Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:18 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,906 Posts
Thank the gods that there is a program to manage QC and value the trade-offs. You will certainly be a valuable resource.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:44 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Hopefully Jay...Sadly, I am sure there are some very frustrated QC/engineer folks at Eflite that were not listened to. That is usually the case when something goes wrong. An extreme example would be the Challenger disaster.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:55 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,906 Posts
Hmmmm a multi billion dollar project that depends on a supplier that tenders the cheapest washers ????
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:28 PM
Make UAVs, not drones! ;-)
Vancouver, BC Canada...eh!
Joined Feb 2010
639 Posts
Just prepping my BNF for the weekend's maiden and all four motor bolts were loose. I got this piece of junk for Christmas and frankly I'm afraid to take it to the club!!! I already had to tape the receiver back in place after it fell out when I opened the hatch, wrestled the ill fitting wings for 20 minutes. I just want to know does BNF stand for " be no flying"?
jazzboy is offline Find More Posts by jazzboy
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:43 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,906 Posts
Wow yours must have been a Friday afternoon product. The wings on mine seemed a dud fit until I noticed theta the servo leads were being slightly pinched. You might find that being careful to tuck them in when fitting the wing solves that issue. The model is fantastic and when mine goes in, which it surely will.... I will replace it. The servos now are well documented as is the motor mounts. If I was EFlite, I would post a pre- flight check notice on the mounts and offer replacement servos as well. The problem for them is, the more out there the bigger the potential liability they have for not responding.

I am not the kind of guy that blames others for my shortcomings. I replaced my motor mount, esc and motor and all servos which make this an expensive model. I reported the issues on the servos to our distributor, kept the offending servo, and sent the link to this thread. I received no response other than where to buy spares.

This was a poor response given, I had already made it clear that I was not seeking compensation or replacement. It just seemed arrogant.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined Feb 2010
639 Posts
Thanks for the heads up but all wires were well clear of the opening. I have no doubt that the plane is a super flyer but for $400 the quality is laughable. If the corporation had any sense they would offer an opt out refund or exchange program.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 07:48 PM
USA, CA, Livermore
Joined May 2010
439 Posts
I bought one PNP..
Havnt had any trouble with it yet! Hopefully I dont jynx myself D:
RCSwitz18 is offline Find More Posts by RCSwitz18
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:24 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzboy View Post
Just prepping my BNF for the weekend's maiden and all four motor bolts were loose. I got this piece of junk for Christmas and frankly I'm afraid to take it to the club!!! I already had to tape the receiver back in place after it fell out when I opened the hatch, wrestled the ill fitting wings for 20 minutes. I just want to know does BNF stand for " be no flying"?
Keep us posted....if she goes down make sure you get video to put up and be sure to email Horizon Customer Service the link.

That is what I plan to do......
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:40 PM
Joined Feb 2010
639 Posts
Good call! But first I will see if they are willing to do a swap. E-Flite does have a lot of really cool products.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 02:06 PM
Richardson, TX
Joined Jan 2002
12 Posts
Another Carbon-Z Yak elevator servo issue

Hi,
I was flying my Carbon-Z Yak 54 today and noticed a weird behavior - the plane would randomly balloon up suddenly from level flight - even though I was not changing any control inputs. Happened both down wind and up.

Landed it quickly and when moving the elevator servo - I noticed it would not center at the same spot!

I have dozen or so flights on this plane - all on low rates - haven't done anything extreme - apart from a couple of loops and figure 8's.

Seems like there is a genuine QC issue on these. I am sure HH has a good policy to take care of this - but I could have been in a lot of trouble, had I not been able to control it and land the plane safely.

--
one2fly is offline Find More Posts by one2fly
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:03 PM
Joined Feb 2010
639 Posts
Maidened the beast today. Yes, the flight characterisitc are incredibly good. It really likes high rates, on low its kinda do-dee-do but fine for take offs and landings. Got 6 flights in and no major problems but I had the same poor centering on my rudder servo, did not check the others yet.

Still maintain that for $400 the quality is more no-name than name brand. Are you listening good folks from Horizon?

You have Mr. Somenzini's brilliant design on your roster, don't ruin it with some third rate factory turning out dreck instead of what could be the next step in foamy design with proper production.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:01 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
Wow yours must have been a Friday afternoon product. The wings on mine seemed a dud fit until I noticed theta the servo leads were being slightly pinched. You might find that being careful to tuck them in when fitting the wing solves that issue. The model is fantastic and when mine goes in, which it surely will.... I will replace it. The servos now are well documented as is the motor mounts. If I was EFlite, I would post a pre- flight check notice on the mounts and offer replacement servos as well. The problem for them is, the more out there the bigger the potential liability they have for not responding.

I am not the kind of guy that blames others for my shortcomings. I replaced my motor mount, esc and motor and all servos which make this an expensive model. I reported the issues on the servos to our distributor, kept the offending servo, and sent the link to this thread. I received no response other than where to buy spares.

This was a poor response given, I had already made it clear that I was not seeking compensation or replacement. It just seemed arrogant.

Horizon needs to MAN UP to the problem.....but as usual from that company....they pass the buck and make the customers pay for their problems (funny we are the same ones keeping their doors open). Arrogance.....agreed +1
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:53 PM
Joined Feb 2010
639 Posts
Dealt with an excellent rep at Horizon today and unlike the initial contact a couple months ago, this fellow was awesome and took very good care of me. There is hope!!!!!
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:20 AM
Joined Oct 2009
4 Posts
Close call(s)

Had trouble with the CZY since day one. LHS (seller) told me to be sure to balance the prop. Couldn't get the stock prop to balance. Bought another stock prop. Same thing. Bought APC equivalent. Balanced just fine and quickly. First flight, plane sounds like it's belching. Called HS again. He didn't have any noise issues with his, did you balance the prop, yes. ??? So I checked the motor mounts - they were very loose from the factory, was able to get about 2-3 FULL turns on the upper two screws and snug-up the bottom two. Finally, working as it should. 2 months and probably 75 flights later (day before yesterday) going vertical, BANG! BURRRRRRRP! Only had about 1/4 power, but landed it. ALL 4 flanges on the motor mount were broken off, the motor was being held on by the corner of one of the flanges. To make matters worse, I was removing the mount at home and with my finger, accidentally flicked a broken flange into my eye and went to the ER. Yes, that was very, very stupid (I wasn't even using power tools!) Eye's OK. But can't fly $400 foam plane because HH is out of stock on replacement "v2" motor mounts. Imagine that. I found a milled aluminum one from another source. I JUST read about the servo problems on this thread. Great. There goes another $75-$100. If I didn't LOVE the way it flies, I'd burn this evil thing - it's a love/hate relationship.
bonsairick is offline Find More Posts by bonsairick
Old Apr 16, 2011, 05:52 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,906 Posts
That's my experience with Italian cars. They call it character. The inverse relationship between price and quality.

I made a modified mount which I have used before in an MPX Acromaster so much more powerful motors can be installed. It is based around the gold motor mounts for 38mm motors from HK. Mine are glued on. Many very spirited flights and it is as smooth and solid as it should be. Mine has a scorp 900 kv for 5s and larger props. J