SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2014, 09:04 AM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat View Post
Ah, I see. Strange that 8/10 of my motors, this is hidden. Just 2 of them where it's visible.

Will get back to you on the all-up-weight...which (I always forget) does NOT include battery, correct?
Just to clarify, all-up-weight (AUW) means the weight when the airplane is up in the air. So AUW is with a battery and anything else you might carry, camera, FPV gear, etc.
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2014, 12:23 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,312 Posts
AUW is everything including battery.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 09, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined May 2009
326 Posts
Maidened this morning--awesome! A beautiful flyer. Needed a lot of right trim, so I brought her down and realized I had mounted the wing about 2 cm off-center! (doh!)

AUW (w 610 mAh Rhino 2s) is 288 g
Frame only (no batt) is 252 g.

I flew on the track, so outdoors, and it wasn't terribly slow....we shall see how it does in the gym once it is available (there are about 300 kids taking exams in there now....love the thought of giving them a fly-by in the middle of their chemistry exam!).

Handled beautifully. As promised, kept its nose on the horizon and self-righting tendency was rock-solid. Launching was no problem, just followed the instructions and it climbed right out. Even had a student land it! Thanks, Lee--you've got a great plane here. Think we'll have to order up some Albatross for a bit of FPV action.
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Old Dec 11, 2014, 04:54 AM
Joined Jun 2014
26 Posts
Just took mine out for a flight and is really easy to fly and to correct any bad maneuvers.

But... annoyingly the 2812 grub screws came loose, I tightened them and mid way through the next battery the wiggled loose again spun up the engine off the mounting and broke two of the wires coming out of the wingdings...

I tightened them to a point where it felt like I would strip the hex if I went any further...

So annoying as the motor on my assasin did the same thing.

Booo.

Is it possible to re solder the little coated copper wires?
rhyso is offline Find More Posts by rhyso
Old Dec 11, 2014, 06:10 AM
Joined Jun 2014
26 Posts
Heck, I just order 3 more of them and some 3mm hex bolts. will use locktite from now on...

Upon inspection my assasin motor luckily broke the wires at the end where the connectors were and not in the wingdings themselves...

I reckon I would liked to have the aileron version of this plane as the manoevers seem limited and it is in fact very easy to fly.
rhyso is offline Find More Posts by rhyso
Old Dec 11, 2014, 01:21 PM
United States, UT, Vernal
Joined Nov 2014
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyso View Post
Just took mine out for a flight and is really easy to fly and to correct any bad maneuvers.

But... annoyingly the 2812 grub screws came loose, I tightened them and mid way through the next battery the wiggled loose again spun up the engine off the mounting and broke two of the wires coming out of the wingdings...

I tightened them to a point where it felt like I would strip the hex if I went any further...

So annoying as the motor on my assasin did the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyso View Post
Heck, I just order 3 more of them and some 3mm hex bolts. will use locktite from now on....
X2. Blue Loctite can be used on this application. It's frequently used on all RC models. In fact, it was used on the set screws that are on the motor of my Apprentice. Although they can be a bugger to remove, a bit of carefully placed heat, aircraft stripper, or Loctite remover will immensely increase the success of the removal of a screw.
Robert4613 is offline Find More Posts by Robert4613
Old Dec 11, 2014, 01:47 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,312 Posts
I replace the set screws with 3mm hex head bolts. I use loctite on the threads.

Make sure you don't over-tighten or you will break the bearing and let all the little rolley things out or bind up the motor.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM
Joined Jan 2008
8 Posts
Anyone fitted landing gear in pelican or albatross? I have bixler landing gear and wondering at what measurements on the fuselage would work.
sensorboy is offline Find More Posts by sensorboy
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
I call it 'landing'...
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Jan 2014
67 Posts
This was discussed a few times in this thread. Having said that it adds superfluous weight it adds drag too. Somewhere in Lee's vids I saw one single Storm Chaser with undercarriage.
Conclusion: Just because its possible doesn't mean you should do it.

In other words: we want pictures !!!
Plattenwerk is offline Find More Posts by Plattenwerk