Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,089 Posts
Discussion
Just picked up a Solitaire Plus F5B plane - looking for info

This plane does not seem to be around anymore. anyone have one or maybe you are still flying one. I just picked up a Solitaire Plus at an estate sale. Looks brand new. Never assembled.

Anyone have English instructions for this? I have a sheet that appears to be in German.

There was no hardware kit so I will have to improvise with a motor mount, win and T-tail mount, push rods and such.

From your descriptions, this appears to be a hotliner. Looks like at least a warmliner.

From the link provided earlier in the thread I found a chart that suggests this little glider's maximum weight would be about 2.2 KG all up,
http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/togami/aframes.html

Can that be right? About 4.8 pounds, 76 ounces on a 1.6M wing span?

The empty frame is about 18 ounces. Figure 18 ounces for motor and prop (5 oz), 3 HS-81s (2.2 oz) or similar. ESC + receiver (1.5 oz), 2500 mah 3S battery (7 oz) + misc wire, push rods (2.3 oz) . That will take me to, maybe 36 ounces. Maybe 4 ounces to balance it, so 40 ounces.

It it going to fly well at that weight or am I going to have to pack in some lead or some big battery pack to load it up?

I am more of a thermal pilot than an high speed aerobat. Never owned a warmliner or a hotliner so I am out of my element. I am looking forward to playing with a warmliner type plane but want to set it up properly. I know nothing about this type of aircraft. So I hope you folks remember enough to give me some advice.

Got a brand new Stork 2, a 3M Mantis in good shape and a Taboo XL DLG (with flaps) and a at the same Estate sale
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Mar 28, 2015 at 05:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2015, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by Jebera
Brazil, MG, Belo Horizonte
Joined Oct 2006
541 Posts
Pictures please?!?!
Jebera is offline Find More Posts by Jebera
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,089 Posts
Haven't taken any photos yet. It is just a raw fuse, wing and tail. But I will try to get some photos taken by the weekend.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,089 Posts
Attached are some photos of the plane. Note that what you see is what I got. Note there is nothing to screw the tail into . Will have to figure a way to put some kind of threaded something in the top of the fin so I can mount the h-stab.

No pushrods or servo covers for the wings and no pushrod for the elevator. Easy enough to make.

Likewise there is nothing to screw the wind bolt into. Will have to make some kind of plate and blind nut arrangement. There is a tab on the front of the wing that clearly goes into a notch that I have to cut into the fuse.

No firewall was provided so I will make one out of plywood.

Fuse, wing and tail are in excellent condition. There is a pull string in the wing that goes to the center so I can fish wires through. I will have to cut out some kind of opening in the wing bottom in order to pull the aileron wires through.

There is a cover taped onto the tail where the elevator servo will go.

Tons of space in the fuse for batteries.

When I get around to trying to assemble it I will do a test balance with whatever motor and servos I am going to use to see how it will balance with lighter components.

The fuse + stab weighs 6.5 oz

The wing weighs 10.4 ounces

Call it 17 ounces. If my estimate in the first post is right, about 18 ounces for the stuff to go into it then the lightest I could bring it in would be about 35 ounces. Not sure how it will fly at that weight since is was designed to fly around 70 ounces.

Won't be getting to it any time soon so we may have a while to wait to answer that question.
Last edited by aeajr; Mar 28, 2015 at 05:32 PM.