HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:56 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,452 Posts
NC,
My bad...I don't think I've ever seen the video? Either way I hope you surpass the current 25mm speed record with the Twin.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:54 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
No reduced thrust tube yet. I am going to see what improvement that can make. I have a baseline of approx 72mph, so I'll see how much more it can do.

I just did several short spool ups on 4s. At a full 16v, it hits 14a (220w) and over 200g of thrust. Don't know how long the motor would hold up at that level, but I think we'll be finding out
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Nov 14, 2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:15 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
I've gotten in 2 , 4s flights today at about 160w (voltage sag). I'm not going to make any speed claims other than to say "it's faster than 3s". You can quote me on that.

I'm going to try to get some video tonight if I can beat the sun home. If not it will be tomorrow.

Check back in about 4 hr.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:18 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
Just got some video finally. Camera was too low most of the time, but I caught a little of the plane flying. You can definitely hear the passes and the Speedo readout. The space is somewhat confined for flying this fast, so the passes aren`t textbook, but they are close enough to get a good idea of the jet`s capabilities.

I need to find a nice big park around here to really cut her loose.

I`ll post the video in a couple of hours.

The good Speedo passes were consistently in the mid 80`s with my final pass, with the best run up, reading 89.4 mph.

If someone can put them on wavescope, we can look at the curves, and make sure I wasn`t getting false readings because of pulling up or turning too soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:20 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
PS, can`t wait for my 65c 450`s to get here. Yee Ha!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
I just did several short spool ups on 4s. At a full 16v, it hits 14a (220w) and over 200g of thrust. Don't know how long the motor would hold up at that level, but I think we'll be finding out

Those are some impressive numbers Lee. Any idea how the motor temp was after the flight? I did some 3s static testing a while back, the results were great but the motor became warm pretty quick. Would be really curious to know how many flights you get at that power level. Great job pushing the limits! Much appreciated!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:00 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
I'm converting the video now so that it can be uploaded to YouTube. I should have it up in about 45 min or so.

About the video. There's not a lot to see except that the weather was perfect and my park is too small. It's mostly sound effects. You can see the plane launch and land, and there are a few glimpses of it in the air, but mostly it's just what I call a " proof of flight video " if ya know what I mean.

The best and fastest pass is at 2:44. I let the lipos rest for a big circuit, then powered up before making a smooth 180 turn into the run. I was smooth on the sticks, got it lined up without too much control input and was able to stay in the power longer than any of the other passes. The result was 89.4 according to Speedo, so the better technique paid off.

If someone wants to put some of the passes on Wavescope, it would be interesting to see how it compares.

Also these lipos are hitting some pretty bad voltage sag. I'm thinking that with another 50 to60 watts (about a 33% increase from here), mid to upper 90's should be possible with this fan. I am going to have to refine and slightly enlarge the airframe to accept and carry the larger cells and bigger esc, but pretty impressive for the stock SA motor and fan.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:09 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Those are some impressive numbers Lee. Any idea how the motor temp was after the flight? I did some 3s static testing a while back, the results were great but the motor became warm pretty quick. Would be really curious to know how many flights you get at that power level. Great job pushing the limits! Much appreciated!

Well conditions are perfect for edf right now with temps around 60F. My batteries are dead in my laser thermometer right now, I'll get that working and check some temps. So far the windings look good and with a rewind and better wire, who knows what the limit is for this little motor.

I do have 3 flights on 4s now and so far so good.

I did have to go from med to high timing on the esc when I went from 3s to 4s.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:14 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post

About the video. There's not a lot to see except that the weather was perfect and my park is too small. It's mostly sound effects. You can see the plane launch and land, and there are a few glimpses of it in the air, but mostly it's just what I call a " proof of flight video " if ya know what I mean.
the awesome sound of an edf gets me motivated to fly i fly my edf's in a big field that is mostly surrounded by large condos....the sound just echos all over...good stuff
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:54 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
the awesome sound of an edf gets me motivated to fly i fly my edf's in a big field that is mostly surrounded by large condos....the sound just echos all over...good stuff
Well if you like the sound, then you should like this. The little Hot Spot is screamin` in this vid.

20121114 183846 (3 min 16 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Nov 23, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:35 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
Giddyup Lee!

I ran that 2:44 pass through wavezone Doppler and got 87mph!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:04 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
Thanks Dave, so at least RC Speedo is in the ballpark at 89 on that one.

Edit.....PS I ran RC speedo while watching the YT video and it measured 87.5 on the pass at 2:44. I think the mike was somewhat covered when I did it live during the flight.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Dec 02, 2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: New RC Speedo result
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:26 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
More flying

Well, I haven`t flown the Nanospot in about a week due to work and weather, but this morning early, the wind was only at about 7mph and I had my new 450 65c lipos ready so I put up a 3s flight. This is 96g auw and about 130g thrust on the 3 blade 35mm SA rotor.

This little jet is an awesome flier. Easy to launch, easy to fly, fairly easy to see, and as fast as you want to go if you put about 150w to it.

Problem, after pushing my 12a esc passt its specs for a few 4s flights, it gave up this morning on 3s after almost 3min with a lot of the flight at high power. I still had the bec power so I landed with just a little damage (had to land down wind and forgot to switch to high rate on pitch control), just hurt the nose cone and wrinkled the nose a little.

Love the way it flies, but it has some limitations, so I`m going to build a new Nanospot and change a few things.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Dec 02, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:28 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,874 Posts
New Airframe for the Nanospot......NST-30

Here is my list of changes for the Nanospot.

1) Make the airframe slightly larger. It will weigh almost 4oz, so it needs a little more wing.
2) Shift things around some to make it easier to achieve the correct cg
3) Make room for 4s 450mah lipos
4) Streamline or enclose the pushrods/control horns
5) Go to a 30mm shroud with a cutdown 40mm GWS rotor (like Dave`s fan) maybe even slightly smaller. I`m looking for more efflux speed.. I don`t need any more thrust
6) Looking to beat the current unofficial speed record of 90mph for a 30mm

I`m going to draw up some plans as I go (is that how you do it) and document the build so that it can be duplicated if anyone is intrested in doing one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:40 AM
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
Joined Jun 2011
229 Posts
Good luck
jahel is offline Find More Posts by jahel