HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:38 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Discussion
Using different brands of rattle can paint for different colors?

Started painting a plane this afternoon. Base is the Rustoleum Universal paint in Titanium Silver Metallic, sprayed on silver coverlite/litespan. I'm going to let it dry for at least 3 days, but then plan on masking and painting a second color. The color I picked is the blue Krylon Fusion. I will run tests, but does anyone know off hand if these two brands of paint will have compatibility issues? Looking at the cans and the directions, they almost seem to be similar types of paint, designed to work on unprimed plastic and other materials.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:08 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,179 Posts
In my experience, I find that sticking with the same brand of rattle can paint is best.

I also feel, that for my use, Rustoleum is a superior product to Krylon.

The designated usage for both products may be similar, but I'd bet that the chemical composition is different.

I don't know if this is pertinant to your application, but I find Rustoleum to be fuel and gas resistant. Krylon has not shown these properties to me.

These models have all been painted with Rustoleum.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump