Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Jan 2011
97 Posts
Discussion
Ecureuil AS355N

Just a screen shot of what I'm currently working on. I'm working on designing a scale fuse for my Blade 4003d. This is just a couple hours worth of work/tweaking. I should have the foreward parts of the cabin done in the next couple of hours. Once I have a surface model built I will start extruding formers to build up the fuse out of Balsa/ply with. Plan is to build it like a plane, stringers on former, with thin sheeting in between. Sand to final shape, maybe a light layer of glass. At that point I will work on test fitting to the helicopter chassis, once fitted it will get disassembled and painted. Not sure of a time table on this project just something I'm working on in my spare time.

I'll also be working on doing the 22" J3 cub I've been working on in a 2d package, get it into the 3d package and refine the design there.
SRWitt is offline Find More Posts by SRWitt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:03 PM
Joined Jan 2011
97 Posts
I didn't get much further on this after working all night since posting. Its very hard to get the contours on the front end to look "right". Very hard to get smooth transitions working from a 3view. I've got pictures of another model I was working on a couple years ago before a computer crash wiped out the work, and the front end looks great. I'm trying to reference those pictures to see what I did/may have done differently, I'm getting close, more tweaking, viewing, retweaking, back and forth until I can get it to look right with the windows cut out of it. I actually rebuilt the model from the very beginning after posting the above pictures, realigned the separate views, scaled them to eachother better etc....

Hopefully over the weekend the solution hits me. I may have to start on a plane until my skills are back up to snuff. Much simpler surfaces to work with.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Jan 2011
97 Posts
Well it may not be exact to the 3 view, but who says thats "scale". I've got the main body of the fuse looking pretty good, nice transitions, no real edges to it, just a nice surface. Time to start the easy part of adding the smaller details, the rest of the windows, the engine cowling and tail rotor drive shaft tunnel/gear box. Total time so far 5-6 hours just to get it to this point. The detailing goes pretty quickly, throw in some lines to approximate the shapes, extrude/trim my surfaces and tweak the line drawings until they look right. No real compound curves in the details so that speeds things up tremendously.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
97 Posts
Some more progress tonight.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:35 AM
Joined Jan 2011
97 Posts
Final progress for the night.

Now to take measurements off the Blade 400 mechanics, then scale this model to fit the main shaft to tail rotor shaft distance. After thats done, I have to model the 400's frame as best as I can without dissassembling it (its flying pretty solidly right now, don't wanna mess that up) to start working on the fuselage formers and how the mechanics will mount the fuse.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:56 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
778 Posts
Looking real nice, what software are you using?
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:59 AM
Joined Jan 2011
97 Posts
Solidworks 2011
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:04 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
778 Posts
That is what I figured, I would love to have a seat of SW but it is a little out of my price range for home hobby useage.
Keep up the great work.
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
97 Posts
Glass added, and rendered.