Old Jun 27, 2015, 03:19 AM
Find More Posts by minirotor
QLD Australia
Joined Oct 2009
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kintash View Post
Hello Everybody,

After looking at DLGs for some time, about two months ago I acquired my Libelle. Sure enough, it became my plane with most flight time on it. I usually fly it at the beach. The build was pretty forward, but I made a few modifications. Since I am not familiar with NIMH batteries I elected to use LIPOs.
I used
-3A gimbal BEC from eBay,
-4 CH Frsky receiver with telemetry from AloftHobbies
-Frsky voltage sensor from AloftHobbies
- 2S Hyperion 550 MAh LIPO from Skip Miller Models
- fishing lead
-Beacon Foam Tac glue from Aloft Hobbies

I made the battery bay bigger, picked up a few fishing lead weights which I pounded flat and glued into the bottom of the battery bay. Thin led is easy to cut and that made the final trim adjustment well... easy. Yes! I have telemetry with voltage alert, however, after hours of flying I never had the low voltage come on. I set it to 6.5 V .
After trimming I was amazed how well it flew.
After a few flights I came across only two flaws.
The rudder popped off at landing. Maybe I used the wrong CA glue. I decided to have all my gluing needs done with Beacon Foam Tac glue. Sure enough Foam Tac works well. The battery eject issue at launching made my Libelle head for the ground at a 45 degre angle. Sure enough, according to the manual that indicated that my CG was set right but I had to do some more gluing on the fuselage. Since tha I use a rubber band to secure the canopy. It sustained the impact pretty well only 3 servos got stripped. I figured that the Blue Arrow 3g servo from Hobby King has the same exact gear train as the original servo. The HK one has metal output shaft. so I swapped the stripped gears.
The next mishap happened after I landed my glider on a bicycle path where a cyclist ran it over. He rode over the wing and the tail. Surprisingly the foam completely sustained the accident, only the carbon boom and the plastic elevator bracket broke. I managed to fix all the damages so my Libelle keeps dancing in the air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjJy9EYE6OM
Looks good kintash.
The Libelle is a great 'light' air sloper[very few other gliders will beat it]
But when the wind gets up a fair bit, they are good too.
If you want to really throw it around on the slope--max out all your controls surface movements[I even add 25mm to the rudder width] and 'bigger servos' on the ailerons.
They are very big ailerons and require a very high torque servo to get max movement when flying.
I ended up with D60 servos in the wing to get a descent roll rate at 'all' speeds.
And a C of G of 10mm behind spar to get good loops[inside and outside]
A little positive and negitive flap on you throttle stick helps with the loops too, and for very weak lift on the ridge.
Don't try to DLG with those settings though--they are far too much for gentle thermal sniffing.

M
minirotor is offline Find More Posts by minirotor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2015, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by kintash
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
After the biker rode over it I couldn't look at it for a few days. I didn't even assess the damages just ordered an other one. I also ordered 4 Power HD DSM-44 Digital Metal Gear Micro Servos from Value Hobby. I heard good things about them.
When I finally pulled out the broken Libelle from the trunk of my car, that's where I saw that it may be fixable. So I ended up with the fixed Libelle, 4 metal gear micro servos and a unopened Libelle still in the box. I decided before I assemble the new one I will I fly the life out of my first one.
But as far as I can see the new Libelle will remain boxed for a long time
kintash is offline Find More Posts by kintash
Old Jun 27, 2015, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by kintash
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
If you want to really throw it around on the slope--max out all your controls surface movements[I even add 25mm to the rudder width] and 'bigger servos' on the ailerons.
They are very big ailerons and require a very high torque servo to get max movement when flying.
I ended up with D60 servos in the wing to get a descent roll rate at 'all' speeds.
And a C of G of 10mm behind spar to get good loops[inside and outside]
Thanks for the advise. Ill try to enhance the trows on the ailerons and rudder. I still have to work on my stick skills too.
kintash is offline Find More Posts by kintash
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by sdstick
Flying RC since 1962
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Mar 2006
1,365 Posts
Is the jury in on what IS the best servo for Libelle yet????

I just ordered my Libelle today after trying not to for quite a while. I was at a nearby Kroger last night... looked over and lo and behold there was a very flyable Libelle size SLOPE!!!!! You just don't see many flyable slopes here in TN... you think you would but you don't... the ones you do see would never ever return your airplane back to you.

Glad to be on board here!
sdstick is offline Find More Posts by sdstick
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Flying RC since 1962
Joined Mar 2006
1,365 Posts
Just curious....

Has anyone done any dynamic soaring with the Libelle??
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by JohnVH
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
3,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstick View Post
Is the jury in on what IS the best servo for Libelle yet????

I just ordered my Libelle today after trying not to for quite a while. I was at a nearby Kroger last night... looked over and lo and behold there was a very flyable Libelle size SLOPE!!!!! You just don't see many flyable slopes here in TN... you think you would but you don't... the ones you do see would never ever return your airplane back to you.

Glad to be on board here!
The Emax ES9051 Digital Micro Servo from Value Hobby has been working great for me yet, and inexpensive

Dream-Flight Libelle DLG glider unboxing and first few flights (10 min 39 sec)
JohnVH is online now Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
Flying RC since 1962
Joined Mar 2006
1,365 Posts
Does it fit the pockets well?

Thanks btw
Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
Find More Posts by teckbot
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
The Emax ES9051 Digital Micro Servo from Value Hobby has been working great for me yet, and inexpensive
I like your video showing the two different perspectives of the pilot
teckbot is online now Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Today, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by JohnVH
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
3,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstick View Post
Does it fit the pockets well?

Thanks btw
You do have to do a little cutting, they are a little bit bigger in size

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckbot View Post
I like your video showing the two different perspectives of the pilot
Thanks! I try to do something different than most in my vids.
JohnVH is online now Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Today, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Fly safe, fly often!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post

Thank you so much for posting that video!

Very inspirational - makes me wanna build mine but with some very unexpected "emergencies" happening this summer, I'm probably going to have to wait until Fall

Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man