HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2014, 06:51 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,826 Posts
By current rules, I don't think it's a peanut. The FAC rules seem to go by span alone, and I can't find any AMA rules for this event. This Sky Pup "peanut" only qualified as a peanut under the old 9 inch fuselage rule. I'm not sure the 9 inch rule was universally adopted in the first place. If the model is per the stated scale, wingspan will be 17 3/4" or so. You'd have to scale it down to 73 percent to get a 13 inch span.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2014, 11:40 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,310 Posts
IIRC, the 9" max. fuselage rule was temporary FAC proposal to allow a larger variety of prototype aircraft types to qualify as a "peanut". There were several designs published in MB and other publications about the time of the Sky Pup. Never saw an explanation as to why the rule was abandoned. I believe the British still use it at some of their scale events (correction, please).

AMA has been letting FAC dictate FF scale event rules, as the designated Special Interest Group. Not a complaint, just an observation. However , I believe the proper context/understanding is very important.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jan 03, 2014, 12:34 AM
Joined Dec 2001
6,826 Posts
Wasn't the 9 inch rule original from a club in Miami?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2014, 01:22 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
Good memory, lincoln

I searched my scanned&OCRd copies of Model Builder and found this in the May 1978 edition (p.122):

Quote:
NEW PEANUT RULE?
According to The Hangar Pilot, edited by Dr. John Martin, the Miami indoor flyers have instigated a new club Peanut rule: In an effort to inspire greater interest in other than dull, low-aspect ratio models, they now allow a choice: A model can be either 13 inch wingspan, or 9 inch fuselage length. Object? To allow high-aspect ratio subjects to be competitive. Doubtless we shall hear more, pro and con, on this experiment.
this in October 1978 p.131

Quote:
AND SPEAKING OF PEANUTS
Dr. John Martin reports enthusiasm for the new M.I.A.M.A. Peanut rules, which offer a choice between the traditional 13 inch wingspan upper limit, or a 9 inch maximum fuselage length. The goal was to enable the high-aspect ratio " Iong-wingers" to be more competitive against the low-aspect ratio subjects. George Chaulet, of France, likes the idea, but opines that a 10 inch fuselage length limit would be more convenient for metric~system oriented countries" since it converts exactly.
Jan 1979 p. 108

Quote:
Dr. Martin also proposes to institute allowance of Peanut models with either a 13-inch span wing or a 9-inch fuselage length, in order to allow high aspect ratio designs a better chance. However, the Ohio " Buzzard Droppings" newsletter retorts: "We are not too sure just what this change is expected to accomplish, but the current rule works very well indeed, and to mess with something that is working as it should is likely to result in great trouble. Let's leave Peanut alone."
Then, 8 years of silence on the issue before May 1987 p.52

Quote:
Erla 5A. By WALT MOONEY . .. The Perfesser is back, and this time with a real cutie. You can build it as a 9-inch
MIAMA-rule Peanut (no longer AMA legal), or get the plans for a Jumbo Scale with a 36-inch span.
Then... nothing until Dec 1993 p.43

Quote:
The Hi·Max homebuilt aircraft developed by T.E.A.M. of Tennessee lends itself beautifully to Peanut scale, having simple lines, a wide range of scale color schemes and detailing, various types of engines and exhausts, and last but not least. lots of wing area. This model follows M.I.A.M.A. club rules, which permit an overall length from the rear of the propeller of 9 inches; in this case resulting in it wingspan of 14·3/4 inches.
Another, similar mention in Dec 1995 p.45, for a FF Kitfox is the last mention before MB closed shop.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Jan 03, 2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 04:08 AM
Joined Jun 2011
566 Posts
Model builder free flight plans

Hi,

We head this time to the December 1980 issue of MODEL BUILDER.

The cover shows STEVEN PHILPOTT’S A/2 being launched by wife Christine. Christine also acts as time keeper.

Photo by none other then JOHN O’DONNELL

The first free flight plan the KG.S by HENRY STRUCK from the 1940”s is a great looking vintage pylon power model .Wingspan is 66 inches and it seems quite a rare one to see flying theses days.

Next was a lovely scale rubber model for the AUSTER J-5.

This is the work of STEVE GARDNER and has a wingspan of 18 inches

Steve said he designed for easy and light construction and it flies very well if care is taken.

To the full size peanut plan and in this issue it was the EMBRAER “IMPANEMA” another by WALT MOONEY.

The Impanema is a low wing agricultural aircraft and with it’s long nose of ideal proportions for free flight rubber.

Next one I have never seen before and is a GEORGE D. WANNER and CO kit plan for the WEDELL-WILLIAMS racer. It seems it was a complete kit including, amongst other things, a machines balsa propeller, several colours of tissue and a packet of brass washers.

The plan includes a wealth of information on building. Wingspan is 30 inches.

Finally to AIRCRAFT DESCRIBED and PETER WESTBURG concludes his articles on the CURTISS SBC-4.

Cheers

Algy
algy2 is offline Find More Posts by algy2
Old Jan 03, 2014, 08:50 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,310 Posts
Thanks for the correction re: MIAMI 9" peanut rule.

So it appears quite a few models were built to the rule but why was it never adopted?
Old Jan 03, 2014, 09:27 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post
...why was it never adopted?
I believe it was all about tradition. Modelers are, like Sailors, as sensitive to change as are cats.Had the "9-inch rule" been part of the original Peanut Scale concept, we'd be seeing peanut-scale U-2s with etty-bitty teeny-tiny EDFs.

They should have given the 9-inch fuselage scale class the name of a different nut... like... LycheeNut
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2014, 10:15 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Over here (UK) the 9" fuselage rule was adopted into BMFA Peanut rules for indoor scale.

Jon
Yak 52 is online now Find More Posts by Yak 52
Old Jan 04, 2014, 01:50 AM
Joined Dec 2001
6,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak 52 View Post
Over here (UK) the 9" fuselage rule was adopted into BMFA Peanut rules for indoor scale.

Jon
Has anyone done a 33 inch Horten III peanut on your side of the pond? It ought to be legal. Actually, if you only count the "fuselage" you could probably go for a much larger span. Hmm...let's see. Then there's the Pathfinder.

The YB-35 (29 inches). And so on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2014, 05:04 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Lincoln,
We did have this from Pete Smart.
Flights were around 80 seconds but this sort of thing tends to lose out on static marks.

The 9" excludes the prop btw.
Yak 52 is online now Find More Posts by Yak 52
Old Jan 04, 2014, 09:28 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,310 Posts
When AMA adopted Peanut as an official event, a fellow took advantage of a slight oversight. There was no mention of motive power required. He produced a Rockwell XB-70 with 13" span, powered with a Cox..010. As flight endurance outweighed scale points, the model flew well (long) enough to win the Nationals event. IIRC, the rule got clarified right away!
Old Jan 06, 2014, 02:05 PM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Salem, SC
Joined Mar 2003
517 Posts
Salt Lake City Sadie

Here's Barney Taft's "Salt Lake City Sadie", FAI or Class A or B contest free-flight similar to Stan Hill's "Amazon", and published in June 1954 "Air Trails Hobbies for Young Men".

This is just from the magazine vice the fullsize plan, so is a bit rough, yet it's still quite readable. Very pretty! I've always admired the Amazon but never had enough space to fly one - maybe I'll build a Sadie with RC-assist to keep it over the field.

-Dave Plumpe
DPlumpe is offline Find More Posts by DPlumpe
Old Jan 06, 2014, 02:59 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post
When AMA adopted Peanut as an official event, a fellow took advantage of a slight oversight. There was no mention of motive power required. He produced a Rockwell XB-70 with 13" span, powered with a Cox..010. As flight endurance outweighed scale points, the model flew well (long) enough to win the Nationals event. IIRC, the rule got clarified right away!
Sal Taibi I hear.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jan 06, 2014, 06:08 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire View Post
Sal Taibi I hear.
Ahh the good old win at any cost syndrome and to hell with the spirit of the event
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Jan 06, 2014, 08:49 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,310 Posts
"Ahh the good old win at any cost syndrome and to hell with the spirit of the event" .

Is that ANYTHING like making a heretofore un- founded link/slur against a well respected modeler and competitor? Care to clarify?