HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:42 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
886 Posts
nice! im 99% sure your plane could easily carry an 8400 battery. and a gopro. and fpv transmitter.

i have a 60 inch kfm4 flying wing and it carried a 4600 battery and a gopro easy, lift wise, it was just a little underpropped.
corsair2014 is offline Find More Posts by corsair2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:21 AM
Joined Aug 2012
40 Posts
MK-1 Progress

Alright, well the MK-1 has come a long way since I last posted... Its done! It turned out better than I thought and I hope it flys as well as it looks. The only thing left to do is so minor adjustments to the control surfaces and paint it. I also have to rig up a bungee launch system for it, but that will be quick and easy. Feels and looks so nice with the covering on everywhere. I no longer have to worry about it being exposed anymore. Since I have missed a few updating posts I will just post the pics from the last week on different entries here. There was a lot of work put in to get it ready, more than I expected but I think it will pay off!
mattius7 is offline Find More Posts by mattius7
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:23 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,361 Posts
Having done this a time or two, I would suggest this.......

Find you a nice hayfield with some tall grass in it. Set up your controls with a little reflex. Take your wing and hand launch it into the wind - no power - and just test glide it. If it tracks nice and true with no tendencies to break on any axis, set up for the next launch, gently toss it into the wind and.....

FLOOR IT!

.... OK, got lost in the moment there for a minute... Actually you might try just extending the glide by judicious use of power. Sometimes when you "floor it" the dang thing will torque roll on you and you'll left to figure out whether it was controls or torque.

Good luck!

Gene
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
Having done this a time or two, I would suggest this.......

Find you a nice hayfield with some tall grass in it. Set up your controls with a little reflex. Take your wing and hand launch it into the wind - no power - and just test glide it. If it tracks nice and true with no tendencies to break on any axis, set up for the next launch, gently toss it into the wind and.....

FLOOR IT!

.... OK, got lost in the moment there for a minute... Actually you might try just extending the glide by judicious use of power. Sometimes when you "floor it" the dang thing will torque roll on you and you'll left to figure out whether it was controls or torque.

Good luck!

Gene
Thank you Centex! I just bought a bungee launch system, but the hand launches in tall grass are definitely happening... If it looks ok there I will swith to light bungee launches with no power and increase power until shes flyin! Thanks for the input, going to try and get it in the air today!

Matt
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Aug 2012
40 Posts
Mk-1 Maiden was 50% successful...

Ok, so we got it hooked up on the bungee. Let it go and it fell to the ground gently on its belly under know power. We then backed it up a little further and we released it and I gave it some power and it looked good for about 1 second then out of no where it tipped back(right about the point or where the bungee was attached) and it landed on its top. I think the prop was still spinning a little bit and when it hit the ground it bent one of the arms that connects one of the blades to the point of it breaking one side of the head of the bolt off. I have to get another prop shaft/spinner because this one has bent prop arms now.

No biggie, I can get one tomorrow. It looked good until the power hit, I think it might have been the rookie mistake of either not having the weight in the right spot or the fact that I didnt have the weight tied down internally properly. Either way the plane survived its first encounter with the sky and lives to see another launch!

Will keep ya posted on its progress!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Jan 2012
886 Posts
dude lookin sick! can't wait to see the paint job(;

im about ready to start hotwiring. home depot doesnt sell the two inch insulation foam though

where did you get yours? thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:52 PM
Joined May 2009
781 Posts
Hi ...mattius7.
Just thought I would show you how I have been launching my 100 inch FPV flying wing.
I have installed a tow hook for the bungee assisted launch but have not used it yet.
So far it has had three dives off the.cliff , all were successful launches.
Model is the Windrider Queen Bee.
Longest flight time so far is 1 hour 20 minutes.
....Pete

launching the QB (1 min 0 sec)
Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Slowfly FPV
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:39 AM
Joined Aug 2012
40 Posts
Hey Pete, I dont know if Im that ambitious with this thing yet haha. I'll take my chances with the ground, but thats one hell of a way to do it I must say! Wow! over an hour of flight time, I could only dream of that kinda time in the air. What does your plane weigh and what kind of batteries are you using? My wing is 82" and weighs a little over 1 kg with battery.

I think earlier I rushed trying to get it gliding and thats why the prop spinner broke. Next run I will take more time with figuring the correct COG and do more glide tests before I just punch it. I am also getting use to how much pull on the hook this thing can take, just seems like a lot of tension for some foam and epoxy... Hopefully I will get a good launch and run this next time out, should be in a couple days.

Thanks for the input Pete!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:02 AM
Joined May 2009
781 Posts
The Queen Bee AUW is 3.2kg with one 4500mAh lipo for motor and one 3800mAh for fpv equipment and to get the right center of gravity.
The long flight times are thermal assisted....yep this bird will ride thermals if set up correctly.
Other QB pilots have carried 10,000mAh without a problem... except mastering the art of launching.
The bungee is only there to get the model up to flying speed quickly so the motor can be started.
Height above ground is not the goal with the bungee.....12 to 15 lbs of pull on the bungee should be around the ball park.
My bungee is two 10 meter lenghts of 8mm surgical tubing and 5 meters of dacron cord with the parachute/flag to help the tow ring clear the hook and model as soon as possible so the large folding prop can be started.
....Pete
Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Slowfly FPV
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:26 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I don't see any issues other than power that would limit you from carrying more packs. I can fly my Scout Bees for over an hour - so I think you will be fine.

I launch my 60" Bee with 10,000mAh (3s) with no issue... and it only has 440 watts. I have also hand launched (nose grab) this wing with 18,000mAh (3s) as well.

2x3s5000 packs

60" Scout Bee : OVERHEAD LAUNCH (0 min 23 sec)

My other Bee has 4s 20,000mAh and I hand launch it as well. It's also what I'd call "underpowered" by todays 600+ watt setups as well. Again - I do the nose-grab and off she goes as well. I've yet to need a launcher.

I also do a powered launch (lots of people are scared of it) but the finger holes keep the rig secure in my hand. I rarely use this launch but it is an option. < insert your chopped off finger jokes here - LOL >

WINDRIDER SCOUT BEE LAUNCH (1 min 41 sec)

I can't wait to see this thing in action --- she looks GREAT!! Great job!
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Last edited by SENTRY 62; Feb 14, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
886 Posts
dude that scout bee looks sick...(:
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Jul 2008
264 Posts
mattius7,

Very nice looking bird.

I was looking at the pictures on post#32 and noticed that your prop seems to be really close to the fuse, and your fuse looks quite thick in front of that prop. This may reduce the efficiency of your motor and possibly cause some weird vacuum or cavitation type of effect.

Check this out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post11441060

my two cts.
Mecha is offline Find More Posts by Mecha
Last edited by Mecha; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: include link
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:41 AM
Joined Jul 2008
264 Posts
Also a nother good reference is the book
Airplane Aerodinamics and Performance by Roskam and Lan
look at section 7.5.7 page 298 if they have the book on you local library.
Mecha is offline Find More Posts by Mecha
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:44 AM
Joined Aug 2012
40 Posts
MK-1 Progress

Thank you to everyone who has posted here recently, every time someone posts something or information related to my project I learn oodles! Sentry your planes are bad ass and your methods of launching them are sick! I especially like the powered up vertical overhand launch off the cliffside, that was some good footage. Mecha the information you provided about the props relation to the fuse was very interesting and it led me into all sorts of readings about how props can work more efficiently and also that I have a bunch to learn about just props themselves. So thanks again to everyone, I really appreciate the information and support!

I have the new prop assembly installed and the wing has been looked over again to make sure everything is in place. I have reset the COG and added a bunch of weight to the battery compartment. I now feel like the plane doesnt want to fall on its prop and it now feels as if the COG is where it needs to be. Only a couple more launches will tell me how close I am to having this thing ripping through the air. I have even devised a pretty nifty little launch tool that my buddy is going to use to get it launched while I man the controls. I'll include some pics of it here in the post. Some of the other photos are of the damaged prop adapter which has been replaced with a thicker/bigger one, the prop blades were changed as well.

Hoping to get a launch day in this weekend, possibly tomorrow. I will update after the next launch to let you guys know how successful it was or wasn't!