HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2014, 08:38 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deonjams View Post
We are creatures of habit. Most of my bigger helis set up this way (with separate bec) - have not tried LiFe option yet. Pros and cons?
The only con I have been able to come up with is the fact that you have to charge it and keep up with it.

But since I do it on all my aircraft that are 5s or larger, it is habit, and I am very good about it.

I have had BEC's fail. There is also never a worry of a lag to the servos seeing that liFe batteries are 6.6v. I use lipos where I have all HV servos and Life where I have 6v servos.

Also there is less chance of failure in my mind because the only circuit you are dealing with is the pos and neg leads of you battery.

Less components to fail
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2014, 09:30 AM
Joined Dec 2011
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
The only con I have been able to come up with is the fact that you have to charge it and keep up with it.

But since I do it on all my aircraft that are 5s or larger, it is habit, and I am very good about it.

I have had BEC's fail. There is also never a worry of a lag to the servos seeing that liFe batteries are 6.6v. I use lipos where I have all HV servos and Life where I have 6v servos.

Also there is less chance of failure in my mind because the only circuit you are dealing with is the pos and neg leads of you battery.

Less components to fail
It's also heavier to use a separate battery, but in these bigger 6S/12S models that shouldn't be an issue. Having just got back into the hobby in the last 3 years after a 30 year gap from having flown planes, I have just followed the bigger players (Align, KDS, Blade) practices, and they all use BEC's in the bigger 550+ helis, some with separate battery. Haven't thought beyond that design yet
deonjams is offline Find More Posts by deonjams
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:16 AM
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
316 Posts
I have YGE 120LV in my'n, using a scorpion back-up guard for insurance. This is my main go-to machine, great heli!
emeraldc is offline Find More Posts by emeraldc