it's automatic to avoid it for me.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:33 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
I am starting this thread because i have not found any thread for this heli here at RCgroups. Though HF has a large section devoted to the heli. I just thought that this board could use it's own Gaui X5 FES with microbeast thread. Since i just put one on order that should arrive any day now. It will be my first legit quality Heli and i plan on giving my honest opinions on it's performance. The truth is i can't find anyone saying anything bad about it. So i don't even see a need for a review But here is a place to talk about it. I am moving up from Walkera products like the 4f200, v450 and the v120. They are okay for learning and i have completely overhauled most of them to perform better. But it's time for some quality flight. Plus the high winds here are a pain. I'm sure this heli will handle much better than any of those ever did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd7X6...23DC583C4D2E4C

Key Features:

Newly designed Main Rotor Head and Swash Plate, produces quick control response and best stability.
Kit comes with SCORPION 910KV (1820W) BL Motor / GAUI 100A ESC / 500mm CF Main Blades which
provide the best power efficiency and the best power to weight ratio ratio of all EP helicopters.
New layout for Direct-Drive CCPM servos which results in a precisely control to Swash Plate.
CF main frame combines with integrated CNC servo / motor mounts results in a high rigidity frame
cage to withstand ultimate power output.
Equipped with heavy-duty torque tube driven tail.
Stylish painted FRP canopy.
Overall length: 1000mm (including cabin & canopy).
Main rotor diameter: 1120mm.
Tail rotor diameter: 235mm.
Tail Blade length: 82mm.
Overall height: 343mm.
Overall width: 160mm.
Motor: SCORPION 1820W/910KV BL Motor.
ESC: 100A ESC.
Total weight: 1820g (Equipped with blades and electronics. No battery).
Main rotor blades: 500mm to 530mm.
Flying duration: 4~5minutes with 6S1P (22.2V/4200mAh LiPo).

X5 Upgrades Link

Flybarless E-Stabilizer(FES)

X5 PARTS Link
Congratulations, and welcome to the "GauiGrin" society.

I have had a few 550-600 ships, and I wholeheartedly prefer the X5 over them all.

Good move fella. :-D
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Last edited by V999D02; Nov 22, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:33 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Yup the Scorpion straps are awesome, and while having that battery stop would be nice, of course once you've flown it a time or two, you know to check and set the battery in the right spot. I think it would be new owners who might somehow let the battery get up into contact with the outrunner. That's the one design feature that I'd say is 'bad' on the Gaui, but once you understand the possible danger, it's automatic to avoid it for me.
Yes, but in 3D with vibrations going on there is always a possibility it could slide up. Unlike Walkera, when Gaui realized this might be an issue. Because it's the only design flaw i can find, really. They went ahead and released the item to fix the possible issue, even though, like you said. Someone experienced should realize right away that the outrunner is right there. Even if the straps hold great. It's probably better to be safe than sorry when your talking about $100 batteries that could burst into flames taking your $1000 heli with it
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:39 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
Congratulations, and welcome to the "GauiGrin" society.

I have had a few 550-600 ships, and I wholeheartedly prefer the X5 over them all.

Good move fella. :-D
HA, i was hoping you'd make over here! Yep, finally bit the bullet. I just ordered a cracked canopy from Heli direct. I hope it's worth it. The crack looked small and it was only $25. It's a canomod. This one here:

Pretty nice looking for the price, and if something happens to it i won't be so upset. Here is the crack that i will probably CA together so it does not split further.

These canopies look good. But i've rarely seen a Fusuno canopy crack. I'm positive they are much better quality without ever having held either in my hand. But thats just an assumption based on the data available to me. I will probably get a Fusuno later. But HD carries a full line of canomod canopies for the X5:

http://helidirect.com/gaui-x5-c-1_42..._2017_1669.hdx
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:46 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
That's a steal at that price, and it would've been rude not to buy it. :-D

If there is anything I can slate about the X5 it would be the landing gear. The Trex 500 landing gear and rails are a good fit and only require 2 holes drilling. I have the Trex gear fitted and like it.

The KBDD Extreme 84.5mm tail blades are also a good investment.

You really will love this Bird otherwise I will eat my hat.

I'm made up for you, as you deserve some quality machine after all the crap you've had with your V450.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:51 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,477 Posts
I have bigger skids on mine, too. At first it might look goofy, but it grows on you, and the confidence they inspire is nice.

The one other mod mine does have, and I recommend it heartily, is Booya quick release canopy pins. Easy, secure, and painless:
http://www.rcbooya.com/600-series.html
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:55 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
That's a steal at that price, and it would've been rude not to buy it. :-D

If there is anything I can slate about the X5 it would be the landing gear. The Trex 500 landing gear and rails are a good fit and only require 2 holes drilling. I have the Trex gear fitted and like it.

The KBDD Extreme 84.5mm tail blades are also a good investment.

You really will love this Bird otherwise I will eat my hat.

I'm made up for you, as you deserve some quality machine after all the crap you've had with your V450.
Yeah, but gaui also released a upgrade set of landing skids made out of CNC and CF. They are expensive but i wonder how much more durable they are. I can't imagine the stock skids are any worse than the V450's skids. Which are decent, but not great. Since you mentioned the 500 landing gear, i was thinking maybe the Gorilla gear skids would be best? They are supposedly much more durable than the stock skids on most heli they are made for. Either way, If the skids are all i have to worry about i'll be okay. For right now i couldn't afford a new TX and RX so i'll be trying the 2801-pro with it. I also couldn't get any packs with it. I eventually figured i had to get at least one pack for setup and i got a $50 turnigy 30C pack. That brand is not highly regarded but i used the 3S packs on my 450 and they worked out well. They just degrade quickly.

I never have figured out why all the landing skids always have loops attached to them. Little eyelets for wire management or something? Makes no sense to me.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:57 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Subscribed! Looking forward to the build, lovely looking heli's guys.
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:59 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,477 Posts
Quote:
I never have figured out why all the landing skids always have loops attached to them. Little eyelets for wire management or something? Makes no sense to me.
72 MHz antenna wire