HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2010, 03:55 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Discussion
Maiden flight of P-40

OK, maiden flight video. My son in law was a no show so I had to ask my wife Be prepared for the worst video ever shot. At least you can sort of see the take off and landing, sort of. She was more worried about bugs than anything else....

Photos of my flying location show the gravel strip. Very difficult to take off and land on with a new plane so I opted to go to the end of the field. Anyway you can see that it has plenty of power and the landing was uneventful. Two more good flights and I'll put the decals on it.

P 40 Maiden Flight 004 (3 min 45 sec)
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:51 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,703 Posts
Hi John,

Congratulations for your nice maiden ! Though it's not a good enough video but I could tell how it flew. Your wife still helped you a lot. Thanks

What a perfect landing ! And it flew like a jet P-40, wasn't it ?
I'll be waiting for the better video.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:40 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Thanks Chen. I will have a better video this weekend, my son in law promised to bring his camera and get a good video. You can tell that the sun was directly in front of me so we will try to fly later in the day when the sun has moved to the other side of the park.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:53 PM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Gravel runway Geez, and I thought lumpy grass could be a problem.

Great take off and landing.

Congrats on your maiden flight!!

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:16 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
112 Posts
Congratulations for the maiden
...a new P-40 in the sky...very nice.

greetings
chris03 is offline Find More Posts by chris03
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:15 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris03 View Post
Congratulations for the maiden
...a new P-40 in the sky...very nice.

greetings
Thank you Chris. It's been very windy here for the last week, almost had to postpone the maiden flight but the winds dropped to 5 to 10 MPH so I went ahead with it. Luckily I only needed one click of aileron trim and a couple of clicks of rudder and elevator trim and it flew like a dream even in the wind.

I'll get some better video this weekend. Be shure to check out my Zero on the Zero build thread. I just finished an upgrade of my Corsair and I'll be sure to post some video of it also..

John.

P.S. You still paint better than I do.