HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2013, 07:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Del builder free flight plans

Hi,

We go this time to the January 1984 edition of MODEL BUILDER in search of Free Flight plans.

The cover shows two colour coordinated models. The first is KAREN. Miss Costa Mesa California.
The other one? Oh that is ELOY MAREZ’’s CAP 20.

One plane to pass along from this issue and it’s another of the great WALT MOONEY peanut plan.

It’s a model of a plane that never actually existed in real life but only as the aircraft of a villainous cartoon strip character, Mordecai Murphy, published in the 1930’s AIR TRALES magazine.

The name of his plane was the DART and it looks very streamlined and deadly.

Walt said in the construction article that it is good for over 45 secs out doors and your told an easy way of making your own three bladed prop. Plan is full size.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Last edited by algy2; Sep 11, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2013, 03:20 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Model builder free flight plans

Hi,
Staying in the 1980s and the August 1983 issue of MODEL BUILDER.

The cover shows BILL YOUNG holding his scale Northrop N9M-A flying wing. Model took two and a half years of research model design work and testing.

First free flight plan was the MH 1521 Broussard built by a small French company.

The PEANUT version is the work of STEVE GARDNER as a fun flyer. It is an attractive looking model with it’s twin fins. Steve’s construction article has all the information. Unfortunately the “Blue Print” plan was printed across two separate pages making it hard to line up. I scanned as printed

Finally a stand alone full size plan that was printed in the Indoor section by Ken Johnson. It’s a nice looking 1921 Waterman Gosling.

Yes it’s a tiny model, a Grapenut and the covering is Condenser Paper.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Sep 08, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2013, 06:12 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi.
We go to the JULY 1986 issue of MODEL BUILDER.

The cover features three TONY HUBER built Formula One Racers with model Karen in the back ground holding one of them.

Firstly to the full size centre fold plan. This is for DON TYPOND’S Bostonian the Boston Beancraft Banana.

It’s an attractive looking model with it’s V tail and the rudder under that.

Construction is mostly 1/16the square and your advised to pack on the turns and have fun.

Finally to the GOLDEN AGE and the MEGOW SPITFIRE plan. It’s a big model as well with a wingspan of either 50 or 60 inches. I cannot make out the print.My guess would be 50 inches.

Forward rear rubber peg position should help balance problems.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Sep 09, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2013, 06:58 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
706 Posts
You're a global treasure Algy,

Thanks for posting all of the plans that you have!

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:56 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,

This time it is the April 1984 MODEL BUILDER.

Fine cover painting is by BOB BENJAMIN showing a standard 65 HP AERONCA 7AC CHAMP which Bob first flew when aged just 16.

The first free flight plan is for EARL STAHL’S HI-CLIMBER.

It has been posted before but only as separate PDF files which had to be joined together. This fine ink drawing by AL PATTERSON is in one piece and with a wing span of 30 inches easy to blow up to the correct size.

Earl Stahl is best known for his many great scale rubber designs still very much with us today but this was published in Flying Aces magazine in August 1939 before he started those.

Next is the free full size centre fold peanut and back again to WALT MOONEY and the HONEY BEE.

Walt said he along with a small group of people including his wife designed and built the real Honey Bee in 1952. This was flown by over 200 pilots during it’s lifetime.

The model calls for 1/20th wood to keep the weight down and has exact scale out lines including no dihedral. It flies well.

Cheers

Algy
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:05 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,

We go to the September 1981 issue of MODEL BUILDER.

The cover shows DEAN WANN and his scale KRIER KRAFT. Has Kraft radio and an O.S. 90 engine. Sitting on the jetty is Eleanor with husband GEORGE WILSON‘S Sig J-3 Cub. Cape Cod provides the background.

First free flight plan is a very nice model indeed HENRY STRUCK’S BOOMER BUS.

BOOMER BUS dating from the 1940’s is a classic with a pod and boom fuselage and gracefully curved wings. Though if you want they can be built straight without affecting performance but it would not look half as nice in the air.

All the details of the 54 inch wingspan models are on the plan and Bill Northrop provides a full building article

To the full size centre Peanut plan. This time it’s by KEITH LAZERSON and his BOEING MONOMAIL. The full size aircraft first appeared in the 1930s and was an all metal cargo and mail plane.

The plan was printed on two pages but very easy to print out and join together. Lightweight construction and ideal proportions for long flights.

Finally to a very nice scale rubber model and the STINSON VOYAGER 108-3. This is the work of A.P. WILSON and just like the real aircraft the model is a winner.

Wingspan is 34 inches and the plan and very detailed construction article has all the information you need.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Sep 11, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 06:17 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,

We go this time to the April 1988 edition of MODEL BUILDER.

The cover features a ROBERT BENJAMIN painting of Jimmy Doolittle flying his Laird DW 500 Super Solution biplane to win the inaugural Bendix Trophy unlimited cross country race in 1931.

The first free flight plan comes from John Pond’s Plug Sparks section and is the Vintage Chet Lanzo design from 1936 the DUPLEX. This was a record winner from that era. Simple to build with a top performance.

To the full size plan for SKY BUNNY R.O.G. and a very complete building article.

This was the start of a series aimed at the youngsters or beginner aeromodeller by BILL WARNER.

Also simple to build it flies slow and steady and would be a lot of fun to make for any one. Ideal for a not very serious club competition event.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Sep 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:49 AM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Thanks for that issue, algy.
If anybody finds the Sky Bunny interesting, please build one. I have had 3 and all flew great. It's not a hard build and you can use a plastic prop for nice performance. I think this is an underrated model.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
Ive had a Sky bunny kit in my to do closet for a while now, i have watched some you tube vids of them in flight and they seem to fly very well.
larryg is offline Find More Posts by larryg
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:31 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Builder free flight plans

Hi,
This time we go to the JULY 1984 MODEL BUILDER.

Two model once again grace the cover a big one and a small one.

The big one is 1/10th scale Howard Hughes XF-11 of ten feet eight inches wingspan. Itís the work of EUGENE MARTIN.

The smaller model is his wife Beverly.

The first free flight plan is something a little bit unusual, an indoor tow-line glider IN-TOW.

The work of KEN JOHNSON and it was found in his INDOOR section.

Next to a rather special PEANUT model by Frenchman ROGER AIME.

Itís the MORANE SAILNIER ESPERVIER (SPARROW HAWK) with the original aircraft dating from the 1950s and only two being built. The French government was a bit short of cash at the time.

Itís a lovely lightweight plan with lots of scale detail. Built as set out it should give a good duration..

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and part two on the DOUGLAS DC-1.

Cheers

Algy
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:02 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by algy2 View Post
Hi,
Staying in the 1980s and the August 1983 issue of MODEL BUILDER.

The cover shows BILL YOUNG holding his scale Northrop N9M-A flying wing. Model took two and a half years of research model design work and testing.

Cheers

Algy
That's very interesting.
It's been Years since I had correspondence with Bill Young.
Is it possible to access a PDF of his Northrop article?
thank you
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:35 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts

Hi,
Going to the October 1985 issue of MODEL BUILDER with the cover having a BOB BENJAMIN painting of the last remaining Stinson “W” from 1931.

The first free flight plan was once again found in John Pond’s Plug Sparks section.

It was published in December 1941 AIR TRAILS and is RONNIE ALBERT’S magnificent 30 inch span CURTIS 0-52.

Bill Northrop gives a description of the model and hints on building.

A.A. LIDBERG provides the next plan the BEECH STAGERWING.

This is a NOCAL SALE design for the fans of biplanes. Plan was printed on two seperate pages but easy to print out full size and join up.

Construction is simple and a 6 or 7 inch plastic prop plus rubber will have it in the air.

Cheers

Algy
Last edited by algy2; Sep 14, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 08:53 PM
Boo
Joined Dec 2004
162 Posts
Request for Northern Line plan

Hi,

I'd just like to echo thanks to Algy for the huge efforts he's made and also to make a request for the plan for the A2 glider "Northern Line" that was published in (April ? May?) 2003.

Also, if anyone has them, there were several series of articles on circle tow hooks in Aeromodeller (June ? '76?) and I'd be really interested to see them or any similar elsewhere.

Thanks,

Boo
Boo is offline Find More Posts by Boo
Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:02 PM
Crazy, not stupid
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
Thank you guys, I found three plans I was really looking for, especially the Stinson Voyager and P-51B. I'm also planning on an (wire cut) Komm Bat for my 1m (40") wing challange.

If anyone wants to make me certainly the happiest man in this thread I would also love the Stinson Reliant SR-10 plans if they are available. Scale doesn't matter, size doesn't matter. High in my top-5 of prettiest plane ever!
sadkingbilly is offline Find More Posts by sadkingbilly
Old Sep 15, 2013, 08:41 PM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
266 Posts
The Stinson SR 10 is on hip pocket aeronautics courtesy of "Bell Models" but I know some have difficulty logging in to the plan section so here is the copy I downloaded.
Enjoy and post a plan here at some time
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart