HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2014, 07:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Contest
The May, everyone's invited, soaring contest.

THE MAY BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC AND HAND LAUNCHED GLIDERS
THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING
RULES AND INFO:
Contest will run from 12:01 am May 1st to 11:59 PM May 31st Eastern US time.
The contest is for ALL electric or hand launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills.
The contest is open to all gliders, e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.
In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into three classifications, 2-meter and under E Gliders, Open class E Gliders and Hand Launch Gliders.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor.
THE PLANES:
* Any electric motor system or unpowered hand launch glider. (No winches or Hi-Starts).
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction
BIG SKY - ELECTRIC THERMAL SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. I have multiple timers on my radio so I can do this with my radio alone. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - HAND LAUNCH THERMAL SOARING
1) Soaring time starts at release of the plane.
2) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be hand catch or on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.
Report Format:
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.
I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 10 Thermal (2 meter class) top 10 Thermal (Open class)and top ten Slope reports. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.
THREAD CONTENT -
While it's preferred that posts are about contest business; brief comments about items of common interest are welcome. This includes but is not limited to: new planes, safety warnings, tales of remarkable flights that might not be official entries, humorous incidents, well wishes for those facing health issues, the bloody weather, and messages of congratulation or conciliation. Short of your personal version of War and Peace all comments are welcome unless I receive multiple complaints.

Contest Records:

2 Meter Class:
Andy Grose (dee-grose)
Glider name:Radian
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight:April 19, 2012 11:20am
Duration of flight:1:38:04 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 3028ft AGL

Open Class:
MrE / Larry
Sailplane: Bubble Dancer
Date and Time of flight: 13 October 2013 2:30PM
Duration of flight: 1 hr 52 minutes 37 seconds
Weather: Mostly clear, +55F, light variable winds

Hand Launch:
nigel Sheffield
glider blaster dlg
thermal
1/3/2014
time 10:24am
duration 54:26
Yorkshire UK

Slope:
744Drv
Sailplane: Radian Pro 2m
Discipline: Slope
Date time of launch: 26 Nov 12:57
Place: Lookout Hill overlooking Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
Conditions: E 5-10kts
Duration: 3 hrs 2 mins
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2014, 07:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Monthly standings.

2 Meter:

nigel Sheffield
glider phoenix 2000
Thermal
21/05/2014
time 2:31pm
duration 62:49 after 25 secs power deducted.

peterlngh
Glider: Specter 1800
Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 26-5-14 @1:00PM
Duration of flight: 51minutes after 15 second powered climb
75 degrees, NE wind at 5mph or less, just a few big puffy cumulus clouds.

p1ayaone
Plane: Radian (2m)
Type: Thermal
Duration: 42:08 after 26-sec motor run.
Date: May 19, 2014 around 11am.

Blunight
2 meter Radian
Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 5/4/2014 3:40 p.m.
Duration of flight: 26:27 (after 30 second motor run deducted)
Altitude: 2144 ft.
Weather: Sunny, 58 degrees. Wind: N, 5 mph

Open class:

MrE / Larry
Date and Time of flight: 11 May 2014 1:30PM
Duration of flight: 1 hr 14 minutes 9 seconds
Weather: partly sunny, +58F, 3-5 mph winds

Piper J3
E-Pulsar 3.2 REF
19 May 2014 2:33 PM
Duration of flight: 41.00 minutes minus 26 seconds motor run
Launch height: ~ 1000’
Max height: 3580’ AGL
Weather: Clear, +70F, light variable winds

320 Pilot
E-Pulsar 3.2 REF
21 May 2014 4:30 PM
Duration of flight: 15 min . 25 seconds minus 16 seconds motor run
Max height: 1500’ AGL

Hand Launch:

nigel Sheffield
glider blaster dlg
Thermal
13/05/2014
time 12:11am
duration 43:25
Last edited by peterlngh; May 27, 2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old May 01, 2014, 11:00 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
1,948 Posts
I need to get out and fly!!
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old May 04, 2014, 08:09 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,450 Posts
Glad I got those flights in yesterday, back to rubbish winds today, tried the phoenix this morn winds coming over houses got 7 min after 90 secs motor run in 3 climb outs, hopeless, landing was easy though with crow braking.
Winds are predicted to only get worse for the 7 days at least so time to do a bit programming and make some more battery packs up from the loose a123 cells I have in a draw, because you can never have too many batteries!

Peter that dlg seems like a top sky 1 with disser and kevlar hmmmmmmmm, I would wait and see what reviews are like.
Mark has sold the libelle on eBay as it just was not cutting it as a dlg after having the blaster, I think the elf was better at that price point and size, with the top sky 1 still being the best entry level dlg.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old May 04, 2014, 11:50 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Dang! Lovely flying weather on the frozen tundra so I took out the stunter and figured I would take the glider out after it warms up a bit. So? My charger bit the dust. Oh well. I guess that this month's fun money will go to a charger instead of new batteries. In fact; I think I will also get a basic charger, like those that come with RTF packages, so I can at least slow charge a pack or two if the new charger craps out on me too.
Old May 04, 2014, 09:21 PM
Chess club geek with wings
Brainerd, MN
Joined Aug 2008
1,047 Posts
Blunight
2 meter Radian
Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 5/4/2014 3:40 p.m.
Duration of flight: 26:27 (after 30 second motor run deducted)
Altitude: 2144 ft.
Weather: Sunny, 58 degrees. Wind: N, 5 mph

This was my first trip to the club field for the season, wow what a day. I spent most of it flying my Kaos and Viper but when it was time to relax the thermals were still strong!
Trent
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old May 05, 2014, 08:21 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,450 Posts
Over 2000ft! Wow must have been small, 1500ft was getting silly small and blurry for my eyes.

Well managed to get out and fly this morn but was all sink and turb, 15 to 22 min flights with phoenix full battery 670mah 4 cell,, 22 and 27 mins with the moa full battery 1650mah 3 cell.
The minimoa was easier to fly tight thermals but got blown around a lot more and landing was very dicey, the phoenix landed rock steady, I must weigh them because the phoenix feels LOT heavier.
Old May 05, 2014, 04:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Woo-hoo! I was able to borrow a charger so I won't be grounded until the new one arrives. It's a bit late to search for thermals so I'll just take out the Yak this evening but tomorrow I'm flying the glider no matter how windy it is!

I'm glad to see a fellow Minnowsnowtan on the board, Blunight. Hopefully we are out of the cold/rain/snow/wind pattern for a while. Going more than a week or so without flying something has a negative effect on my general disposition.
Old May 05, 2014, 08:21 PM
Chess club geek with wings
Brainerd, MN
Joined Aug 2008
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
I'm glad to see a fellow Minnowsnowtan on the board, Blunight. Hopefully we are out of the cold/rain/snow/wind pattern for a while. Going more than a week or so without flying something has a negative effect on my general disposition.
I feel the same - the sim gets a bit tiresome after 6 months.

By the way, just wanted to say "thanks" for all the work you do keeping this contest alive from month to month!
Trent
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old May 05, 2014, 09:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
You are more than welcome, Trent. I find sims to be a bit depressing after a month or two.

Maintaining the contest isn't really "work" but, once in a while, life gets in the way and it's hard to maintain much interest when I can't get out and fly myself. Still; there is a certain magic that we in the northlands enjoy when spring finally arrives. These days are precious. I lived in San Diego for several years and, frankly, it made me a bit lazy. I would put off getting out on marginal days because I knew that things would get better in a day or so. When it might be months before the next window i think I get much more enjoyment out of those winter days when it gets above freezing.

Cheers!
Old May 06, 2014, 02:36 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,450 Posts
10 mins on the sim is enough for me these days, its just not the same at all.
Weather tricked me again this morn, woke 6:30 for a wee noticed no wind, 5 mins later I was down in field with phoenix 2000, the second I plugged in the battery winds started howling from over the houses!
Flew 2 full batteries got 10 mins each grrrrrrr.
Still was good practice and I tried out some full wing flap positions to see how it goes, found that reflex works well on this glider in turbulence and it really needs some differential and crow braking is a godsend but I need to program it on the throttle to have better control.

I think I will put the motor on a slider or even a switch and leave throttle stick for control of wing mixing but have the motor on set to level the wing out.......maybe.
Old May 06, 2014, 11:40 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,450 Posts
I think I just. Broke my record for the shortest powered glider flight on a full battery, 9 mins with phoenix! My spitfire used to stay up for 12 mins on one cell less.
Puffy clouds passing over head and seemed not too windy at around 4:20pm so ii went down to test my differential and all wing ailerons and crow on the slider rather then just on a switch.
With a bit of adjustment it all seemed better but sooooo much sink everywhere and gusty winds made it hard to fine tune anything. I hope weather gets better soon so I can really get going tuning this thing.
I think it needs some flap to elev mixing as it seems to lose a lot in the turns being heavy.
I figured out now how to put differential adjustment on a pot so next time out I can fiddle with it in the air. Getting used to programming my taranis more anyways even if I can't catch thermal.

I wonder if any glider type would work in my flying area in westerly winds, I though this one might stand a chance but its not feeling like it at the moment.
Probably need something warm liner like to really be efficient at speed to cut through all the bad stuff and DS the patches of lift that must be there somewhere.
Old May 11, 2014, 04:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Woo-hoo! I got two 20 minute+ flights with the Specter but I had to fly from the baseball diamond so I needed to use the prop as a brake on landing. I also flew my Katana Mini for the first time since last fall. It performs beautifully but it sure isn't as relaxing as the gliders or the foam Yak!
Old May 11, 2014, 05:52 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
1,948 Posts
My wife had to work today, so that set me free for a while on a day when I normally wouldn't even think of flying Turned out to be a very nice day too! Could have stayed up longer but had to leave to start mom's day prep

Open Class:
MrE / Larry
Date and Time of flight: 11 May 2014 1:30PM
Duration of flight: 1 hr 14 minutes 9 seconds
Weather: partly sunny, +58F, 3-5 mph winds

MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old May 11, 2014, 06:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,396 Posts
Awesome flight, Larry.

I can see that I'm going to have to get a bigger floater if i want to be competitive.