HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:28 PM
Genaro SolÚ
Genaro SolÚ's Avatar
Caracas, Venezuela
Joined Nov 2007
96 Posts
Discussion
Fast and thermic

I fly in a slope and want a second glider good enough for thermaling, but also fast enough in mid-strong winds.

It can't be more than 200 US$...

Any sugestions?.

Gerry
Genaro SolÚ is offline Find More Posts by Genaro SolÚ
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:54 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
Tell us how fast your idea of "mid-strong" winds are. I've flown in maybe 30 to 35 kph winds, slope soaring with a heavily ballasted Bridi Tercel!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460092

Not that I'd recommend a Tercel as a thermal glider.

Are you willing to build this glider, or does it have to be an ARF?
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:42 AM
Genaro SolÚ
Genaro SolÚ's Avatar
Caracas, Venezuela
Joined Nov 2007
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Tell us how fast your idea of "mid-strong" winds are. I've flown in maybe 30 to 35 kph winds, slope soaring with a heavily ballasted Bridi Tercel!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460092

Not that I'd recommend a Tercel as a thermal glider.

Are you willing to build this glider, or does it have to be an ARF?
I mean winds ranging from 7 mph to 30 mph. What I want is a plane that can do thermaling with mid wind, but very fast with strong wind.

I can build it, but I prefer an ARF.

Gerry,
Genaro SolÚ is offline Find More Posts by Genaro SolÚ
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 04:15 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Fly Wheel's Avatar
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Once it's in the air there is no wind as the plane is concerned because it will be moving along with it. As for thirty MPH, are you thinking about sloping the thing? Because you're not going to have much time to keep a thermaler it in view before it's carried too far downwind. You might go for a slope glider instead.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:34 PM
Genaro SolÚ
Genaro SolÚ's Avatar
Caracas, Venezuela
Joined Nov 2007
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Once it's in the air there is no wind as the plane is concerned because it will be moving along with it. As for thirty MPH, are you thinking about sloping the thing? Because you're not going to have much time to keep a thermaler it in view before it's carried too far downwind. You might go for a slope glider instead.
What I want is a fast slope glider (not por racing or pylon, just faster than my Easy Glider), but able to do thermaling.

Gerry
Genaro SolÚ is offline Find More Posts by Genaro SolÚ
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2011, 03:26 PM
Genaro SolÚ
Genaro SolÚ's Avatar
Caracas, Venezuela
Joined Nov 2007
96 Posts
After studying several gliders at the Club, I chose the Fun One. It's excellent in both mild and strong wings. Very fast and very good at thermals.

Gerry
Genaro SolÚ is offline Find More Posts by Genaro SolÚ
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:17 PM
more casual than stylish....
slopemeno's Avatar
Joined Jan 2003
6,985 Posts
The CR Fun One is a great flier. Build it light, focus on saving weight in the tail, and build a 8-16 ounce ballast block for it for the days when the wind is really blowing.

I flew the wheels off of mine, and it flew great on light days, heavy days, and everywhere I took it.

I found some "decalage correction" improved the performance. I shimmed the training edge of the wing up about .1", which allowed me to reduce the amount of nose weight I was carrying, and reduce the elevator trim to zero.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:46 AM
Genaro SolÚ
Genaro SolÚ's Avatar
Caracas, Venezuela
Joined Nov 2007
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
The CR Fun One is a great flier. Build it light, focus on saving weight in the tail, and build a 8-16 ounce ballast block for it for the days when the wind is really blowing.

I flew the wheels off of mine, and it flew great on light days, heavy days, and everywhere I took it.

I found some "decalage correction" improved the performance. I shimmed the training edge of the wing up about .1", which allowed me to reduce the amount of nose weight I was carrying, and reduce the elevator trim to zero.
Thanks for the tips. I maidened it yesterday. Awesome plane! It made my Easy Glider Pro look boring...
Genaro SolÚ is offline Find More Posts by Genaro SolÚ
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Thermic Trooper w/ CS Mills .035 mlbco Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 18 Jan 14, 2013 10:26 AM
Discussion best SAL thermic wing? hunterdude Flying Wings 1 Jul 20, 2011 06:30 PM
Data Modell Studio Thermic V-Tail longeze28 The Builders Workshop 1 Jun 26, 2011 12:22 PM
Wanted Thermic 50x or thermic 100 pod plan zackesch Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 15, 2008 11:12 AM