HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Discussion
Tamiya Initial Tiger I conversion.

I recently bought two battle systems and my sons and I are having a blast. I have a Tamiya Tiger I and M4 from back when they first came out. I never used them much and a few years ago I converted the Tiger from an early Das Reich to one of the Leningrad initials.

I had to eliminate a few things, the storage bin, Feifels, track guards, escape hatch, smoke discharger and tool racks. Then I had to modify the front drivers port to a dual stepped sight, the front guards were angled, the front lower hull changed, the turret needed two gun ports and I installed the bare hubs on the front roadwheels.

It's good to get this running again.

Let me know what you think.

For fun, I gave Squidward the gunner's postion:

Hauptmann Squidward (0 min 19 sec)
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Last edited by ausf; Apr 04, 2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: content
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:37 PM
RC Tank n00b
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2007
168 Posts
That's extremely clever with attitude too boot - Love it ausf
A N Z A C is offline Find More Posts by A N Z A C
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A N Z A C View Post
That's extremely clever with attitude too boot - Love it ausf
Thanks, just added a micro servo and plugged it in with the turret channel, easy peesy. It's fun to make him shake his head at my son when he misses with the M4.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:09 PM
RC Tank n00b
New Zealand
Joined Oct 2007
168 Posts
Your Tiger1 has very nice level of weathering effect also - quite like the rear deck damage

A N Z A C is offline Find More Posts by A N Z A C
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
557 Posts
So THATS what my to be built Tiger I will look like. A man after my own heart! I love the look and the Intial TI is hawt without the bins and filters. I almost want to do the Vorpanzer Version too.

Mine will be just plain gray in color but I do like your weathering very much! Any step-by-step on how you did the white wash?

~ Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Thanks guys.

It's hypothetical of course, but my rendition if one of the Initials survived the winter. I'd probably mud it up some more, but it's really getting enough of that crashing through the backyard. The antenna and deck screen are actual battle casualties. The antenna slips out and is a replacement, I originally had a tapered steel one. I also lost the headlight, it even had a photo etched 'Bosch' detail. I had one remaining, but it's in the Dunkelgelb of the Das Reich.

I painted it a while ago, it's airbrushed Vallejo Panzer Grey (which correctly is near black) with the white balkenkruz, numbers and mammoth hand painted. A coat of Future and then some more Vallejo white AB'ed, they heavy hand painted and rubbed off. I don't think I clear coated because I wasn't done, but never went back. There's oil and fuel stains
(thinned paint in Future) as well as the rust (pigments). Over it's life it had quite a bit of photo etched details (Aber) that have been removed or knocked off. The Aber kit if beautiful and would definite use it if I build another.

Squidward was made with a blob of leftover Apoxie Sculpt as a goof, it was sitting on a shelf, so I figured, why not? His head moves with the slightest stick movement to either side, before the turret engages. I didn't think of the servo orientation when installing, so he looks opposite the turret direction.

I installed the battle systems inside the barrels (removed the flash charges) for more realistic accuracy and so far it's been great. Next the M4 needs some dressing up; sandbag armor, etc...
Last edited by ausf; Apr 04, 2012 at 06:19 PM.