New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by caveeagle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by caveeagle
United States, IL, St Charles
Joined Dec 2010
194 Posts
Discussion
Harbor Freight v-tail twin pusher conversion??

I bought this little v-tail twin pusher from HF a year (or so) ago on an impulse. I never expected much from it. I got a spare wing and thought it would be fun for a couple hrs.

Now I am get back into RC planes and am building a glow trainer kit with my son. I am also working on (slowly) re-covering my old Sr Falcon that would make a good 2nd trainer for my son (and me).

I still have this little HF 'toy'. I flew it twice and put it in the closet. It flew and climbed we enough. The method of control in just the two elec motors that each operate on and independent ESC. I found it virtually imposible to control. There is no rudder or elevator. The the two motor controls that are almost effective. I consider myselfe lucky to have gotten this little bird back into the field for a rough landing.

It actuall flew fairly well. Other than the control issues. I wonder how hard would it be to convert this to traditional RC controls. I have a Spektrum Tx. So I can pick up a park flyer Rx and some micro servos pretty cheap.

Here are the challenges. (as I see them.)
-converting the two independant ESC into a single control. (throttle only)
-Running two pushrods back to the V-tail. Maybe just using to carbon fiber rods??
-packing the traditional radio gear and battery in the small cockpit pod.

Advantages:
-I already have the plane
-It is small and light
-Spare wings are available at HF (for now) ~$6 ea.

http://www.harborfreight.com/general...ane-92304.html
caveeagle is offline Find More Posts by caveeagle
Old Jan 31, 2011, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by space 1
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,482 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1379408. yea i got one to. was working on same. you should be able to hook both esc to RX. Might change v tail to elev rudder for control. make sure you keep CG.
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:40 PM
Joined Dec 2010
194 Posts
I wonder if you could rig up a aileron / elivator set-up with no rudder. The wing has virtually no dihedral.

I was in my HF a couple weeks ago and they still had plenty of spare wings.

My son lost the hatch cover when he flew in into some bushes, but we just put some tape over the hole. This is certainly not a project that we want to sink a lot of time or money into. Just a fun idea to tinker with.

Maybe this weekend, I will take apart the fuse to see what's in there.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:50 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,482 Posts
you could just use aileron. from my flying the bee it has natural elivator just use throttle
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Dec 2010
194 Posts
That might be an easy solution if there is only room for 1 servo. I would thing that if going through all the trouble to install a new Rx, I would want to add an elivator.

I think my Dx5 has delta-wing (ailevon?) mixing but not V-tail.

Maybe just leave the V-tail config and run both sided with the same pushron as elevator only. and just steer with ailerons? I am not at home, so I am not sure how to get the aileron linkage around the twin motors.

Do you think you can adapt the twin ESC to run together? Or will you replace the ESC system?
Old Feb 02, 2011, 04:53 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,482 Posts
not sure I think my Dx5 has delta-wing (ailevon?) mixing but not V-tail. same thing
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:48 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,482 Posts
broke open the bee today no way to use old rx &esc. need new rx& esc owell
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:26 PM
Joined Dec 2010
194 Posts
I just did the same thing. If we could find a cheap esc that would work with the twin engines, a parkflyer Rx can be had from HK pretty cheap.

Any idea what esc would work?

After looking closely, I don't think ailerons would be a good option.

V-tail control would be best. I wonder how it would fly with the Ailevon mixing that our Dx5e offers. Obciously the elevator function would work. I am not sure what would happen with one 'V' up and one down. I would think it would cause it to bank and turn to some degree.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:47 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,482 Posts
yes v tail works good for turning just hard to set up. as for esc got to figure out amp draw
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:53 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,482 Posts
as for v tail turning most turn's has one up & one up some as elevator not one up & one down. light elevator input then turn input.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
i have 3 yellow bees best mod you can do do it is leave it be in the closet

or if you need to fly it just remember full forward will make you elevate no throtle you fall(gracfully and slowly)

only way to actualy turn with it is to stop throttle when you want to turn

the engines will slow by 20 percent rpm on the side that you want it to steer to whilst if the mortors are stopped and you press left the left only! will prceed at half throttle allowing much smaller turns
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:35 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,482 Posts
don't give up
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:40 AM
Joined Dec 2010
194 Posts
I just got a small and cheap 9g micro servo in the mail. I see no reason why I could not fit two of these in the fuse to control the v-tail on the yellow bee.

It might actually fly better with just aileron and elev control. The twin-pusher set-up will make the aileron controls tough to execute. The only thing stopping me is my lack of knowledge on how to set up an ESC that would work with the twin.(brushed) motors.

The original controls are just a two stage power to both motors. Independant control to both motors allows turning (in theory). It would be nice to just mod the original Rx board to control the motors. I would also be satisfied with a simple on/of switch for the motors.

This is deffinately a back-burner project. I just like the idea.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 02:48 PM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,482 Posts
just put micro RX in with servo' s. I whould use one servo alerons doint need elev plane is set up to climb