New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:52 PM
Find More Posts by dmtuska_co
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Oct 2014
99 Posts
Discussion
Best balsa kit to start with?

Hello everyone ive been flying for a while but have never made a balsa kit. I want to build the Top Flite 84.5" P-51 Mustang. Now i know i need to work up to it but where do i start a buddy told me to build a 60" warbird kit to start. But, at the same time ive been told otherwise in your opition what should i start with.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
dmtuska_co is offline Find More Posts by dmtuska_co
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by AA5BY
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,828 Posts
Perhaps among the inputs are concerns that you don't know yet whether you will enjoy building or not and a difficult build might break the spirit before you find the real answer. For that reason, I'd suggest staying clear of hard builds until you know your passions will see you through those difficult builds.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
Old Dec 07, 2014, 09:10 PM
Joined Oct 2014
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY View Post
Perhaps among the inputs are concerns that you don't know yet whether you will enjoy building or not and a difficult build might break the spirit before you find the real answer. For that reason, I'd suggest staying clear of hard builds until you know your passions will see you through those difficult builds.

Valid point
Old Dec 07, 2014, 09:15 PM
Find More Posts by Jason G
Flying the Wings Off It!
United States, AZ, Golden Valley
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
I'm working on a sig kadet senior kit. Although it's my first kit I am feeling pretty good about the progress and I'm making a few mods to it just to make it my own. For a first kit I think it's a pretty good balance of being easy enough for a beginner while still teaching a little more traditional type of construction than some of the ply sided fuse type kits. If you want something a little sportier maybe one of the 4 stars or one of the goldberg tigers would be better. Here's some pics of mine just don't mind the mess!
Jason G is offline Find More Posts by Jason G
Old Dec 07, 2014, 09:29 PM
Joined Oct 2014
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason G View Post
I'm working on a sig kadet senior kit. Although it's my first kit I am feeling pretty good about the progress and I'm making a few mods to it just to make it my own. For a first kit I think it's a pretty good balance of being easy enough for a beginner while still teaching a little more traditional type of construction than some of the ply sided fuse type kits. If you want something a little sportier maybe one of the 4 stars or one of the goldberg tigers would be better. Here's some pics of mine just don't mind the mess!
Great looking build. And i could never mind a mess now my fiance might when i start a kit ........... yea
Old Dec 07, 2014, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,446 Posts
Sig, Carl Goldberg, GreatPlanes, TopFlite, Midwest, and many more are great kits... each manufacturer shares many techniques, while each has their own style and tech stuff in the manual.

A TopFlite Giant P-51 is a pretty big undertaking for a first kit for anybody.... but so is a 60" warbird... with the building of any of these types of kits there are many options and accessories to ponder, and decisions to make along the way... not to mention the money that can be tied up in one... A Giant P-51 can easily run well over a thousand bucks, and take a hundred hours to build, and thats if you have experience. The landing gear options alone can be several hundred bucks.. doesn't have to be, but I'm just sayin....

GreatPlanes, TopFlite, and I think even Midwest(not sure though on it though).. have a few nice smaller warbirds.... stuff within the 60" category... with the GreatPlanes version being more entry level, and the TopFlite being closer to a scale model....

To get your feet wet though, as someone stated, get a Sig Four-Star(54 or 64 I think).. or a Tiger 2.... this is if you have some low-wing experience.... if you need a trainer then a Kadet, or an Eagle 2 work very well for trainers... not only in the learning to fly area.... but these are great trainers in the building area too... excellent first time kits...

FYI also... the bigger the plane.. the bigger the mess... smaller planes and stuff are much easier to build/store/transport/hide(did I say that??)... Good luck.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 07, 2014, 09:57 PM
Joined Oct 2014
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Sig, Carl Goldberg, GreatPlanes, TopFlite, Midwest, and many more are great kits... each manufacturer shares many techniques, while each has their own style and tech stuff in the manual.

A TopFlite Giant P-51 is a pretty big undertaking for a first kit for anybody.... but so is a 60" warbird... with the building of any of these types of kits there are many options and accessories to ponder, and decisions to make along the way... not to mention the money that can be tied up in one... A Giant P-51 can easily run well over a thousand bucks, and take a hundred hours to build, and thats if you have experience. The landing gear options alone can be several hundred bucks.. doesn't have to be, but I'm just sayin....

GreatPlanes, TopFlite, and I think even Midwest(not sure though on it though).. have a few nice smaller warbirds.... stuff within the 60" category... with the GreatPlanes version being more entry level, and the TopFlite being closer to a scale model....

To get your feet wet though, as someone stated, get a Sig Four-Star(54 or 64 I think).. or a Tiger 2.... this is if you have some low-wing experience.... if you need a trainer then a Kadet, or an Eagle 2 work very well for trainers... not only in the learning to fly area.... but these are great trainers in the building area too... excellent first time kits...

FYI also... the bigger the plane.. the bigger the mess... smaller planes and stuff are much easier to build/store/transport/hide(did I say that??)... Good luck.
Thank you very much i understand the costs and time just was wondering the ideas you had and haha i like that
Old Dec 08, 2014, 07:20 AM
Find More Posts by whiskykid
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,896 Posts
here's a good lil plane too get ya started! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ571&P=0

it is more of a sport model then "WARBIRD" so will be a bit easier too build, yet still getting your feet wet so too speak!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
Old Dec 08, 2014, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by Black_heart
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
968 Posts
I well let you know I have 3 builds under my belt
original ugly stick
a FU Corsair
and a 40 size P-51
I am working on a GS TF P-51 rite now
I am here to tell you this thing is NO JOKE........
I would say get at least one easier build under you before you take on such a big build.
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Dec 08, 2014, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by DGrant
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
here's a good lil plane too get ya started! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ571&P=0

it is more of a sport model then "WARBIRD" so will be a bit easier too build, yet still getting your feet wet so too speak!
Perfect!.. very cool recomendation.

and yeah... Black hearts example show the TF Giant 51 is a "BIG GUN"... its a monster.... which is a very cool thing too.. but might/could be overwhelming for a first plane.

That is a nice plane there Black heart... keep up the nice work...
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 08, 2014, 03:08 PM
Joined Oct 2014
99 Posts
So maybe a trainer and the p-51 that whiskykid suggested? I understand i need to get my feet wet and thats what i want to do
Old Dec 08, 2014, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
6,422 Posts
Yea, except, if you have been flying, then you do not need a trainer, you need a "sport" plane

Circles us back to the Four Stars.
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Dec 08, 2014, 05:40 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,896 Posts
yup what Dad Roman said, you don't need a nitro trainer!

if you can handle a foamy with ailerons, then go with the GP Mustang, sig four star! or Tiger!

all good first time balsa kits! I can vouch for the Great Planes and the Sig kits, both are a like a lesson in building RC kits!
only Goldberg kit I have built was the Super Chipmunk( two of those ) great kits though!
Old Dec 08, 2014, 06:03 PM
Joined Oct 2014
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
yup what Dad Roman said, you don't need a nitro trainer!

if you can handle a foamy with ailerons, then go with the GP Mustang, sig four star! or Tiger!

all good first time balsa kits! I can vouch for the Great Planes and the Sig kits, both are a like a lesson in building RC kits!
only Goldberg kit I have built was the Super Chipmunk( two of those ) great kits though!
haha i know i dont need a trainer but my fiance is saying shed like to try and my alpha 40 i bought second hand so its a bit beat up
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:10 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
3,896 Posts
AH! the picture gets a lil clearer!

the wifey want's a plane! in that case you want a SIG Kadet Lt 25! laser cut kit, a how too in building RC!
quick build and a nice looking plane!