New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by Mr MultiRotor 88
United Kingdom, England, Leics
Joined Feb 2015
63 Posts
Discussion
Recommendations for fpv 250 build

Hi everyone, I'm looking to build a new fpv 250 quad looking for recommendations on essentials, I recently built a DJI f450 which was easy, since all the parts are optimised for each other. I've decided on a naze32 flightboard already.

Now options are VAST and rather than search through endless threads and not reach a conclusion, I'm asking what people think works best.

Looking for decent reliable gear that will last, not low end budget chinese copy junk. That being said, I dont want to buy absolutely top spec gear.

Frame?

Motors?

ESC?

Battery - 4s / 3s - What mAh ?

Also FPV gear, Camera/VTX / antenna ?

Thanks

Michael
Mr MultiRotor 88 is offline Find More Posts by Mr MultiRotor 88
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by cmcurtola
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2015
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr MultiRotor 88 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm looking to build a new fpv 250 quad looking for recommendations on essentials, I recently built a DJI f450 which was easy, since all the parts are optimised for each other. I've decided on a naze32 flightboard already.

Now options are VAST and rather than search through endless threads and not reach a conclusion, I'm asking what people think works best.

Looking for decent reliable gear that will last, not low end budget chinese copy junk. That being said, I dont want to buy absolutely top spec gear.

Frame?

Motors?

ESC?

Battery - 4s / 3s - What mAh ?

Also FPV gear, Camera/VTX / antenna ?

Thanks

Michael
Frame - ZMR from Amazon.com ($35)
Motors - t-motor 2200kv ($25 each on ebay)
ESC's - Either KISS 18A ($20 each) or the RotorGeek 12A ($15 each)
Battery - 3S 1300-1400mah. The higher the C rating the faster your quad will be. Get some different batteries for different scenarios. 1300mah 25C for cruising. 1300mah 45-90C for racing. The 1400's are great too. Check out the multistar on hobbyking
FPV gear - I went with the base model Fatshark Teleporter V3. Works pretty good but my roommate has a better setup using the Fatshark Dominators and the Sony 600 cam. If you can afford better quality do it.
Props - 5030 Gemfan's (buy a crap load. you will break them)
Power Distribution - SimplePDB or the Overcraft PDB
OSD - Minim OSD
LED's - get the strips from hobbyking. you can wire them directly to the simplepdb.
Radio - Taranis X9D (hands down best bang for your buck and almost every youtube video i see they are using this radio)
Radio TX - Taranis X8R
Radio Battery - 3s LiFe battery from Hobbyking
Other stuff....
- 5mm locking heck nuts for the props
- heat shrink kit from amazon
- velcro straps
- clover antennae for fpv
- XT-60 battery connectors
- 8mm-18mm nylon screws

Here's a video with my quad build -
ZMR250 Mini Quadcopter Build Tips & Maiden Flight (Blackout Clone) (6 min 7 sec)

Here's a video of my quad's first flight -
First FPV Flight - ZMR 250 (4 min 7 sec)

Hope this helps. I know it was a pain in the ass for me to part everything out.

If this helped you, please subscribe to my channel and give me some thumb's ups!
cmcurtola is offline Find More Posts by cmcurtola
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:47 PM
Joined Feb 2015
63 Posts
Good work, answer a lot of questions already, but i still have a few more...!

Ive already got radio gear, (spektrum dx6) and a load of gemfan props lying around from my blade 200qx

Ive been looking at a QAV 250 frame, T-motors like you suggested (are these tiger motors or something different?) and lumenier 12a esc. Overpriced or quality that will last ? Thats the frame, leds & pdb taken care of..

What are the pros/cons of using 2000kv motors over 2300?

I'll also be buying fatshark dominators, and probably a sony cam. What sort of vTx does your roommate use?

battery - will using 4s give any real benefits ? ill probably use 35c for good all-round power.

Thanks for your help, subscribing and liking now!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:51 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2015
72 Posts
Quote:
Good work, answer a lot of questions already, but i still have a few more...!

Ive already got radio gear, (spektrum dx6) and a load of gemfan props lying around from my blade 200qx

Ive been looking at a QAV 250 frame, T-motors like you suggested (are these tiger motors or something different?) and lumenier 12a esc. Overpriced or quality that will last ? Thats the frame, leds & pdb taken care of..

What are the pros/cons of using 2000kv motors over 2300?

I'll also be buying fatshark dominators, and probably a sony cam. What sort of vTx does your roommate use?

battery - will using 4s give any real benefits ? ill probably use 35c for good all-round power.

Thanks for your help, subscribing and liking now!
QAV is a sweet frame! You'll like it.

From all my research, the rotorgeeks are the best bang for your buck.

I used a 4s battery with my old afro esc's and it fried two of them. The rotorgeeks should handle a 4s fine. Just be careful with your camera. You may need a 5v step down for the sony cam (not sure). The 4s was insane while it lasted. I bought the 4s that is made for the TBS Gemini.

Pro's and Con's of the motors? I'm not sure about this one. Sorry

My roomie is using the 2.4ghz immersion rc video tx. Expensive but quality.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:54 PM
Joined Feb 2015
63 Posts
I tried using moongel with my f450 build and a cc3d, it didnt hold the board in place even with zip ties and "level" kept shifting about! i ended up using 3 layers of 1mm foam tape I had lying around! It was rock solid after that and doesnt get any vibration interference
Old Mar 12, 2015, 04:02 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2015
72 Posts
Quote:
I tried using moongel with my f450 build and a cc3d, it didnt hold the board in place even with zip ties and "level" kept shifting about! i ended up using 3 layers of 1mm foam tape I had lying around! It was rock solid after that and doesnt get any vibration interference
Nice! I was able to ziptie my cc3d down quite well with the moongel

Forgot to mention my flight controller - I'm using the CC3D from hobbyking. Very easy to work with. A lot of great videos out there.