HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2011, 03:58 PM
BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2006
22 Posts
Discussion
Elev controls on Bi Plane

Hello, I just finished building a Foamie 3D Bi Plane that a friend gave me, thought I had it all ready for its maiden flight and I noticed the elevator only works on the rear, shouldn't the elevator work on both the aileron's and the rear flaps ? if so how do I get them to work together ? everything else is working fine, the ailerons, rudder, etc, just wondering if the elevator should be contolling both ailerons and the rear flaps ??
Info apprieciated.
Ron
Ronnie2 is offline Find More Posts by Ronnie2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Ronnie,

If your BiPlane is a normal BiPlane, you should have a rudder(#4 on the receiver), a motor (#3 on the receiver), an elevator, which is attached to the horizontal stabilizer or tail (# 2 on the receiver) and two sets of ailerons, one set for the top wing and another set for the bottom wing (#1 on the receiver).

Each set of ailerons are joined together, top to bottom, by a wire so that when you move the control stick for ailerons to the left, the top and bottom aileron set on the left side of the airplane moves up and the aileron set on the right side of the airplane moves down, all in unison. And vice versa when you move the aileron stick to the right.

I'm asking these questions because I too have a 3D biplane and you may have a model that may be designed differently than mine.

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:22 PM
BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2006
22 Posts
Thanks HankG

Thanks HankG, yes, that is exactly how mine is set up and everything is working fine, for some reason I thought maybe the ailerons ( on both the top and bottom wings ) should also move up and down when I moved the elevator stick up & down, but after watching a few you tube videos it looks like only the rear elevator ( beside the tail ) moves up and down when I control the elevator. I would imagine with all the surface it has and with the amount of movement ( probably close to 3" each way ) it will probably do a stationary flip, or close to it. :-)
Thanks for your reply,
Ron
Ronnie2 is offline Find More Posts by Ronnie2
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:57 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Ron,

Everyone should have a Biplane in the hanger. They don't fly like a regular monoplane because of the friction caused by two wings instead of one, so make sure you're up a little higher when you start showing off to the bystanders. They do draw a few spectators.

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Last edited by hankg; Feb 13, 2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:08 AM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,034 Posts
Ron, For extreme 3D maneuvers some pilots do mix in the ailerons as flaps/spoilers with elevator. This is not specifically for bipes, and should be switchable as it will make the controls very pitch sensitive.
I have never needed this mix because most good 3d planes have a large enough elevator and tremendous deflection.
Alex
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:25 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,501 Posts
As said above, it's an option, (I use a switch to switch them on or off,) that you can program in. When used, they are called maneuvering flaps. You don't want to use any more than about 20% of the elev. throw. More than that and they try to overide the elevator. Normally you don't need them on a bipe, as they are very agile without them. Try it, just for an experiment though. Fun just to experiment. That's how you learn things.

Gord
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2